Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Drawings Software

Options
  • 07-05-2015 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

Just wondering can anyone recommend a software for doing electrical drawings? Preferable a free software as it's just my own use and won't be doing much with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

6781 wrote: »
    Just wondering can anyone recommend a software for doing electrical drawings? Preferable a free software as it's just my own use and won't be doing much with it.

Eplan is the dominant software in industry, but a package can cost up to 10k a licence. Which is not at all what your looking for.

Before EPlan I just used standard AutoCAD for schematic design. Which was excruciatingly painful for the final detailing such as terminal numbers, page referencing, device referencing, cable schedules etc.

Seen Eplan on download sites but would be difficult to use without any training.

Know microstation has a electrical package too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The project that I am working on primarily uses SolidWorks and AutoCAD.

If you want something free try DraftSight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Draftsite is very good for a free service. I've used it many times.

What type of electrical plans are you talking about?

I tried Draftsight and Solidworks this weekend and threw the baby out with the bathwater. Using Smartdraw now and it's very accessible with an excellent library, took me about 5 hours to get the hang of making neat diagrams.

It doesn't offer a way to compile/test the circuits which would be a nice feature, that'd make it a lot more complex though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement