Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Garden help!

Options
  • 07-05-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm spending a lot of time Gardening lately as I have moved to a bigger more mature garden and I'm loving it so far. I am new to this forum too and I'm enjoying reading everyones threads and it's great to see how knowledgable and helpful people are, so I was hoping someone could help me out with some questions I have!

This first picture is of two bay(?) trees I bought a few years back to take the bare look from my front door and I've only just realised that they now look very different! The one on the left has a weird bud/flower on it and the other tree doesn't, but it's leaves are serrated at the edges! What would cause this differentiation?

7rz4HF.jpg

There was also a big horse chestnut tree at the front of the house which was unfortunately cut down, but it was for safety reasons. But after it was cut down I noticed all these little things sprouting from the ground! A couple are even sprouting from a strawberry basket I have! They seem to have grown from the 'helicopters' that come from horse chestnuts! What will these grow into?

IMG_5565.jpg

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

The are both bay trees and one has decided to flower while the other hasn't. Their leaves are often wavy but sometimes smoother. There does seem to be some damage to the leaves from a pest last year but give them both a bit of fertiliser and the new foliage should look ok.

The other pic is of baby sycamores. They have the spinning seeds. Was it one of those and not a chestnut that was cut down? Mind you the seeds could have blew in from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

You should pull up the sycamore seedlings as they are very vigorous and you will end up with lots of little trees that will become lots of huge trees!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

lk67 wrote: »
    The are both bay trees and one has decided to flower while the other hasn't. Their leaves are often wavy but sometimes smoother. There does seem to be some damage to the leaves from a pest last year but give them both a bit of fertiliser and the new foliage should look ok.

The other pic is of baby sycamores. They have the spinning seeds. Was it one of those and not a chestnut that was cut down? Mind you the seeds could have blew in from elsewhere.

Thanks for the tip! They have been fairly neglected so I'll give them a bit of tlc! An you are right, it was a horse chestnut that was cut down but I checked withmy gf, there is a sycamore tree to the rear of the house, so they must have come from that!
    Roselm wrote: »
    You should pull up the sycamore seedlings as they are very vigorous and you will end up with lots of little trees that will become lots of huge trees!!!

Thanks! Is it possible to keep a couple in individual pots and maybe try and cultivate them a bit and decide in a year if I want to replant them?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Brendão wrote: »

Thanks! Is it possible to keep a couple in individual pots and maybe try and cultivate them a bit and decide in a year if I want to replant them?

Yes, that would work. Literally just pull one up without damaging the root and put it in a pot with soil/compost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll need a big garden if you want to grow sycamore, unless you're happy with the idea of chopping it down in ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

lk67 wrote: »

is one of them not a portugeuse laurel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Those sycamores will grow quickly. Get rid of them now while you have a chance. Either pull them or spray with Roundup.
    They will destroy Walls, Driveways etc in a few years. I once removed one from my Grandparents garden. I couldn't believe how far the Routes travelled. They were even gone under the house. They'll even rob your Garden of Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

peadar76 wrote: »
    is one of them not a portugeuse laurel?

No. Both Bay Laurel but the wavyness can vary from plant to plant.

Advertisement