Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Property Tax

Options
  • 07-05-2015 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Firstly this is not a rant about LPT. It's not a Political bias question.

My housing estate was taken over by the Drogheda council. It's not a council estate but they are responsible for the roads etc. I pay my LPT. Why would the estate comittee still need €80 from me and my neighbours for the upkeep of the area. Surely this is what my LPT is for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Councils don't do things like cut grass in common areas. The council looks after road repairs, public lights and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Is this wat LPT covers? I'm not being cheeky, I genuinely can't find anywhere what it covers. Before anyone says bank bailouts or politicians wages I will grant you a big YAWN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Is this wat LPT covers? I'm not being cheeky, I genuinely can't find anywhere what it covers. Before anyone says bank bailouts or politicians wages I will grant you a big YAWN

Its to help pay for local governance.
    Central grants to local governments have been cut over the last 4 years.

So is thast like street cleaning, lighting etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It goes towards the cost of local authorities. It's not to look after your property or your estate per se. It's a tax; not a management charge.
    Street lights, road repairs, litter wardens, parks, libraries etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In general when a council takes over, they will look after the maintenance of the road, paths, street lighting and large green areas. Stuff such as a strip of grass or a tree right outside your gate usually aren't maintained by the council and residents are expected to take care of these things themselves.
    Your LPT doesn't specifically go towards maintaining your area, it goes into the general funding pot for the local authority.

If your area is not part of a management company, then the estate committee are just a voluntary group trying to keep the place tidy. You have no obligation to pay them anything, though that doesn't mean you shouldn't. If you're not happy about handing over cash, then perhaps offer services in lieu - such as grass cutting or hedge trimming.

Ah grand, no ive always paid it, its just in the past 2 years im paying this LPT too which i taught was for the upkeep of areas. I taught that comittees etc could get grants for taking care of estates. I wouldnt expect them to keep outside my house tidy, I do that myself anyway. Cheers for the responses. Was just a bit pi55ed off that I was paying twice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    ... which i taught was...

...I taught that ...

Jeez, you've been doing a lot of teaching recently, haven't you?

well done

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

seamus wrote: »
    In general when a council takes over, they will look after the maintenance of the road, paths, street lighting and large green areas. Stuff such as a strip of grass or a tree right outside your gate usually aren't maintained by the council and residents are expected to take care of these things themselves.
    Your LPT doesn't specifically go towards maintaining your area, it goes into the general funding pot for the local authority.

If your area is not part of a management company, then the estate committee are just a voluntary group trying to keep the place tidy. You have no obligation to pay them anything, though that doesn't mean you shouldn't. If you're not happy about handing over cash, then perhaps offer services in lieu - such as grass cutting or hedge trimming.

The council does not look after any green areas in private housing estates, that's more than likely what the €80 per year pays for.

Housing estates can apply for the local amenity grant, it used to be from Drogheda Borough Council (for Drogheda) but now it is to Louth County Council. The last two years our estate of just under 70 houses got €200 per year. To qualify you have to register for a tax number, fill in a 23 question document including how many older people live in your estate and how many working smoke alarms are in the estate! You also have to agree to hold spring clean up days and help with tidy towns.

In our estate no one but the few houses on the committee go the the agm and less than half the houses pay for the upkeep of the estate, but many residents like to complain to the residents committee about dog poop, car parking, speed of drivers and lots of other stuff that the committee cannot control (and is none of our business), it can be a thankless job being on the committee (no wonder we can't get anyone else to join!) though some people are very grateful for the work that is done, the estate always looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Property Tax has nothing to do with services to your property.
    It is just another tax.

Advertisement