Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Captain America : Civil War *spoilers from post 480*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I'm firmly in the pro Marisa Tomei camp. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

So is it confirmed we're getting at least one Spider-Man and one Black Panther film?

Huge potential for both. Particularly Black Panther, huge success, anyone I've talked to loved him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

So is it confirmed we're getting at least one Spider-Man and one Black Panther film?

Huge potential for both. Particularly Black Panther, huge success, anyone I've talked to loved him.

Spiderman July 2017 and Black Panther February 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    I'm firmly in the pro Marissa Tomei camp. :pac:

I have 2 OT words for you. . . The Wrestler :D

theteal wrote: »
    I have 2 OT words for you. . . The Wrestler :D

In all seriousness though....Tomei is 51. There's no reason why she can't be Aunt May other than having an issue with her being glamourous for her age.

If people accepted Sally Field (69 yes but still glamourous and certainly not a conventional May) then there shouldn't be an issue with Tomei.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Does feel awkward fancieing the hole off Aunt May , She was an old lady in the mid 90's cartoon i grew up on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Sally Fields was a terrible Aunt May, she said so herself in fact.

The more I think about Civil War the more I like it and the happier it makes me.
    Like Spider-Man is so goddamn perfect. Whereas Tobey Maguire always looked a bit weird and old for the role, and Andrew Garfield was basically playing a hipster teenage who happened to be named Peter Parker, Tom Holland is just perfect. Perfectly cast, plays the role so well, both as Parker and Spider-Man, he's funny, modest, likeable, great in the action scenes, just perfection. As perfect as Chris Evans casting as Captain America.

And then the casting of Marrisa Tomei as a younger hot Aunt May serves perfectly to distinguish her Aunt May from Rosemary Harris's old and wise take on the character, and whatever that aunt may thing Sally Fields was trying to do, and it goes perfectly with new spiderman. Awesome.

Did she? Send me a link to where Field literally says she gave a sh1t performance and by that, I don't mean an apologetic article to fanboys over not being Rosemary Harris.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Sally-Field-Hated-Her-Part-Amazing-Spider-Man-Movies-118517.html

It's really hard to find a three dimensional character in it, and you work it as much as you can, but you can't put ten pounds of **** in a five pound bag."

She admitted to Howard Stern that she didn’t put "a great deal" of thought or preparation into the role, and agreed with Stern that the character basically existed to prop up Spider-Man, from time to time.

That just tells me how much of a disaster the production was. The fact that she's telling all this to Howard Stern is telling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Does feel awkward fancieing the hole off Aunt May , She was an old lady in the mid 90's cartoon i grew up on

That's why I loved the (practically meta) quips from Stark about Parker's "impossibly hot aunt". :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭DublinBust

Very average film. Felt Winter Soldier probably outdid it.
    For one we have an extremely convoluted plot from our baddie who somehow blames the Avengers instead of Ultron for his town getting dropped from low orbit; a plot I should say should've begun and ended with showing Stark the video (like, at the end of act 1). This secondary plot majorly distracts from the conflict between the Avengers, which is supposed to be what the movie is about.
    As someone who's never read a Captain America comic in his life, I just don't get the whole deal with Bucky. Didn't particularly care for it in Winter Soldier and sad to see it leaking into this film. And now it'll likely leak into Black Panther.
    The Captain America films have always been 'B films' in terms of production values, budget, story etc. but was really excited when they attached Civil War to this one. It could've been as grandiose as a mainline Avengers film. People like to crap on the Civil War storyline but I enjoyed the book and it felt more epic than this film; not to mention the characters motivations were more believable. They should've stuck much closer to the book.
    Spidey was too young IMO and it was an injustice to the character that of all the pretty funny quips in this movie, none of them were his, with Paul Rudd eating his lunch in particular. Rudd was the best part of the movie. As was Downey Jr.; his internal struggle was obvious on screen.

