Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Captain America : Civil War *spoilers from post 480*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

Does anyone have any idea why there are no late showings (after 9pm) for this movie, bar the midnight release? I've checked Vue, the Odeon and so on. it's very weird. Cineworld have a late 3d show but feck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Does anyone have any idea why there are no late showings (after 9pm) for this movie, bar the midnight release? I've checked Vue, the Odeon and so on. it's very weird. Cineworld have a late 3d show but feck that.

The listings for it haven't gone up properly yet I imagine, since its still more than a week from release. Probably next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Is anyone going to Cineworld's Cap triple bill? I was tempted but I don't think I could take that much 3D.

I'd really like to go, but getting back from town at 3am is way too much for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Is anyone going to Cineworld's Cap triple bill? I was tempted but I don't think I could take that much 3D.

Odeon Coolock are showing the triple bill in 2D thank feck. Any more than 2 hours watching 3D and I get awful headaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is this not out this week? Disappointed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is this not out this week? Disappointed now.

Next Friday the 28th

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Next Friday's the 29th, but I digress..

I was gonna say what time do we count midnight as but its still friday as well :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yeah I'm going to the midnight showing and that's what caught me out.

What has you disappointed OTT?

• Advertisement

That it's out next week and not this week :P

So, who's Team Cap and who's Team Iron Man??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

theres a 9.15 show in the IMC in tallaght but that seems to be as late as it gets.

its 2d and in a smaller theatre (screen 4) .

its a bit mad alright as it looks to be only 2 hrs long whichs means your out by 11pm or so. theyve had no prob in the past putting films on at 10 that ya wouldnt get out of near 1am !

theres a 9.15 show in the IMC in tallaght but that seems to be as late as it gets.

its a bit mad alright as it looks to be only 2 hrs long whichs means your out by 11pm or so. theyve had no prob in the past putting films on at 10 that ya wouldnt get out of near 1am !

150 minutes isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

My sense of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Tough call. Team Cap is the obvious choice as it's his movie, but Team Iron Man has Vision, Black Panther and Spider-Man.

Screw it, I'll go Team Iron Man (TIM!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Team Cap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, it has to be said, Captain America could have been a bit of a disaster in the films, full of tone-deaf jingoism & the like, but he turned out pretty well, being the obvious conscience of the Avengers while playing up his presence as a man out of time. Conversely, Stark's been directly responsible for a series of disasters, most recently the destruction of an entire European city-state. His (presumably) belated guilt and siding with the registration act seems a bit too late in the day. He's pretty much an anti-hero at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I hadn't actually thought about which "team" I'm on... so used to just going in to these movies where it's a clear cut hero vs villain setup. I'm probably on Team IM... he's right, with all the destruction they cause, some sort of registration act is probably necessary... though it'll be clearer in the movie what the implications of that are so I might switch over to Team Cap.

Politics aside... Team Cap all the way. They're a bit of an underdog side but they also seem more balanced than IM's team which relies heavily on two heavy hitters (Vision and IM).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Hard to believe we're at Captain America 3, doesn't feel that long ago John Krasinski was oh so close to getting the role. :P

I assume Evans will be at a crossroads contractually now once phase 3 is done. I don't think they'll go down the death route with the character so will it will be interesting to see how he'll be used.

Won't have the leverage of RDJ in renegotiating but hopefully he pulls a bigger wedge out of a notoriously tight studio.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Hard to believe we're at Captain America 3, doesn't feel that long ago John Krasinski was oh so close to getting the role. :P

I assume Evans will be at a crossroads contractually now once phase 3 is done. I don't think they'll go down the death route with the character so will it will be interesting to see how he'll be used.

Won't have the leverage of RDJ in renegotiating but hopefully he pulls a bigger wedge out of a notoriously tight studio.

I hope they do. I love these movies but think it's time we got a death that stuck and actually meant something. Evans has said before he wants to give up acting, I can't see him signing on for more films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The concept of death in comics, or rather the lack thereof, is a well-worn discussion point and I'd like the MCU to at least attempt to address this & ignore one of the worse habits of the comicbook form: that they make death stick & it not be some temporary cheat for the sake of promotion and narrative laziness. At the very least it would introduce some more danger and threat within the universe, and that's sorely needed as the MCU has grown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixelburp wrote: »
    The concept of death in comics, or rather the lack thereof, is a well-worn discussion point and I'd like the MCU to at least attempt to address this & ignore one of the worse habits of the comicbook form: that they make death stick & it not be some temporary cheat for the sake of promotion and narrative laziness. At the very least it would introduce some more danger and threat within the universe, and that's sorely needed as the MCU has grown.

In theory I agree, it'd add some weight to the proceedings if a major character was killed off. However, it'd be far too easy to simply look at which actors are running down their contract and infer from that who is next to die.

It makes sense anyway to kill off or retire characters as the universe progresses as actors only have a certain shelf live for these roles and recasting them would be jarring (e.g. the Incredible Hulk doesn't feel like part of the same universe to me, even though it is). The Howard/Cheadle switch wasn't too bad as Rhodes was a backseat character in IM1.

Swords cinema has put the listings up! Including some late night (well evening) ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Reviews all over the place today.. generally being referred to as the best Marvel movie yet!

The Mirror: 5/5
    Entertainment.ie: 4.5/5
    Den Of Geek: 4/5
    The Guardian: 4/5
    DigitalSpy: 5/5
    The Telegraph: 5/5
    Radio Times: 4/5

And so on..

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Reviews all over the place today.. generally being referred to as the best Marvel movie yet!

