Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat pack homes

Options
  • 08-05-2015 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance as I'm not sure if I'm even using the correct terminology.
    I'm trying to see if anyone has any experience on flat packed homes, I believe they are made in Germany and shipped over to Ireland? I have looked online and can't seem to get much information on them. I'm just interested in finding out are they a cheaper way of building a house if you've bought land etc. Again I apologise if I've used the incorrect terminology,I'm a newbie in regards to houses etc!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Huff or hufh house.

As seen on grand designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

They look great and are well built but you'd need PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

A Huf haus will cost a hell of a lot more than a normal Irish build! Don't think that's quite what the OP is looking for.

We're building a prefabricated timber frame house this year but I can't help the OP as we are in Germany. It's quite typical here though with dozens of companies in the marketplace.

I just don't believe that with shipping costs and so on that a house made in a factory here could possibly be cheaper than building "the normal way" in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

The are local companies that would do something similar here in Ireland. It's called SIPs (structural insulated panels) build or a lot of timber frame companies build panels in their factory before transport to site. So google "ireland timber frame" or "Ireland SIP build" and you'll get a rake of companies in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I looked into these (briefly) a few years ago - the issue with the imports from Sweden/Germany/Poland etc seems to be that local banks have reservations about giving mortgages on the properties because they are not assured that the constructions will stand up the Irish weather, they most likely do, but as they don't have any significant experience of the buildings, getting a mortgage will be difficult.
    If you're paying cash and have PP, then there are some excellent looking options out there.
    I would also look at Polish options which are considerably cheaper than the Huf Haus options (I was directed to them by a polish colleague who informed me that they are very popular and of excellent quality, but I didn't investigate that much further).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Did the room to improve program this week have one of these supplied from Kingspan ? Seemed to be a good job, went together very quickly.

My only reserve is generally i would prefer a house with greater thermal mass, but if you could design it so most of the interior walls were concrete along with a heavyweight concrete floor it might sway me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Thanks all so far for the advice/information given. I'll definitely look the Irish companies up. I want to just see if it would be financially viable to buy a small bit if land and get one if these as opposed to buying a small house in an estate. We have been looking and looking and just can't seem to find what we are looking for. There are small plots for sale where we live for around €30k-€50k, and they are advertised that they have pp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Sites advertised with PP mean that it has been granted somebody in the past.

PP is not transferable in most (if not all) regions. You will have to reapply for it yourself. Check the local area plan to see what the conditions are. For example in my area you have to be born in the area and have a housing need before you get past the first post on planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Friends got one of these done a few years ago. Prefabricated timber frame and build crew from Germany. I think it was completed minus external groundworks in 5 weeks. It wasn't cheap though but heating was all underfloor and via pellet burner and solar. Amazing house though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

One Irish company in the market is Irish Joinery Monaghan (IJM). I have no idea how good they are, but they have been in the business a long time - I think more than 20 years. Do your own investigation: http://www.ijm.ie/

scanhome.ie/ have been building houses in Ireland for 20+ years.

Advertisement