Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling Vintage road bicycle

• 07-05-2015 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi where is the best place to buy sell vintage road bicycle's in Ireland besides Done deal, Adverts or gumtree? And if you come across one that needs a bit of work where is the best site to buy parts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

ive sold a good few vintage frames and bikes over the years and ive found adverts the better route in Ieland..

that said...unless its a mainstream brand youll find it hard and be prepared to get knocked down price wise...

parts is another story altogether...
    e bay - is the most direct and easier route to finding that exact part for a build..
    pieces do pop up on adverts but its both seldom & sporadic...
    also..
    ive recently "liked" quiet a few vintage dealers on face book mostly based in holland, belgium and france... they have lots of parts and shipping aside the prices are fair..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Our own adverts forum here is also an option. The rules are more restrictive than most sure, but you get a lot less crazy offers and time wasters I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 frusiante30

Thank you friend
    Do you think its worth sourcing old bikes and frames to do up and sell on?

Is there MONEY to be made in it, in your opinion?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Given a lot of people take pride in doing up bikes themselves I suspect there is not too much money to be made, particularly given the effort and dedication needed to do the job properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

Thank you friend
    Do you think its worth sourcing old bikes and frames to do up and sell on?

Is there MONEY to be made in it, in your opinion?

not a penny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

not a penny

it's a slightly different to what you are talking about, but i'm doing up a high nelly at the moment which has been in the family for over 70 years, it's a (at the youngest) 1940's elswick.

figuring out what it's costing me to do it, versus what they seem to sell for, i'd estimate roughly 2x the cost. worth it to me as i'll be the third generation of my family to ride this bike. but if it didn't have that value to me there is no way i could do it.

so agree completely with this statement. unless you have a source of dirt cheap parts that no-one else has access to, there isn't a penny to be made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

mossym wrote: »
    unless you have a source of dirt cheap parts that no-one else has access to, there isn't a penny to be made

That is the truth. Forget about restoration (frame painting etc) to make money.

I've been following the vintage scene for about 7 or 8 years now. I think sellers make money in a couple of ways

- Find good quality bikes at low prices and sell them on doing little if nothing to them (not even a wash)
    - Find good quality bikes at reasonable prices and strip them to sell as parts (this happens a lot).

Sources for these tend to be Holland, Germany, and also France, Spain to a lesser degree. I doubt there is anyone in this country doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryan0380

ive recently "liked" quiet a few vintage dealers on face book mostly based in holland, belgium and france... they have lots of parts and shipping aside the prices are fair..

Hi there,
    I'm off to France soon and I was wondering if you could give me a few links to any vintage dealers in France? I might try and bring back parts, a frame or maybe even a bike.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Me thinks OP was only looking at a 'business venture' rather than having a love of, or interest in fixing up old bikes, or cycling for that matter.

bikeman is already at this and the prices he charges for very old, but standard (not lightweight) bikes are quite high.

• Advertisement
Advertisement