Also Elizabeth Olsen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Olsen twins I said got dam

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dulachodladh

Just back from seeing it, I thoroughly enjoyed it though I feel I need to give it a rewatch (I didn't have the same satisfaction as I did watching the Winter Soldier for the first time).
    People complain that the others are strangely absent in the singular movies and then we have this....:rolleyes:;):p

I get what you are saying,it very much does feel like an Avengers movie, and a better Avengers movie than Age of Ultron, imo.

But I still feel that Captain America was the driving force behind the movie and the direction it took, with the use of the other characters making sense - i didn't feel anyone was shoe-horned in.

If it had been called Avengers: Civil War i wouldn't have thought it odd though. However, I'm just delighted we get an excellent (imo) movie, whatever the title was.

My thoughts exactly. It did feel very Avengers with the amount of characters and particularly the amount of screen time Tony Stark received though I felt everyone got a good showing and contributed with their characters. Well apart from Sharon Carter, I felt the end of her story was not needed
    leaving it at that kiss but I feel that's a shoehorned unnecessary romance forced by Disney/Marvel

Though one negative I have is that
    it feels strange that Bucky would be that alright and sound of mind especially since he remembers everything he did as the Winter Soldier. I thought he'd be a bit more either off the rails or very reclusive. He just seemed too ok

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭halloweenboy

I'm going to see the movie tomorrow, and for the first time, I'm not really hyped. After the mediocre Age of Ultron and Ant Man movies (that conformed to the merry marvel formula), a bad taste has been left in my mouth.

Hopefully the formula won't feature in phase three. I think creativity and variation in the franchise would be a wise move on Disney's part; Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool as proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

I seen this yesterday and some of the cgi was terrible..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

This was actually pretty decent. Not as good as the winter soldier but still a cracking film all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Saw last night - very average film and way too long. Nothing original felt I'd already seen this movie a few times over and cgi was dodgy and overused.

Very much meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

saw it last night with the bro and i loved it.

what gets me now the next day though is just how much of a gamechanger this film is. im still trying to wrap my head around the full implications of it.

after winter soldier shield was basically gone and pretty much the same thing has happened to the avengers here.

seriously with the way this film went is there even a captain america left after this one ?

i love the fact the sochovia accords still stand as law. theres no "Reset" button pushed. so the next avengers film is gonna be some feat to pull off. hell i cant see how half the membership arent fugitives.

so the future films are gonna be some fun to see how they pull it off.

on this film i echo alot of whats already said. its ALOT of fun. i just loved paul rudd in this. but theres alot of subtle stuff done that i reckon only comics fans will get.

wanda for instance. looking at what happens to her (and the others TBH) ALL I could think of was "this is all magentos nightmares come true" . its not trumpted with fanfare or anything, i just got it all from the look in her eyes (when ya see the scene youll know what i mean)

black panthers story arc too. i just loved that ending. i know some have a prob with the villain but TBH it felt more "real" to me than most of the other marvel films over the years and how his story resolves with tchallas works really well for me. i also really liked how they all got his plan wrong. i was seriously expecting that "smackdown" at the end and to have it skew off was a pleasent surprise.

the emotional weight of this film is probably its best element though. seriously everything thats wrong with bats vs supes is what so right in this one. the conflict between the characters is more organic and more beliveable and everyone in the cast gives it their all on the acting front. indeed when ya look at all 3 Cap films back to back there is a lovely arc going on with a surprising commentary on modern politics that i didnt see coming from these at all when they were first mooted.

in fact right now i reckon the trilogy of cap films is prob one of the strongest in the whole genre. who'da thought that !

ill be off to see it again during the week.

solid 9/10 from me. :D

P.S as an aside , how LOW was that crack from clint to tony ? ooooh that musta stung.

