Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney marathon/half

Options
  • 08-05-2015 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

hi guys and girls, looking like I'm gonna enter the Killarney half, has anyone here done it before... If so is it hilly or is it a good course to attempt a pb...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Run Killarney on 18th July, didn't know there was two ��

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Why don't you check out the elevation profile on their website?

http://snippets.mapmycdn.com/routes/view/embedded/598449632?width=600&height=400&elevation=true&info=true&line_color=E60f0bdb&rgbhex=DB0B0E&distance_markers=1&unit_type=imperial&map_mode=ROADMAP&last_updated=2014-12-18T04:23:02-06:00

The half is very much downhill for the first 6 miles. There is a bit of a drag at mile 8 but no major hills. It's a potentially fast course because of the fast miles at the beginning but it will feel tough once the roads evens out because all those downhill miles will be hard on your quads.

Hahaha thanks TFB should have checked that. Friend of mine is doing it and asked me if I was interested. Haven't booked it yet but prob will do it... Looks a beautiful course with great scenery. I like the sound of no major hills too :))

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

It's a stunning race scenery wise but don't underestimate what the downhill miles can do to your legs. I didn't do nearly enough hill work before it last year and really paid the price!

• Advertisement

Thanks dintbo I know downhill runs can be as bad if not worse on your legs than uphill if your not used to them....will have to find some hills to train on...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Might see you there as this is on my radar too :D

Nice one, I'm sure there will be a thread going leading up to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

The half is very much downhill for the first 6 miles. There is a bit of a drag at mile 8 but no major hills. It's a potentially fast course because of the fast miles at the beginning but it will feel tough once the roads evens out because all those downhill miles will be hard on your quads.

I remember doing that course when they had the strangely termed Maxi Marathon (15m) event. Was laughing with all the downhill running just with the sense of speed for the first ~10m of the course, wasn't laughing afterwards of course when the slightest bit of downhill walking around hurt like hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lostintipp

I see the lakes one is on next week, has anyone done this?
    I have never heard of it but it looks fairly reasonably priced and the course does not look too difficult, is it worth going to?

• Advertisement

lostintipp wrote: »
    I see the lakes one is on next week, has anyone done this?
    I have never heard of it but it looks fairly reasonably priced and the course does not look too difficult, is it worth going to?

It's a small enough race (about 100 runners when I did it 2 years ago), doing 3 laps in the National Park. The scenery is stunning, organisation was fine and I very much enjoyed it.

It's a very reasonably priced marathon as well, which gets some bonus points.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

It's a small enough race (about 100 runners when I did it 2 years ago), doing 3 laps in the National Park. The scenery is stunning, organisation was fine and I very much enjoyed it.

It's a very reasonably priced marathon as well, which gets some bonus points.

Second the above. I did the half last year was well organised , stunning scenery and pacers were a bonus I wasn't expecting for such a small crowd.. Definitely recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lostintipp

I decided to go and do this last Saturday and its a fantastic event. The price is great value, the course is good, stewards were good and the tea and sandwiches after were fantastic, with a medal and t-shirt thrown in.

Not sure why more people are not doing this run but when i compare running Limerick the previous year to this there is no contest - Killarney national park or Raheen Industrial estate....mmmm hard choice

Is there anyone signed up for this race... booked last night after seeing a price increase from today... training has been going great for me..hoping for a sub 1:40 and broke the 45 min 10k last week on my first attempt so all looking good...

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Is there anyone signed up for this race... booked last night after seeing a price increase from today... training has been going great for me..hoping for a sub 1:40 and broke the 45 min 10k last week on my first attempt so all looking good...

I'm doing the full.

A 1:40 half is roughly equivalent to a 45 min 10k, and considering it's a downhill course you're certainly in with a chance - as long as you don't blow your quads on the downhill miles.

I'm doing the full.

A 1:40 half is roughly equivalent to a 45 min 10k, and considering it's a downhill course you're certainly in with a chance - as long as you don't blow your quads on the downhill miles.