The Mirror: 5/5
    Entertainment.ie: 4.5/5
    Den Of Geek: 4/5
    The Guardian: 4/5
    DigitalSpy: 5/5
    The Telegraph: 5/5
    Radio Times: 4/5

And so on..

Last night one rather badly constructed negative review appeared on rotten tomatoes. Allowing for taste and all it smacked of a clickbait attempt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Basq wrote: »

As Little White Lies so acutely put it in their mostly positive review...
    Calling this “the best Marvel movie” is equivalent to proclaiming “this is the best Dorito I’ve ever tasted.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

As Little White Lies so acutely put it...

As long as it says "Doritos" on the bag, I don't think anyone can complain.

If it said "Caviar on a cracker" you could complain if you wanted, but I don't like caviar anyhow, and would be pleased to get a Dorito instead.

Less than a week now! Things move a lot faster when your not pining for them
    I am pining for it

Interesting that Downey Jr will be in the Spidey solo, as I felt the relationship would probably be strained by the end of CW.

Has me even more curious about Rodgers' fate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

I cant see them killing off Steve Rodgers or Tony Stark..it just wouldn't make sense imo.

I think the more likely thing will be Rodgers being imprisoned for Infinity War Part 1...then returning in Infinity War Part 2

I could be totally off there, but I just get the feeling they wouldn't kill Off Cap or Iron man

COULD see Cap being killed, Bucky taking up the mantle (Sebastian Stan had signed on for 9 films, can't see him being The Winter Soldier for the duration of his deal)

Or the other scenario mentioned above, he's imprisoned for IW Part 1, and coming back for Part 2.

It could go either way really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Any chance that Daredevil or Punisher will be even namechecked in this? I assume Civil War occurs after S2 of DD finished?

Any chance that Daredevil or Punisher will be even namechecked in this? I assume Civil War occurs after S2 of DD finished?

Apparently not. There's some feud between people at Marvel's tv and film departments that prevents crossovers so the internet buzz says.

I like how both entities are separated. There's a chip on the shoulder type mentality interwined into the netflix shows towards the MCU but that's how it should be.

These guys are fighting gritty wars on a street level with real human stakes and costs while the Avengers are having their ocean's 11 type parties in Tony Stark's New York skyline penthouse.

The disconnect works well, whether it's intentional or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"Let go Jessic......Tony!"

:p

It does work, I seen people saying they'd like to see Daredevil in avengers 3 or whatever, but I'm not sure what he's supposed to contribute to it? Same with the punisher. If they were gonna cross over with anything, spiderman would be a good idea.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It does work, I seen people saying they'd like to see Daredevil in avengers 3 or whatever, but I'm not sure what he's supposed to contribute to it? Same with the punisher. If they were gonna cross over with anything, spiderman would be a good idea.

I dunno, a Punisher cameo in CW along the lines of the one in the comic would be hilarious though it would require him to be fairly well known in the universe when this film takes place.

Again, other than geeky enthusiasm for the mythologies being carefully adapted for screen, I can't see any of the Netflix marvel characters being suitable or appropriate for the MCU, or any good reason for them to show up. Sure, they're part of the same universe and that's great, but they're so tonally dissonant it'd be more than a bit dodgy and jarring. Could you imagine the kiddies tuning into Jessica Jones to find out more after her cameo? Yikes, scarred for life there haha. "Mom, what's rape?"

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I probably should have qualified my post with a :pac:

• Advertisement

They could fit daredevil into spiderman! Somehow. Probably have to tone the violence down a tad considering spiderman will be a 12 at most.

I don't really mind about the Defenders but I'd love to see Fisk in the movies. He doesn't have any powers but he's the best Marvel villain we've had and I'd love to see him even have a conversation with someone like Iron Man or Cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Just for fun.

giphy.gif

Fisk has no powers but he's freakishly strong.

Unfortunately however I don't think Marvel Studios would ok a hiding from Fisk to the likes of Peter Parker like we've seen with Matt and Frank.

That's a key part of the Fisk they've created, his viciousness. That would be inevitably neutered on the big screen and thus reduce the effect of the character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

The listings for it haven't gone up properly yet I imagine, since its still more than a week from release. Probably next week.

A bit closer to release and still looks like the showings in most cinemas are 9pm at the latest, bar the odd very very late show (23.00, 23.20 and 23.40! in cineworld.

This is a bit bizarre. I get the feeling there may be some sort of dispute with the distributor going on. Hope it gets sorted soon, or else i might not get to see this film anytime soon!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A bit closer to release and still looks like the showings in most cinemas are 9pm at the latest, bar the odd very very late show (23.00, 23.20 and 23.40! in cineworld.

This is a bit bizarre. I get the feeling there may be some sort of dispute with the distributor going on. Hope it gets sorted soon, or else i might not get to see this film anytime soon!

Movie times for Friday on wont be available until this Wednesday.

Depends on the cinema though. I mean 9pm is quite a late showing anyway.

I usually go the movies in the morning or early afternoon at latest mind.

edit - swords has it listings for friday up, not just including civil war, cineworld should go by the end of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

got my tickets today for myself and the bro for sunday (stuck working late the whole weekend so its the only day i can catch a showing)

bar the midnight show on thurs it looks like were not going to get a show past 9pm and bizarrely VUE have it down to only TWO shows on tues the 3rd of may and ONE showing from then on (wed and thurs) at 20.15 !

there's deffo something dodge going on there. best i can think of is theyre hedging their bets to see the response of the public before deciding on how many shows to put on as IMO theres no bleeding way it'd merit that

• Advertisement

There's something not right about that. Maybe they're releasing the movie times later in the week?

My local odeon is showing it these times;

sl7azm.jpg

Advertisement