:D:D:D

Well they've got 5 films is it? From now to infinity wars. So presumably we'll get at least a cursory mention of it in spiderman or thor or black panther Specially since
    Hulk is in Thor, and it shows presumably the captain america led faction of the avengers is hiding in Wakkanda.
    . I also heard
    possible spoiler, might mean nothing, but Captain America's shield was seen on the set of Doctor Strange

• Advertisement

im really looking fowarad to black panther now

another thing i thought id never say as im not all that au fait with the character. but they set him up well here and its looking like wakanda will be portrayed liked it has been in some of the comics .IIRC its Waaaaay far ahead tech wise- which they guard jealously- and that ship tchalla was using deffo didnt come from some third world country :D

and cap and co hiding out there would make sense ! its a sovereign country so tchalla can give sanctuary/refugee status to whomever he wants.

im dying to see where thor and hulk go when they come back. i dont see em on team tony but man this could go in so many directions now.

fun times ahead.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Is it recommended to see Captain america 1 and 2 and ant man before seeing this? Or is the story independant of them, and not sequels?

Tinie wrote: »
    Is it recommended to see Captain america 1 and 2 and ant man before seeing this? Or is the story independant of them, and not sequels?

No it's a sequel to all those movies. You'd also wanna see Avengers assemble and Age Of Ultron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'd say watch Age of Ultron and Winter Soldier at a minimum, that'd probably get you by.

i dont think you need to see the others . they do a good job catching you up to speed. but i agree theres no harm seeing winter soldier and age of ultron for more context.

its only worth seeing cap 1 to see what pre winter soldier bucky was like and his relation to cap. i.e best mates and him not fupped up in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

i dont think you need to see the others . they do a good job catching you up to speed. but i agree theres no harm seeing winter soldier and age of ultron for more context.

I think you probably could catch up on the go but if you want the full emotional impact of what civil war is doing with the characters I would definitely recommend watching the first caps at the very least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

Does anyone have any orange slices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Also Winter Soldier is an excellent film worth seeing regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Am I one of the only ones who preferred civil war to winter soldier?

its only worth seeing cap 1 to see what pre winter soldier bucky was like and his relation to cap. i.e best mates and him not fupped up in the head.

There is literally nothing catching you up on the whole Winter soldier thing, nor will he understand that eastern european word people keep repeating.

Nope, I saw this again today and I definitely prefer it to WS, which is great but is let down by the third act. I felt the final act here carries much more emotional weight and it was purely about the three characters involved, there were no greater stakes to contend with.

In regard to
    Cap's letter at the end, I don't think everything is all good between him and Stark, I think Cap is pointing out that although the disagree on their methods, he and Stark are still fighting for good in their own way and Stark can still count on him, but there's definitely still unresolved tension that carry over into Infinity War

• Advertisement

I mean Stark is definitely in spiderman, might be brought up there.

I mean Stark is definitely in spiderman, might be brought up there.

One thing that's fairly ambiguous in the film is how much Spidey actually knows about why Iron Man is asking him to fight Captain America, I hope this is addressed is future films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Must say I really enjoyed this film it was much better than BvS which was terrible really. I had not intended to go see this film and had very low aspirations of it being any good so when I seen it it was way better than I thought it would be and deserves at least 3.5 or maybe 4 out of 5 stars. It is funny in parts and has a lot going on in it the only bit that really annoyed me do was them trying to do a James Bond and go to loads of different city,s and when they then do the way they are. Did they really need such a big heading for each city on the screen do they think people going to see this are half blind or something?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Must say I really enjoyed this film it was much better than BvS which was terrible really.

Nah; only dodgy moment in BvS was 'Our momma's got the same name???' apart from that it was the better film IMO. Better looking overall and more cohesive storyline (especially considering the extremely convoluted plot of the baddie in Civil War). BvS has its weaknesses and is by no means perfect but the fact that its trendy to hate it on the internet needs to stop now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DublinBust wrote: »
    Nah; only dodgy moment in BvS was 'Our momma's got the same name???' apart from that it was the better film IMO. Better looking overall and more cohesive storyline (especially considering the extremely convoluted plot of the baddie in Civil War). BvS has its weaknesses and is by no means perfect but the fact that its trendy to hate it on the internet needs to stop now...
    Or people, like myself, disliked BvsS because it was (in their opinion) a bad movie.

