Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Captain America : Civil War *spoilers from post 480*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

its definetly off.

IMC in tallaght have 9 to 10 shows all week to the 8th of may.

on the defenders thing.

i though the WHOLE point of the netflix shows was to bypass the need for origin movies for their characters and allow em to go straight to movies.

i was always under the impression they'd all turn up in infinity war to bulk up the cast. that doesnt mean they fight thanos by the way, there was alot of fallout on earth during the infinity gauntlet story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

wgpx0n.png

Cineworld have gotten their times together at last. Hopefully the rest follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

More spider-man! (kinda spoilers kinda not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Was at the preview showing in the Savoy tonight, won't mentioned anything about what happens obviously just to say I thought it was brilliant anyway. Really enjoyable and up there with the best Marvel movie so far.

tvnutz wrote: »
    Was at the preview showing in the Savoy tonight, won't mentioned anything about what happens obviously just to say I thought it was brilliant anyway. Really enjoyable and up there with the best Marvel movie so far.

That sounds awesome, I can't wait :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jays lads avoid the tv spot trailers as there dozens of em and its starting to reveal alot.

couldnt help it myself with some of them and i do like what i saw of spiderman in em , but seeing as im going to the film on sunday im gonna avoid em from now on.

:D

Less than 24 hours to go.... I'll be sitting in a cinema watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

jays lads avoid the tv spot trailers as there dozens of em and its starting to reveal alot.

couldnt help it myself with some of them and i do like what i saw of spiderman in em , but seeing as im going to the film on sunday im gonna avoid em from now on.

Ye, saw 2 of them and they showed the scene right after he grabs caps shield in the last trailer and a bit into the fight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I haven't even seen the last trailer and I've managed to avoid all tv spots. Movies give away far too much these days in trailers and tv spots.

Jurassic World, Star Wars, Batman Vs. Superman and X-Men are recent examples of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Loughc wrote: »
    I haven't even seen the last trailer and I've managed to avoid all tv spots. Movies give away far too much these days in trailers and tv spots.

Jurassic World, Star Wars, Batman Vs. Superman and X-Men are recent examples of that.

I thought the Star Wars trailers were brilliant and gave nothing away.

• Advertisement

I've seen all the tv spots, and I don't mind. Its just hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

2 post credit scenes,don't leave early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Catcher7791

zerks wrote: »
    2 post credit scenes,don't leave early.

There was just one, mid-credits, at the screening in the Savoy on Tuesday night. Where did you see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sorted with a ticket for midnight screening now to stay sober during the Liverpool game so I don't fall asleep during the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There was just one, mid-credits, at the screening in the Savoy on Tuesday night. Where did you see it?

It's on Digital Spy.

Its possible there was only one scene for the premiere, the early screenings in the US only had one scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sorted with a ticket for midnight screening now to stay sober during the Liverpool game so I don't fall asleep during the film.

I reckon you'll be an emotional wreck afterwards and won't be able to cope with Civil War.
    I was going to go see all 3 today but forgot about the Liverpool game, so I'm holding off now.

That was fcuking awesome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Best Marvel Movie Yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Rather infuriatingly, the screening at the Cork omniplex cut off just at the "directed by" title card. Which meant no credits rolled and we didn't get to see the post credits stings. So annoying.

Other than that, I loved it. It rocks along at a breakneck pace and doesn't let up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I can see this being the unpopular view, but I thought the film was good. Not great, but good. The parts of the film that worked were really enjoyable, but there were too many flaws and lazy plot points to try ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The best thing about these movies is the relationships between the characters. I genuinely care about these characters and what they go through and I just love watching them interact because Marvel have nailed it, be it two characters' reaction to a certain kiss, be it a conversation between two characters at odds with a mutual friend, or be it the new kid in the gang trying to adjust, I love these moments and I'm so entertained by these interactions which don't let up during the action beats or moments of exposition that I don't notice the plot holes which I'm sure are there.

I know that all sounds a bit mushy but I genuinely can't express how much admiration I have for what Marvel have done in bringing these characters to life so that they work on their own and all together. I want to say that the best bits of the Marvel movies are when the characters are talking but I can't stress enough how much of a compliment that is.

Anyway I'll be back when I don't have to bother with spoiler tags but sufficed to say, I loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Got to say the Russo's have done it again, didn't think they could top Winter Solider and I think might have just done it with Civil War. It never dragged during it's long running time, it was suspenseful and exciting something that Batman Vs Superman wasn't imo.

