Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Client wants refund

• 07-05-2015 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14

Hi All

I have a client who is looking for a refund for a website I designed for them. No there is no contract involved which was a mistake on my part. They are saying the website does not represent their business well. The site is perfect being built on WordPress no problems and does exactly what they wanted. Now after they have paid me they want a refund? Am I legally bound to give a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

niall19922 wrote: »
    Hi All

I have a client who is looking for a refund for a website I designed for them. No there is no contract involved which was a mistake on my part. They are saying the website does not represent their business well. The site is perfect being built on WordPress no problems and does exactly what they wanted. Now after they have paid me they want a refund? Am I legally bound to give a refund?

Grey area since no contract. Do you have an email (or similar) where the client says "I am paying you X to make me a website?" - Not that officious obviously, but something along those lines that you could show proof that you've delivered what was required.

If the fee involved is substantial enough that you don't wish to return it, then I'd advise you seek professional legal advice.

If money does cross back to the client, remember to retain copyright of your work (just in case it's a scam and they go ahead and use it anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 niall19922

KonFusion wrote: »
    Grey area since no contract. Do you have an email (or similar) where the client says "I am paying you X to make me a website?" - Not that officious obviously, but something along those lines that you could show proof that you've delivered what was required.

If the fee involved is substantial enough that you don't wish to return it, then I'd advise you seek professional legal advice.

If money does cross back to the client, remember to retain copyright of your work (just in case it's a scam and they go ahead and use it anyway).

He paid me for the website with a cheque for the amount agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Do you have anything in writing at all?

If you have something showing you quoted him a price for the service (an offer) and he paid you (consideration), then you have a basic contract.
    Obviously the more documentation the better.
    If he paid you without there being a clear agreement of what was being done then it's potentially as much a problem for him as it is for you.

You haven't said how much money was involved though - and there's a big difference between €100 and €10000

Hi

it was between 500-1000 euros. I don't have anything written down but I have invoice for site and proof of cheque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If you did to work and he paid you, he was obviously happy with the work. I wouldn't refund it, as he was happy with it.

• Advertisement

Thats what legal advice told me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

you to need to sort it out one way or the other though :

get it in writing ( & witnessed or whatever it takes - ask your solicitor ) that he wants you to take down/delete the website you built

otherwise if you take it down, it is way too easy to claim he has lost business

because of :
    .... No there is no contract involved which was a mistake on my part. ........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Ask the client specifically what elements of the website they are unhappy with and then consider offering to make changes as a goodwill gesture.

Did the client view the work in progress as you were doing it?

Graham wrote: »
    Ask the client specifically what elements of the website they are unhappy with and then consider offering to make changes as a goodwill gesture.

Did the client view the work in progress as you were doing it?

Yes client saw website and was happy to pay for it, then turns around and changes their mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The site is perfect being built on WordPress no problems

Ahh, this line makes me think that the customer might have a point or two that you're not recognizing.

No website is ever "perfect" especially not one that cost less than 1k to build.

Did you have a warranty period after it went live, when you agreed to fix any problems?

Have you handed over the password and domain registration account details to the client, so they can get someone else to fix the problems?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yes client saw website and was happy to pay for it, then turns around and changes their mind

In that case I'm not sure he has much of a leg to stand on requesting a refund unless he's found errors/bugs. You have to decide what it's worth to your reputation/future business as to what you do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Hi All

Very much doubt legally bound. You did the work, they paid you and their claim is that it 'does not represent their business well'.

I know you don't have any contract but do you have emails as to pages they wanted on the site? In relation to the site do the links work? Does it have their address/contact details. Do the pages load in a timely manner. If it does then it works, the rest is a question of aesthetics.

I would offer, as a sign of good faith, to make some changes but stand firm on the refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

gargargar wrote: »
    If it does then it works, the rest is a question of aesthetics.
    This could be it. Maybe they just don't like the design.

As others have said. Ask them to put down in a letter to you what they are unhappy with, and that you will see what you can do to address the issue.

Advertisement