I'm a relatively big Batman fan and I was more hyped for that than Civil War, but BvsS was a terrible disappointment and no where close to Civil War in quality. I personally find it amazing it could be argued otherwise.

But I suppose being contrary and defending BvsS is trendy on the internet, that needs to stop.

The motivations of the people in Civil War are far more understandable and I found it generally an easier movie to follow - far less of a need to fill in the blanks that BvsS had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Or people, like myself, disliked BvsS because it was (in their opinion) a bad movie.

I'm a relatively big Batman fan and I was more hyped for that than Civil War, but BvsS was a terrible disappointment and no where close to Civil War in quality. I personally find it amazing it could be argued otherwise.

But I suppose being contrary and defending BvsS is trendy on the internet, that needs to stop.

The motivations of the people in Civil War are far more understandable and I found it generally an easier movie to follow - far less of a need to fill in the blanks that BvsS had.

Completely agree. Whatever about opinion, but saying BvS had a more cohesive storyline and complaining about CW's baddie having a convoluted plot considering the sh*tshow that was Lex Luthor's plot is just crazytalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I just so happened to watch civil war then batman vs superman back to back yesterday.

The difference between them was night and day. Civil war had so many moments were i smiled and just plain enjoyed myself. Batman vs Superman had no moments like this for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Nope, but what they nailed so well in my opinion, is how brilliantly consistent the tone of ws and cw are. I watched winter soldier the night before civil war, and it almost makes the two films a double bill. I loved cw, so many standout moments, and again everyone on the roster gets their moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Nope, but what they nailed so well in my opinion, is how brilliantly consistent the tone of ws and cw are. I watched winter soldier the night before civil war, and it almost makes the two films a double bill. I loved cw, so many standout moments, and again everyone on the roster gets their moment.

I prefer Civil War because of the last act - the last act annoyed me in Winter Soldier - this epic City destroying fight in what had been a fairly tight and isolated movie up to then - would have prefered them fighting up through Shield HQ to stop the take off, rather than this grand scale battle.

I liked then in CW the final fight is between 3 people, in the middle of nowhere - it rounded the movie better than the Helicarrier apocalypse did in WS, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Where i think BvS shines at its most is the action and visually it is stunning where as some of the fight scenes in CW are up close shacky cam (I found this especially annoying in earlier scenes, lots of fast cuts as well, seems like this happens a lot with black widow in particular) and there was no fight for me personally anyway, that was as pleasing as the Batman and Superman fight was as a spectacle. I love that fight.

The airport scene is extremely well put together though and has so much going on you can't help but be impressed. I did also really enjoy the Cap vs Iron man fight near the end. Very emotionally driven.

The story is better in civil war although I felt there was a lot near the front end of the movie that could have been tighter. I didn't hate zemo it's just he's only there to move the plot from point to point but so is lex in BvS.

Overall civil war just a bit above BvS but like I've said before on here I don't think the gap is as big as has been made out. After deadpool as well I've really enjoyed my time in the cinema with comic book movies this year and it's been a big step up from last year. Hopefully xmen continue the run.

For what it's worth, I would put it, Deadpool 7.5/10, BvS 7/10 and civil war 8/10.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »

Completely agree. Whatever about opinion, but saying BvS had a more cohesive storyline and complaining about CW's baddie having a convoluted plot considering the sh*tshow that was Lex Luthor's plot is just crazytalk.

Luthor's part was incredibly straightforward, it develops, he couldn't have just jumped right to the end of it; CW's baddie (can't even remember his name) not only blamed the Avengers for the actions of Ultron, but could've sent Tony the vid at the start of the movie, or at least the end of the first act. His 'plot' was incredibly convoluted.

As people have already mentioned in this thread, a lot of Civil War's already generic CGI is pretty bad. Whereas say what you want about Snyder, but he shoots really nice footage.