The action scenes were plenty
    the opening attack in Nigeria to probably Marvel's greatest fight scene at the Airport between the Avengers and also the scene when Bucky and Captain America are trying to escape from Swat Team in Romania
    the Russo's didn't overload the film with them but when the action came it didn't disappoint.

Casting wise, I think this is Robert Downey Jr probably best performance as Tony Stark since the first Iron Man film. You see that whole treaty is weighing him down and he's trying to do the best he can do. But when it got to
    Tony finding out Bucky killed his parents
    woah that scene was intense. Chris Evans is great as usual as Cap (did a triple bill last night of the Cap films, Does anyone think that First Avenger gets better with every viewing). Anthony Mackie gets his best moments so far in this as he and Sebastian Stan have a good chemistry together. Paul Rudd steals most scenes he's in and is charming as ever. Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spiderman was fantastic, he's the way Spiderman should be played. He brings a fun side to Civil War along with Ant man. His chemistry with Downey Jr is fantastic. Chadwick Boseman brings a heroic feel to Black Panther that he did a good job to get me excited for his stand alone film.

Not everyone fairs to well, poor Martin Freeman deserves better then the role he's giving, i'm sure he got a great payday but damn that's a waste of a talented actor. Poor William Hurt as well was misused I felt. Poor Elizabeth Olsen Russian accent wavers so much by the end she's just given up lol. Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow is fine but isn't used as much as she should have been imo. Don Cheadle and Paul Bettany do their best with whatever screen time they are given.

The Villain as always is a sore point with the Marvel films, aside from Loki and their Netflix TV shows. They just can't make a memorable villain and once again it's sadly the film's biggest fault. That said
    Daniel Bruhl
    does a fine job and isn't the worse villain they had. But I suppose it was nice to see someone who wasn't a alien or a robot.

I definitely put this in A list Marvel along with the Winter solider, First Avengers film, Iron Man, GOTG. It definitely lived up to the hype and it will be getting a second viewing, now X Men bring it on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Disappointing to hear the villain is another flop, you would wonder how Marvel keep swinging and missing in that department, but I guess if one film didn't really need a strong villainous presence, it'd be one whose ostensible premise is our heroes fragmenting and warring with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

So for those that have seen it. Which format is better, 2D or 3D ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

So for those that have seen it. Which format is better, 2D or 3D ?

Given it's been out since midnight, not sure who would have seen it twice by now in the different formats to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Having seen neither version, I'm going to say the 2D version is best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Given it's been out since midnight, not sure who would have seen it twice by now in the different formats to judge.
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Having seen neither version, I'm going to say the 2D version is best.

Yeah my local omniplex is showing it in 2D on their MAXX screen so would probably see it there but not sure if the 3D version adds more to the film as it was filmed in 2D and 3D effects added in post production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There's people out there who have probably seen it 3 times by now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Bacchus wrote: »
    There's people out there who have probably seen it 3 times by now :pac:

:eek: I don't think I've watched any Marvel movie twice bar the first Avengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I absolutely loved it. Really nailed Spiderman and Black Panther and the action scenes are awesome, especially the airport scene.

I have to ask though, what the hell is going on with Martin Freemans accent?! Is it supposed to be South African or am I hearing it wrong?! :P

They really did nail Spiderman and Black Panther.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jason Mahon

The franchise has been around for several years now with the characters clearly ageing. I think they either have to end the franchise and go in another direction or one or two must pass on. Don't get me wrong i love the franchise but everything must come to an end and i just hope they do it justice and end it in the right way. Rumours are that Ironman may perish in this film, I hope those rumours are false.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I saw it, enjoyed it but don't feel it ranked close to Winter Soldier.
    This felt like another Avengers movie, albeit a really good one.
    I felt the idea of Tony's trauma was much better realised, in terms of RDJ's acting and the acting of those around him, in this movie rather than the half assed effort in IM3, where Tony was all cut up about the events of AA and got over it all with the help of a kid, emotional devastation tied off way too quickly, whereas this time, with the weight of his own actions being responsible for the events and deaths of AoU, his reactionary responses in this film and the consequences of those, followed by the reveals about his parents death and the guilt he feels for that, it was impressive and the directors resisted the idea of sorting it all out in the end, instead leaving a lot of damaged heroes behind, and an uncertain future for the Avengers initiative.

I'll also be fascinated to see if the next couple of episodes of Agents of Shield tie into the big screen storyline at all, seeing as the TV and movie MCU's are growing ever more distant and uninterested in each other.

• Advertisement

The franchise has been around for several years now with the characters clearly ageing. I think they either have to end the franchise and go in another direction or one or two must pass on. Don't get me wrong i love the franchise but everything must come to an end and i just hope they do it justice and end it in the right way. Rumours are that Ironman may perish in this film, I hope those rumours are false.

