Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living in little island?

Options
  • 08-05-2015 9:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭

Greeting all,noob here.
    Didn't know to post this in county or city but it's close to city.

Has anyone any experience or knows anyone who lives on little island?
    What is it like to live there?

It seems to have everything.train,occasional bus,sports clubs,gyms,bank,post office,crech,montesori,primary school,shops,etc...

Is it eerily quiet though?ya know when everyone is gone home from work in the evening?

I work on little island and am considering moving there.glanmire,glounthane,carrigtwohill are out of the question.just little island.must live within my means and all that jazz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Id say it isn't too bad.. My uncle lives down there and he seems happy out...

There are a good few things down there like you say shops, church etc so it has everything you need. Not bad walking areas either... I know the beach spot is quite messy with trash and that but its a walk...

Suppose the evenings it depends what you want to do, theres no pub there is there? But sure you could go to the gym

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

thanks milly.
    We don't go out a whole lot and we got a child en route so that will sort that out!ha.

I reckon people go for pints in the hotel or over to the island gate.but that's not important.

There is a great walk for the dogs by the river.directly across from jacobs island/hartys quay.they go swimming too if the tide is in.

Thanks very much for your reply,if anyone knows anything else.it would be great to know.

Id say go for it then, ye really do have everything there. Were thinking of doing it ourselves not too long ago but we both work the other side of the tunnel as such... The prices seemed good enough for renting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

It's not like you're living in the industrial estates, there are plenty of people living in the d'island.
    It can be lively enough in the evenings, depending where you're living.

I'm loving the positive vibes here about little island.
    This is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

You already work there right? So you're familiar with the traffic. I would suggest trying out getting to work/school/shops around rush hour. That would probably be the biggest concern for me, were I considering living there.

Other than that you have a super handy location, with lots of nice supermarkets close, and a short drive/train to the city centre.

deRanged wrote: »
    You already work there right? So you're familiar with the traffic. I would suggest trying out getting to work/school/shops around rush hour. That would probably be the biggest concern for me, were I considering living there.

Other than that you have a super handy location, with lots of nice supermarkets close, and a short drive/train to the city centre.

Yes I work there already,I'm on the road some days with work too and the only traffic is really getting to little island in the morning and getting off it from 5 to 6 in the evening.

Schools and shops and everything is all walking distance,footpaths and pedestrian lights too so all good.if you do need to drive around little island during rush hours it's not too bad I reckon.

Traffic is caused by tunnel and dunkettle interchange.other than them,happy out.

Looks like you have no reason not to go there... Let me know how it is haha we might have to move soon

Milly33 wrote: »
    Looks like you have no reason not to go there... Let me know how it is haha we might have to move soon

excellent!potential neighbour friend!ha ha.

Milly33 wrote: »

excellent!potential neighbour friend!ha ha.

• Advertisement

Feel free to tell us more stuff people.
    crime?
    Strange folk?
    Break ins?

It seems almost too good to be true!
    usually I wouldn't worry too much about them kinda things but I got 'male nesting syndrome' now,I'm a different man!ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Theres very little if any regular crime in Little Island, its one of those places where the population quadruples during the day due to people in work. Its a quiet area with a few very nice estates, and few more less nicer, older estates. Good load of Polish and to a lesser extent Africans living there but they keep to themselves. For what is essentially just a grouping of housing estates, it has almost everything you need. Hotel with swimming pool/ spa, bar in the hotel with lovely food, Eastgate has all the shops/chemists/ bank/ hairdresser even bookies if you want them, and the train to town is well handy. I live in Glanmire but work in Little Island but if I had to move it would be to Little Island.

CHealy,thanks very much.
    that's super stuff altogether.

Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Traffic is caused by tunnel and dunkettle interchange.other than them,happy out.

And the bottle necks, traffic backing up from traffic lights and roundabout on the island itself when everyone tries to get out of their estates all at the same time. :( Some people are trying to get out of work 10 or 15 mins earlier to beat it, which only means that the chaos starts 10 mins earlier...
    5pm is a right pain in the hole, nearly faster to walk it sometimes.

And the bottle necks, traffic backing up from traffic lights and roundabout on the island itself when everyone tries to get out of their estates all at the same time. :( Some people are trying to get out of work 10 or 15 mins earlier to beat it, which only means that the chaos starts 10 mins earlier...
    5pm is a right pain in the hole, nearly faster to walk it sometimes.

That is a pain.but still,I'm really liking what I am hearing about little island.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Strange folk?

Just D'Islanders themselves...:pac:

Just D'Islanders themselves...:pac:

I work with a few locals alright!ha ha.

I could be one myself soon!

Seriously though,this thread has been very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My dad's from there and half his family still live in the area. I worked for several years there too and lads at work lived in the area and liked it. Apart from the industrial aesthetic and the painful traffic at rush hour, it's a great place to live right on the doorstep of the city. There used to be a reputation for stinky factories but that seems to have dwindled somewhat from what my family tell me.

If you're the sociable type, there's a great sense of community. I remember in school the lads from 'The Island' were 'D'islanders' and you could see the sense of community they all shared. I was an honorary 'd'islander' because me Da was from there :D

cantdecide wrote: »
    My dad's from there and half his family still live in the area. I worked for several years there too and lads at work lived in the area and liked it. Apart from the industrial aesthetic and the painful traffic at rush hour, it's a great place to live right on the doorstep of the city. There used to be a reputation for stinky factories but that seems to have dwindled somewhat from what my family tell me.

If you're the sociable type, there's a great sense of community. I remember in school the lads from 'The Island' were 'D'islanders' and you could see the sense of community they all shared. I was an honorary 'd'islander' because me Da was from there :D

The island mon!ha ha.that's great to hear about community spirit and all that.that's the job now.I'm sold on the place.

I used to work near pepsi in sitecast industrial estate,about 6 years ago.a couple times a week you would get a fizzy orange smell.I liked it!some people didn't,but it never spread to far.

Anyway I know a few lads down there still working and odours aren't a problem anymore.happy days!

Advertisement