Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a negative equity house

Options
  • 08-05-2015 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi. We have had our offer accepted on a house that's in negative equity. We are awaiting to hear whether the bank accept our offer. Estate agent rang yesterday to say it will take a week to get an answer from the bank....thought this was strange, and started to google and check through past posts here and am shocked at the length of time it could take! Wondering if this is still the case or had it improved in the last year.

Really finding this house hunting so hard. We were supposed to buy the house we have been renting, but our landlords increased the price, so can't afford it, and so far we have been out bid on 4 other houses!! So stressful.

Is it worth it to hang on in there with a negative equity house? Anybody had an experience where it happened in the usual 6 to 8 weeks that it takes to close?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

In my experience, vendors in negative equity are rarely on the ball and many haven't even contacted their bank about the sale. It would be useful if EAs made enquiries about the vendors state of affairs as regards the sale in that the sale had been agreed with the mortgage company and all documents were in order and the sale ready to proceed.

I was fortunate enough to buy from someone who had everything in order, per-arranged with their bank, their solicitor was up to speed with the situation and basically the purchase went through without a hitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

I sold a house in negative equity and I had this approved with my bank in days to sell but I had the ground work done with the bank over two months previous .

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Depends totally on which bank it is and how organised the vendor is.

Some banks are very quick at getting these things sorted, some are not to bad and one in particular is very slow in my experience.

If the Vendor has been liaising with the bank the sale is most likely at the banks request so they will already have agreed a figure at which they will consent to sale. If you have reached that figure there shouldn't be too much of a problem. Closing usually takes a little longer again depending on the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

Thanks for replies. Am hoping that this is going to be our situation. They have never hidden the fact that it was a negative equity sale, we just didn't realise that people seem to have drama with these sales. When I hear back from ea next week, will ask him a few questions. But don't have much faith in estate agents to be honest after our experiences so far.

Should we ask for the letter of consent from the bank to be sent to our solicitor before we proceed any further?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lucy B wrote: »
    Should we ask for the letter of consent from the bank to be sent to our solicitor before we proceed any further?

Exactly. That is the first step. In the absence of a copy of this letter- just walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Exactly. That is the first step. In the absence of a copy of this letter- just walk.

Some banks won't issue a letter until later in the process. I would say it depends on how things progress and how much you want the house. To a buyer, some properties are worth a six month slog others aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There is a massive thread on this already I think.....will post a link if I can

I personally would run a mile, unless the bank have agreed 100% to the sale, so definitely try and get that letter!

Normally if a buyer is serious- they will have done all the groundwork with their lender in advance. If they haven't- its a long and bumpy road- and there is no guarantee that the lender will accede to the sale- esp. if the seller has not come to an agreement with them as to how the deficit is to be accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We are waiting over a year now for the bank to release the consent to sale and in the meantime they have valued the house at 15k more than the sale agreed price. That was 8 months ago.

I hope you're not kept waiting as long as we are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

it depends on the income of the seller,
    is the ne 10 per cent or 30 per cent.
    Can the bank and the seller agree , will the loan be paid off, 100 per cent, 90 per cent etc or less when the house is sold ,
    will the seller still owe the bank say,50k after the house is sold.
    Does the amount you pay cover most of the mortgage.
    I know 1 case of ne, where bank wrote off 15k,house was empty. btl unit,
    client put the house up for sale, stopping paying mortgage for the last 2 years.
    The bank can stop any sale if the wish,if offer is less than the loan on the house.
    You have to find out ,are the bank and the seller in agreement in all this ,probably by talking to your lawyer.

I,M not a legal expert ,i would expect the loan amount to be paid off, to be more important than the current value of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hmm, we're sale agreed on a place that's in negative equity, but the sellers have indicated that they've lodged the shortfall between the purchase price and the outstanding mortgage with their solicitor, so when our deposit + mortgage amount is added to it, the mortgage should be ready to be discharged.

Have people been having problems in the same circumstance? All of the money is there, why would the bank delay things or not allow the mortgage to be discharged?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

We are waiting over a year now for the bank to release the consent to sale and in the meantime they have valued the house at 15k more than the sale agreed price. That was 8 months ago.

I hope you're not kept waiting as long as we are!!
    I can relate to this...was sale agreed on a house for over a year.
    Eventually it was withdrawn....back on the market a month later for 65k more than I was sale agreed at....still on the market over a year later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I can,t think of a reason why a bank would delay a sale,
    where the sale price, and the money gauranteed by the seller will pay off the mortgage completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ron_Swanson

We sold our negative equity house (Dublin) and bought our new house (Wicklow) in 10 weeks all in - so our purchasers went SA to moving in in just over 2 months. We did not put our NE house on the market until we had met with the bank and had approval on what we they would let us do in theory (they were true to their word). We took on the NE overspill rather than ask for a write down so not sure what the situation is with your vendor but just to let you know it doesn't always take an inordinate amount of time. I hope it goes well and quickly for you, best of luck

So, the plan should be, go sale agreed, if their bank accept our offer, and once we are sale agreed, our solicitor will be able to find out from their solicitor if things are going to be straight forward. And get or try and get the consent to sell letter. I could ask ea few of these questions when he rings with news next week.

Thanks for replies all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 summer21

Hi. We have had our offer accepted on a house that's in negative equity. We are awaiting to hear whether the bank accept our offer. Estate agent rang yesterday to say it will take a week to get an answer from the bank....thought this was strange, and started to google and check through past posts here and am shocked at the length of time it could take! Wondering if this is still the case or had it improved in the last year.

Really finding this house hunting so hard. We were supposed to buy the house we have been renting, but our landlords increased the price, so can't afford it, and so far we have been out bid on 4 other houses!! So stressful.