I expect either Iron Man Captain America Vision or all to be killed by Thanus in one of the Infinity wars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I was skeptical of the film for the first 30 or so minutes but it picked up after that and really picked up post Spider-Man reveal.

The scene with Spider-Man
    swinging around Ant-Man talking about Empire was so good.

Tony knowing
    Parker was Spider-man bothered me. How did that even come about?

Also, i have to mention it because it was so glaringly bad. Scarlett Witche's accent is all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

Not long out after seeing it, I thought it was great and they really nailed Spider-Man in it!

So, I've now seen Civil War twice. Non spoilery impressions.
    It's not perfect (no such thing as a perfect anything) just to start off with. There is at least one kinda big flaw with the film off the top of my head. I say big, but then the rest of the film is so great, so more than the sum of its parts, that I'm happy to say its the best of the MCU films, and in my mind, up there with the best of the genre, that is to say, Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2.

Its remarkable that while Batman V Superman struggled to make 3 superheroes coherent on screen, Civil War does what, 12? And it does so without becoming Avengers 2.5, and makes it look easy. Granted, the stage has been set by all the other movies, tv shows, etc, but it really is magnificent, them Russo's are magicians.

And its sold so well by the cast. Evans is by far the best casting choice Marvel's made, I've seen those comparisons where people say he's a better superman than Henry Cavill, but now I've seen the film, I don't agree, nor do I think thats the intention, since he's far more interesting. The whole cast bring their A game, Paul Rudd in particular from the returning cast, Olsen brings Scarlet Witch to life brilliantly, Downey Jr is still fab, just... ugh, so good. As for the newcomers, we all knew Black Panther was gonna be great right. Serious, without being dark and broody. Effortlessly a great action star and addition to the MCU line up.

But as for the other new guy, the Spider guy. He's great. The actor is superb, his action is superb, his quips are superb, the whole character is just bang on. Better than Maguire, better than Garfield. He's so great to be honest, the movie misses him when he goes. Movie needs more spiderman. Just cos he electrifies the scene frankly and the entire movie when he's on screen, and he's so good, that I really think it needed him more. I know this is a set up for his solo film next year, but still, the scenes he's in are amazing, and the new Aunt May is.... well I wouldn't say she's better than Rosemary Harris, since we don't see her all that much, but I love the way she played the character.

The tone of the film gets so much right, its better than Winter Soldier for my money, and it links back to my comment about Black Panther. Serious and focused, without being dour and grey and mopey. It's just. Damn. Just what you needed after being reminded how bad Superhero movies can be. I'd like to be more specific on the flaw(s) but I think that'd be crossing into spoiler territory, so I won't. Absolutely magnificent film, I'm really confident for infinity wars now.

edit - there was absolutely 2 scenes. One in the middle of the credits, one at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

So, I've now seen Civil War twice. Non spoilery impressions.
    It's not perfect (no such thing as a perfect anything) just to start off with. There is at least one kinda big flaw with the film off the top of my head. I say big, but then the rest of the film is so great, so more than the sum of its parts, that I'm happy to say its the best of the MCU films, and in my mind, up there with the best of the genre, that is to say, Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2.

Its remarkable that while Batman V Superman struggled to make 3 superheroes coherent on screen, Civil War does what, 12? And it does so without becoming Avengers 2.5, and makes it look easy. Granted, the stage has been set by all the other movies, tv shows, etc, but it really is magnificent, them Russo's are magicians.

And its sold so well by the cast. Evans is by far the best casting choice Marvel's made, I've seen those comparisons where people say he's a better superman than Henry Cavill, but now I've seen the film, I don't agree, nor do I think thats the intention, since he's far more interesting. The whole cast bring their A game, Paul Rudd in particular from the returning cast, Olsen brings Scarlet Witch to life brilliantly, Downey Jr is still fab, just... ugh, so good. As for the newcomers, we all knew Black Panther was gonna be great right. Serious, without being dark and broody. Effortlessly a great action star and addition to the MCU line up.

But as for the other new guy, the Spider guy. He's great. The actor is superb, his action is superb, his quips are superb, the whole character is just bang on. Better than Maguire, better than Garfield. He's so great to be honest, the movie misses him when he goes. Movie needs more spiderman. Just cos he electrifies the scene frankly and the entire movie when he's on screen, and he's so good, that I really think it needed him more. I know this is a set up for his solo film next year, but still, the scenes he's in are amazing, and the new Aunt May is.... well I wouldn't say she's better than Rosemary Harris, since we don't see her all that much, but I love the way she played the character.