I would say Deadpool was easily a better film than both. The only thing I didn't particularly care for was they went back for more backstory halfway through instead of doing it all early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Luthor's part was incredibly straightforward, it develops, he couldn't have just jumped right to the end of it; CW's baddie (can't even remember his name) not only blamed the Avengers for the actions of Ultron, but could've sent Tony the vid at the start of the movie, or at least the end of the first act. His 'plot' was incredibly convoluted.

The Avengers built Ultron, so yes, ultimately to blame for what Ultron did. Plus Zemo didn't have the video to send to Tony. We saw him spend half the film looking for where to find the video. He also had to get Bucky back into the mix in order to split Tony and Steve.

Luthor's plot (spoilered as this isn't the BvS thread)
    He blows up the courthouse with the Senator in it (even though no one would actually blame Superman for it). He tricks the Wayne employee into carrying the bomb into the courthouse yet he's able to sneak a jar of his p*ss onto the Senator's desk. He creates Doomsday to kill Superman because Superman is too dangerous (and somehow Doomsday isn't? First thing Doomsday does is try to punch Lex only for Superman saves him!) He sends his private team to Africa to act as muscle and kill some guys to get Superman to save Lois yet gives his team bullets that can easily be traced back to him, even though he clearly already knows Superman and Lois are together. He kidnaps Martha and leaves his guys watching over her with no safeguards to protect them against Superman (Hell, he didn't even offer Superman proof she was still alive. He could have already killed her after taking those photos of her). Even when kidnapping her it isn't explained why Clark couldn't have flown in to save her like he did when Lois was thrown off the building. And he decides to give the rest of the future Justice League their superhero names and logos.

And the reason he does all of that is... why? To prove Superman isn't a god (even though he's the one who spends most of the film calling him such)? He's going to create a monster to kill Superman, have no way of stopping said monster, and the only real explanation for why he does all of this is actually in a deleted scene and therefore isn't in the actual film. I didn't hate Eisenberg's acting as much as some people and there were moments of greatness in his performance, but overall, his plot was nonsense of the highest order. If he knew Clark's identity, he could have skipped straight through to kidnapping his mother.

The more I sleep on it the more I enjoyed Zemo is this film. I walked out of the cinema not caring as much about him but on reflection the subtle Zemo plot in the background was fantastic, I know people say that he could have been scrubbed out of the script and the story would have ended the way it did eventually but Zemo was the character to bring the sequel stories of WS and AOU together in this film.
    And it really did feel rather bleak at the end seeing as the bad guy "won". And the fact that he isn't dead (though in the Marvel Universe no one seems to end up dead) I hope he makes an appearance in future films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

(though in the Marvel Universe no one seems to end up dead)

In fairness (spoilers for the whole MCU):
    Quicksilver
    Triplett
    Ben Urich
    Elektra
    Bunch of Nova Corps dudes
    Peggy Carter
    and a bunch of villains

Not all major characters, sure, but there does occur death in the MCU, and I was actually really saddened by a bunch of those ones! As well as that, I was genuinely convinced that
    Cap and Tony were in danger of killing each other in that final fight

I thought Civil War did more than practically any other Marvel movie to push things forward and mix up the status quo. I mean Civil War was a good (for my money, a great movie) while Batman v Superman makes me sad with its awfulness.

I think I was spoiled by WS and the lack of genuine death in its story And the characters I don't give a toss about are the ones who "died" and have come back to annoy the hell out of me. :D
    As well as that, I was genuinely convinced that

Oh believe me I was convinced too. It was brutal to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Totally agree...Genuinley thought it was
    Game over for Tony, I expected Cap To whip his ass anyway, but when he bashed his face with the shield then ripped off the mask, Stark genuinely looked like he was staring death in the face, and his expression made it so believable. I genuinley think this is my favourite scene from any one of the MCU movies to date. The emotional level is unparalleled by anything ive seen to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I guess we're all just ignoring FRIDAY then?

No she's knackered :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

She pulled back the accent a little this time around, so I thought she was grand. She was barely in it though, to be fair.

Advertisement