Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

d p c under cast chimney cap

• 07-05-2015 6:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭

What are the specs re : dpc under a cast chimney cap , is it required or not ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

whupdedo wrote: »
    What are the specs re : dpc under a cast chimney cap , is it required or not ?
    no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

It is advised though. Without it if the cap ever cracks water will leak in and stain your walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

cork2 wrote: »
    It is advised though. Without it if the cap ever cracks water will leak in and stain your walls
    If wall got stained, that means the chimney liners are cracked and has to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

I've seen the caps crack and water soak down through the block. Infact the most recent one had cap on the pot. Whether you agree with me or not when you're up there dpc isn't exactly a big job for the problem it may prevent in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Would your lead chimney tray not catch any water ingress should the cap crack. I would be concerned that if you put a damp proof membrane beneath the capping you are relying on the gravity and the bond of the mortar to the DPC/DPM to keep the capping in place on the chimney stack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭mail

I have repaired numerous chimneys that had cracked at the capping and water entered the filling. In my opinion it is essential to place dpc under the capping to prevent water entering the chimney. The chimney capping should also be precast not cast in place. This may be a bit of a problem getting it up there but worth it.

Advertisement