The tone of the film gets so much right, its better than Winter Soldier for my money, and it links back to my comment about Black Panther. Serious and focused, without being dour and grey and mopey. It's just. Damn. Just what you needed after being reminded how bad Superhero movies can be. I'd like to be more specific on the flaw(s) but I think that'd be crossing into spoiler territory, so I won't. Absolutely magnificent film, I'm really confident for infinity wars now.

edit - there was absolutely 2 scenes. One in the middle of the credits, one at the end.

I saw the movie too. I'm curious what you think the big flaw is. Can you put it in spoiler tags?

• Advertisement

Well its not that a big flaw, if it was that big it would have lowered my opinion of the film I guess but
    the villain, bleh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

For those of you who've seen this in IMAX, is it worth the premium?

Shiminay wrote: »
    For those of you who've seen this in IMAX, is it worth the premium?

Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It was good enough, as close (but not quite there) to great as we've seen a Marvel Universe movie come. I loved the ironic gag about
    spider-man crawling on ant-man's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

That was just great. Great mix of story, action and comic relief.

Ant Man, Spider-Man and Black Panther were all great in it. Looking forward to Spider-Man and BP stand alone films. Boseman is a tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Not long out of it. It's very good if not a little slow at the start. Once spiderman is introduced though things really get going. Very very good film and such a massive improvement over age of ultron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Loved the film, up with Winter Soldier and GOTG as the best of the Marvel films imo. Despite being 2 and a half hours, it never felt like it dragged. Really enjoyed Black Panther and Spiderman in their roles. Not sure what a Black Panther solo film will be like, or even Spiderman, as I really don't want to see an origin story again.
    Wakanda
    looked cool as hell at the end too, so hopefully that'll be explored more.

Also, probably said it after every film with Captain America, but Chris Evans is a tank. The scene where
    he's trying to stop Bucky leaving in the helicoper
    , and you just see the muscles straining, I was like fcuk me.

Don't seem to be getting one sadly but I'd love a standalone film around Scarlet Witch. Elizabeth Olsen is a great actress and I think she'd carry a film quite well tbh.

Standalone Winter Soldier film would be good too. Have it set in the 90s and him working for Hydra. Could work quite differently than the other Marvel films, as he'd pretty much be a bad guy.

Elizabeth Olson and Willa Holland are the spit of each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Good.

Some of the action was just a bit repetetive.
    Plenty of it wasn't as well, but maybe I'm just starting to get a bit fatigued from seeing strong lads smash each other in the face with virtually no consequences to them.

A few bits looked a little hokey. Some of the CGI didn't blend that well - Iron Man in the airport stood out.
    Them running faster than cars looked a bit daft as well.

I thought it was at it's best in the quieter moments.
    Of course, when you get casts this good for these kinds of films, those scenes can take care of themselves, even if some of the writing is a bit emetic.

Not sure it was as good as Winter Soldier. Felt like it had a weaker delievery of the storyline -
    they delved too shallowly into Baron Zemo's story so it had no weight until the very end, when it was almost too late.

The irrelevance of the villain wouldn't have been a problem in itself if there had been some sort of immediate consequences to what he did to everyone. The emotional climax was the revelation about Tony's parents, and that was great, but things were rushed afterwards and I felt a lack of closure at the closing credits.

Obviously well put together and a good idea at it's root, but probably because it's just another link in the chain of the MCU, it failed to tell all the story it could have.
    At the same time, the strength of the MCU lies in it's interconnectedness and not only did it add weight to things like
    Peggy's death... gee that makes me sad..
    and, allow them to draft in the likes of Ant Man but this film will probably age well as later installments come out as well.

Also, if the premise of Ant Man is that
    his atoms are closer together giving him the same momentum in a tiny package, then giant-man would get knocked down by a stiff breeze. He might be 50 feet tall but he's still supposed to weigh 70kg. That truck he threw should've still weighed 10 tonnes as well.
    UNREALISTIC BULL****!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Well its not that a big flaw, if it was that big it would have lowered my opinion of the film I guess but
    the villain, bleh.

Completely disagree there.
    I was being cautious in my optimism for the movie because I was worried it would take the route of, the Avengers battle it out, discover there's a new big bad, work out their differences and rally together to defeat this enemy. Zemo was an absolute masterstroke, because he wasn't a Loki or Ultron with a huge plan to conquer/destroy the world, his role was de-emphasized and didn't take away from the conflict between the heroes. Even his interest in the other supersoldiers was a bit of a red herring. He was one of the most low-key villains by far, and the movie was all the stronger for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement