Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Ops 3

Options
  • 07-05-2015 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

What does everyone think? Is COD a dead franchise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Still selling copies and very popular but dead to me. The last good Call of Duty game was Black Ops 1 and if they pull back on bullet damage to the way it was in BO1 then i could indeed be picking up BO3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭HonestCry

I always followed the franchise but i was mainly always playing Socom but since the servers for that game are shut down iv'e been playing Black Ops 2 which is good, but has its problems!

I was thinking about pre-ordering Black Ops 3 and taking a good crack at it but i am very hesitant.

Words can't describe how much Advanced Warfare was a total piece of Cr£p!! I heard they even gave a free gun in a DLC recently, what a joke.

I think the future of gaming isn't looking too good in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Well_H0ly_God

HonestCry wrote: »
    I always followed the franchise but i was mainly always playing Socom but since the servers for that game are shut down iv'e been playing Black Ops 2 which is good, but has its problems!

I was thinking about pre-ordering Black Ops 3 and taking a good crack at it but i am very hesitant.

Words can't describe how much Advanced Warfare was a total piece of Cr£p!! I heard they even gave a free gun in a DLC recently, what a joke.

I think the future of gaming isn't looking too good in my opinion.

You say the future of gaming isn't looking too good and then say you're wondering if you should pre-order and pay now for a product you know nothing about.....

Well i should have mentioned that if Black Ops 3 is a disappointment then i can't see any games for me to be playing in the future.

Either i play BO3 from day one, like it or hate it. But either way i want to have it from day one as i only had BO2 from day one but didn't play it very often until recently where i started gaming regularly again.

So yeah.... this is, i guess my last hope for a FPS in my opinion anyways.

I come from a 3rd person shooter background.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

HonestCry wrote: »
    So yeah.... this is, i guess my last hope for a FPS in my opinion anyways.

Last hope? The genre is doing quite well lately with Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior and the Metro games.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Well_H0ly_God

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Last hope? The genre is doing quite well lately with Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior and the Metro games.

Not to mention Titanfall 2 is on it's way, the Far Cry games sell very well, Destiny sold over a million, Doom is going to knock the socks off us, Fallout 4 inbound, Halo 5 will be huge, Killing Floor 2 is brilliant fun, and Battlefield 5 incoming....

FPS isn't going anywhere soon.

OP, Call of Duty is not the only FPS in the world. There are others - better ones. It's the reason PC has turned up it's nose at COD for so many years. They've always had better alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Advanced Warfare is the best CoD game in years, but it's also enough for me. I have that and Titanfall with Halo 5 on the way and just don't think I want another quasi-future shooter. Think they missed a step by taking so much from Titanfall and would have done better to differentiate it with another setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Titanfall 2 won't be out till 2017. The devs have said a 2016 release is too optimistic.

The new CoD release model is not working just like Assassins Creed. They need to start taking a year off for the franchise rather than adding in another team for longer development cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Firstly I've always been a fan of the Black Op series. They have the best campaigns and I've always had more fun with the MP on them.

And this one actually sounds like a pretty big change for COD. Sounds more like a moba where each MP character has their own unique ability. Much prefer the sound of that as opposed to everyone running around with the same loadout.

On top of that - 4 player co op campaign! Yes please, that sounds brilliant. I used to love the spec ops missions.

I won't be near my PS4 when this will come out but if I was I'd be all over it I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

tok9 wrote: »
    Firstly I've always been a fan of the Black Op series. They have the best campaigns and I've always had more fun with the MP on them.

And this one actually sounds like a pretty big change for COD. Sounds more like a moba where each MP character has their own unique ability. Much prefer the sound of that as opposed to everyone running around with the same loadout.

On top of that - 4 player co op campaign! Yes please, that sounds brilliant. I used to love the spec ops missions.

I won't be near my PS4 when this will come out but if I was I'd be all over it I reckon.

You're the first person I've seen on here mention the MOBA elements to it. Its discussed a bit more here
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/04/26/black-ops-3-what-you-need-to-know-about-multiplayer-zombies-and-campaign

While I'm getting a bit jaded on the whole future warfare, i'm interested to see what Treyarch can do. I'm also a little burnt out on the whole double jumping / dashing / wallrunning fad. Its reducing the games down to who gets the first shot off. Its harder and harder to control a map because you can be attacked from almost any direction.

Nuketown, Slums, & raid from BLOPS2 are great examples of good map design. hijacked, Detour, Grind and cove are all also excellent. 3 lanes of attack, with possibility of flanking. its a great feeling when a good team controls the map, pushing the enemy back into their spawn.

when they try and limit the engagements in newer games to hinder the increased mobility, you're left with these odd spaces - long high corridors and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Call+of+duty+human+revolution+eidos+montreal+responds+to+the_b1b72c_5524894.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Without going too far off topic, there's a serious lack of WW2 or Vietnam FPSs about nowadays. I miss the distinctive clink sound of an M1 Garand running out of ammo.

The Vietnam war just hasn't been utilized at all. There is so much potential there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Without going too far off topic, there's a serious lack of WW2 or Vietnam FPSs about nowadays. I miss the distinctive clink sound of an M1 Garand running out of ammo.

