Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network - Best Solution

Options
  • 08-05-2015 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Currently having a few issues with my home network - really not sure how it happened or where it started - it has always worked fine, but not perfectly (occasionally IP addresses would change, things wouldn't be able to see eachother property, wasn't able to SSH into RaspPi, etc.).

Now the whole thing is just a mess and I'm wondering if my set up is just totally wrong. My PC does all of the *stuff* automatically and saves it to the NAS.

I've attached what my current setup is and what I thought (in my networking noob opinion) might work better; I would appreciate any advice.

PS: I have an asus switch already, about a year old, so none of this costs any extra money.

PPS: All of this is wired connection CAT6.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Are both the Netgear and Horizon boxes acting as DHCP servers or only one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Only the Horizon at the moment (can you disable that on the Horizon; for some reason I thought it wasn't possible); I guess the Netgear would be preferable as the DHCP server though?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're a heavy user, deconsolidate the horizon. Its junk.

1. Call UPC and ask them to deconsolidate
    2. Bitch till they scrap the activation fee

Then you setup:

Horizon-TV Services only

Cisco/Thompson/Ubee from UPC Bridged ->Netgear->Switch-> all devices.

If wifi upstairs is a problem add an access point up there.

The whole thing takes UPCs poor kit out of your LAN and leaves you with a really stable setup. My WNDR3800 from netgear currently has as an uptime of 126 days, and it would be longer if an eejit in the house tripped the mains.

ED E wrote: »
    If you're a heavy user, deconsolidate the horizon. Its junk.

1. Call UPC and ask them to deconsolidate
    2. Bitch till they scrap the activation fee

Then you setup:

Horizon-TV Services only

Cisco/Thompson/Ubee from UPC Bridged ->Netgear->Switch-> all devices.

If wifi upstairs is a problem add an access point up there.

The whole thing takes UPCs poor kit out of your LAN and leaves you with a really stable setup. My WNDR3800 from netgear currently has as an uptime of 126 days, and it would be longer if an eejit in the house tripped the mains.
    Thanks I'll look into that. What would you recommend in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Does the horizon have a DMZ feature? You could go down that route in the interim.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Does the horizon have a DMZ feature? You could go down that route in the interim.
    I've been doing a bit of research on here and it doesn't seem to be a straightforward question (typical!) but I'll keep looking. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Hi All,

Currently having a few issues with my home network - really not sure how it happened or where it started - it has always worked fine, but not perfectly (occasionally IP addresses would change, things wouldn't be able to see eachother property, wasn't able to SSH into RaspPi, etc.).

Now the whole thing is just a mess and I'm wondering if my set up is just totally wrong. My PC does all of the *stuff* automatically and saves it to the NAS.

I've attached what my current setup is and what I thought (in my networking noob opinion) might work better; I would appreciate any advice.

PS: I have an asus switch already, about a year old, so none of this costs any extra money.

PPS: All of this is wired connection CAT6.

Swap the cables around so its like in the attached pic

Set static(fixed) IP addresses on the raspberry pi, nas, pc

Pick ip addresses outside the dhcp range for the raspberry pi etc

this should stop this heartache :
    but not perfectly (occasionally IP addresses would change, things wouldn't be able to see eachother property, wasn't able to SSH into RaspPi, etc.).

Advertisement