Is it worth it to hang on in there with a negative equity house? Anybody had an experience where it happened in the usual 6 to 8 weeks that it takes to close?

Sale agreed since mid October .
    Now mid May and still not complete with documents pending from bank.

My advice ...pull out now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Find the big thread on NE, will make you realize you are a pawn in peoples finance bargaining and don't believe a word an EA tells you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

OP personally if you love the house I'd plonk down the booking deposit and make progressing further conditional on the consent etc being forthcoming. Keep looking and if you find something else in the meantime just get the booking deposit back.

Vendors that hire incompetent solicitors and drag their heals deserve all they get. I'm afraid I'm rather embittered from my own experience but it seems the attitude taken is that all is fair in love and war until contracts are signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

It took me 18 months from sale agreed to close. I can't even describe the stress of it all, and the further into the process we got, the harder we found it to pull back. Ask for the consent. Keep looking elsewhere and put no money at all in to that house until you are sure it will be sold to you. I would be hesitant to even employ a solicitor until you know the consent is in place. My solicitor fees doubled. Nightmare from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Its bin 11 months and cost us €5k and it's still not ours... Might never be ours.

Walk away.

Oh my god, how is this happening to people? Im so sorry to hear that you all are going through this, as if it isn't stressful enough already trying to find houses and then this. Surely the government could do something? Or the banks?

Some people seem to have good experiences and some awful. So all down to how truthful/ organised the vendor is.

I found the thread about negative equity on here, just said I would post again as I think the last post on it was about 8 months ago or something like that, was hoping that things had changed.

So the general advice seems to be walk away. Such a shame because we love the area, it's where we are currently living and our son wouldn't have to change school. Same for daughter with playschool. But don't want to wait 18 bloody months!!! Crazy!

Oh my god, how is this happening to people? Im so sorry to hear that you all are going through this, as if it isn't stressful enough already trying to find houses and then this. Surely the government could do something? Or the banks?

Some people seem to have good experiences and some awful. So all down to how truthful/ organised the vendor is.

I found the thread about negative equity on here, just said I would post again as I think the last post on it was about 8 months ago or something like that, was hoping that things had changed.

So the general advice seems to be walk away. Such a shame because we love the area, it's where we are currently living and our son wouldn't have to change school. Same for daughter with playschool. But don't want to wait 18 bloody months!!! Crazy!

Do you know what bank the vendor is with? Some are quicker than others. Our vendors mortgage was with EBS and they were a disaster. Vendor equally to blame though.

It all depends on how well organised the vendor is- whether they have sat down with their lender and organised how the negative equity is to be dealt with etc. If they have done this- it 'may' be plain sailing (providing everything is indeed in order). Otherwise- its hell on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FR_JACK

Any updates on the house? I went sale agreed on a house in May this year. I was told by the vendor's solicitor that it usually takes 2 weeks to get consent. I am now waiting 7 weeks. I am pushing my solicitor to get answers. I read these posts and a little part of me died inside....the hope of moving into the house before Sept. How foolish was I!! I cant believe it can take 18 mths+. Ridiculous. Anyone any ideas what Ulster Bank are like for issuing consent to sell? There is nothing suitable on the market where I want to buy so I will hang in for a bit but certainly not 18 mths!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

I feel your pain mate, unfortunately we are at the bank's mercy now, and nor auctioneer neither vendor can help or speed it up in any way :((( Your only options are to wait or walk away :( Perhaps it will be all to the best if you manage to find something better coming Autumn. Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

FR_JACK wrote: »
    Any updates on the house? I went sale agreed on a house in May this year. I was told by the vendor's solicitor that it usually takes 2 weeks to get consent. I am now waiting 7 weeks. I am pushing my solicitor to get answers. I read these posts and a little part of me died inside....the hope of moving into the house before Sept. How foolish was I!! I cant believe it can take 18 mths+. Ridiculous. Anyone any ideas what Ulster Bank are like for issuing consent to sell? There is nothing suitable on the market where I want to buy so I will hang in for a bit but certainly not 18 mths!

Hi there not sure if its of any help . But I sold my house with negative equity and I'm with ulster bank . I traded up . The house I purchased was a landlord doing a voluntary sale for there bank which was BOI . There was no problem with the selling part but I found the house I was buying took 11 weeks for BOI to give consent . Did the seller do his homework before hand ? I was in discussion with ulster bank for about 8 weeks before putting on the market .

I posted about my sale taking 18 months. Just to let you all know the vendors bank was ebs (disaster of a bank) and he was also very unorganised so I think my sale was a worse case scenario. The deeper you get into one of these sales,the harder it is to pull away. I kept telling myself we were almost there, just to hang in. We wasted a lot of money by hanging around. Our solicitor fee doubled, various valuations etc . You need honesty from the vendor and his solicitor as to how far into the process they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We sold our negative equity house (Dublin) and bought our new house (Wicklow) in 10 weeks all in - so our purchasers went SA to moving in in just over 2 months. We did not put our NE house on the market until we had met with the bank and had approval on what we they would let us do in theory (they were true to their word). We took on the NE overspill rather than ask for a write down so not sure what the situation is with your vendor but just to let you know it doesn't always take an inordinate amount of time. I hope it goes well and quickly for you, best of luck

In the same situation. Our negative equity was small - moderate and the bank verbally approved the figures and once we went sale agreed, we got a written letter stating that they would not prevent the sale. I think a n.e sale depends on the amount of n.e and the bank in question. Good luck op.

• Advertisement

Many vendors don't actually want to sell. At heart they are messers and this is part of the reason why they are in difficulties with their banks. These houses are on the market as an excuse to pretend to the banks that they are doing something about their situation but, in truth, they will delay indefinitely and take any excuse to crash the sale.

Advertisement