The Vietnam war just hasn't been utilized at all. There is so much potential there.

Loved Battlefield: Vietnam back in the day on PC. Fortunate Son blaring as you ride shotgun in the Huey letting charlie know whos boss. Good times

Remember Battlefield 1943? What a quality game that is and still playable today!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

I love advanced warfare,i had black ops and mw2 , 3..I like the fast pace and i would say cod is doing really well..some youtubers try to ram it down peoples throat that its going backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Personally I loved ghosts and advanced warfare, cant understand the negativity for both. I definitely got my moneys worth out of both of them, putting in 100 hours plus. I'm not really sure what black ops 3 can do to change people's opinions on cod other than totally revamp the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Cod4 for me is still the holy grail, I would be delighted with a next gen re-released version. To me it was just perfectly balanced with less of the over the top kill-streaks and more of the gun v gun battles, which imho is what it should still be all about.

I haven't made my mind up to which next gen console I'm going to buy although I'm slightly leaning towards the ps4 purely because I know more people with it, despite the fact I'm a 360 man atm, but I'll be getting Black ops with whatever console I decide upon. I just hope it goes back to a bit of simplicity and basic stuff that made it so great when the franchise first began.

I enjoyed Black ops one a lot, that was the last cod I managed to get stuck into but I have to say I've fell out of love with the series myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Please don't glorify the Vietnam war.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I must be a bit different when it comes to CoD. 4 was fantastic, but was also my first foray into online FPS's, so it was a double whammy of awesome. World at War was alright, but it didn't hook me like 4. BlOps 1 i did not like. It had some good maps, but it just didn't click with me. MW2 was also amazing. MW3 was very good too, but it started to feel stale. BlOps 2 i put a lot of time into, and i liked it a lot more than the first one. Ghosts was just terrible. They fooked up on that one. And AW is, in my opinion, amazing. The verticality and exo's take a bit of getting used to, but it's refreshing take on the series, with some amazing visuals, and scorestreaks that don't break the game (especially after they fixed System Hack).

I'm talking purely about MP there. And i have never played Titanfall (and barely played Crysis), so the exo thing was fresh to me. I haven't read much on BlOps 3, and the trailer initially made me think it was Treyarch copying AW. However, i didn't know about this MOBA elements, so i'll need to look into that a bit more before i make up my mind. Still, i will be buying it Day 1, with my annual 3 weeks off work to play it. I just won't be ever buying the season pass Day 1 again. Ghosts burned me there. AW is making up for it in a massive way, but i've lost the trust to make that purchase Day 1.

And i still don't get the hate for AW. I fear people don't give it time enough to get all the nuances of it, learn how to play it (as it plays very different to all the previous CoD's). I also don't like the comparison between CoD and BF. They are two completely different games. Why can't someone like both!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jackdalad23

Hi all. Have been a CoD fan for years but after MW3 , Ghost and AW its looking pretty bad. Anyway I watched the BO3 trailers and all looks pretty good ( although I would really prefer WaW 2). On Sunday I actually pre ordered the game in Xtra Vision. Anyone know how I get the beta access ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

How do I get a beta code for Wednesday lads? I know you get access by preodering on PS4 but I don't want to commit to a buy until I play it.

Anywhere to buy online then cancel after I get the code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

The series is declining every year but with nobody to seriously compete it will continue to stay on top. Their MLG scene is popular but nowhere near the level of popularity of Counter Strike and League of Legends as well as the fact that it's not nearly as skillful.
    I stopped playing the series after Black Ops 2 which frustrated me at times but upon going back and playing it outside of it's lifespan was a great game. Ghosts was a massive flop (number 1 contender for worst of the series) and Advanced Warfare from what I've heard wasn't much better. I see Black Ops 3 going the exact same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The series is declining every year...

I wouldn't quite agree with you there. Yes, Ghosts was terrible, but every franchise of this size is going to have a flop or two.
    and Advanced Warfare from what I've heard wasn't much better. I see Black Ops 3 going the exact same way.

You need to play AW to make up your own mind. I used to play a good bit online with 2 others on BlOps 2, then Ghosts ruined everything and we more or less stopped playing. We picked up AW, and i'm loving it while they hated it. It's a love/hate game.

Thing is, they had done, and overdone, the WW2 era. Any more games like that and people would have complained that it was more of the same. They changed it up slightly with CoD: MW, and it was amazing. Queue a few more games along the same vein, and people were saying it was starting to get stale. AW changed things radically, but people were too hung up on how it was a Crysis/Halo/Titanfall rip-off, but i thought it was a fresh injection that was needed, and also the obvious follow up (WW2<MW<AW). It's where it's going to go after this is the question.

I'm looking forward to BlOps 3, see how it compares to AW and if it adds anything new (feel-wise) or if it's a clone of AW. Actually, i'm interested to see what the next IW CoD will be. Hopefully not Ghosts 2, and the lead designer of MW2 is back with them, so we might get something completely different.

Honestly, the only 3 routes i can see for a new "version" of the game would be either back to WW2 era, a completely futuristic era, or vehicular combat (which would drive Battlefield fans crazy!).

Advertisement