Best of luck with the full...managed to get a B&B today close to gleneagles too so happy days... If the weather is any bit decent will do a mini tour of Kerry and head back up the coast, get the ferry across to Clare and back up to Mayo that way... Wife has the week off work and daughter off school, bring our camping gear and make a few stops all depending on weather of course....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

I'm doing the full.

Are you pacing or racing TFB? What's the target?

I'm hoping to do the 10k. Had a slight sprain of ankle at the weekend but should hopefully be back in time for a good shot at this. PB'd there last year and loved the course and the afters. Can't wait for this one.

Are you pacing or racing TFB? What's the target?

Neither. I'm doing it as a training run, somewhere between 3:15 and 3:30, depending how I feel like on the day.

I signed up for this as I'm in the area for a few days. I'm just using it as a LSR so my time won't be great, but I've heard lovely things about the course, so hopefully the weather will be there to match the scenery.

Back home after a great few days in Killarney... You guys weren't wrong about how hard the downhills affect you... Coasted the first 7 miles then hit a few easy enough hills and found my legs were zapped of energy... Found the last few miles a real struggle but managed to come in at 1:37:08 well under my goal of 1:40... Course was beautiful and weather turned out great in the end, even though it was cold and wet at Molls Gap... It's certainly a race I'd recommend just for the scenery alone... Hats off to anyone who did the full marathon, drove the course on Friday and looked very hilly up to Molls Gap...only downer was the kids run had been cancelled, nothing on the website about this and had a very disappointed 7 yr old who was so looking forward to getting her medal... Next up for me will prob be Galway Bay Half in Oct or might do a few 10ks in between now and then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

I ran the half today in Killarney...my race report is here if you would like to read it.

diego_b wrote: »
    I ran the half today in Killarney...my race report is here if you would like to read it.

Nice report Diego, well done on getting your pb... If I could rerun the race I might have actually gone a bit faster down the hills, might have made up two mins and came in under the 1:35 but that's me just nitpicking...actually tried to take it easy coming down and save something for later, I really was amazed how much all the downhill affected me legs though, very deceiving indeed..

My report is here

My son was very disappointed about the kids race too. I was told it was due to lack of interest - how did they gauge interest when it was register on the day?!?

kookiebrew wrote:
    Nice report Diego, well done on getting your pb... If I could rerun the race I might have actually gone a bit faster down the hills, might have made up two mins and came in under the 1:35 but that's me just nitpicking...actually tried to take it easy coming down and save something for later, I really was amazed how much all the downhill affected me legs though, very deceiving indeed..

Thanks, my quads fairly stiff today but got out for a short 3 miles and they'll be fine. I was expecting worse from the hills with how my legs would feel when it leveled. Very hard to call though and not overdo like!

chrislad wrote: »
    My report is here

My son was very disappointed about the kids race too. I was told it was due to lack of interest - how did they gauge interest when it was register on the day?!?

Nice report Chris, didn't find out about the kids race until they tried to enter, could have sent out something on Facebook or email if the decided to cancel it... And yea totally agree how did they know how much interest was there if it was a register on the day...

diego_b wrote: »
    Thanks, my quads fairly stiff today but got out for a short 3 miles and they'll be fine. I was expecting worse from the hills with how my legs would feel when it leveled. Very hard to call though and not overdo like!

Yea my quads felt it today too, not long back from a 6 miler and loads of stretching after it... Was real hard to gauge how fast to go down the hills, there was a hill in the park, small but kinda steep I remember letting out a few f***s going over that, thought the end would never come

Haha same here, I think I met a jaunting cart on that hill or another and I was saying f this now anyways I'm done here.

Was a jaunting cart ahead of me on the final stretch after the park had a laugh to myself thinking will I jump on the back of it lol

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Yea my quads felt it today too, not long back from a 6 miler and loads of stretching after it... Was real hard to gauge how fast to go down the hills, there was a hill in the park, small but kinda steep I remember letting out a few f***s going over that, thought the end would never come

Mine are the same. They're not painful to the point where I can't run, but they're definitely tender. I did a 3 mile today, and I was fine for it. Did a bit of foam rolling (it wasn't pleasant so it probably helped!) and icing today. Should be fine for my next run on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

Good to hear I'm not the only one with sore quads.
    I ran as a pacer for the half on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it ( even the bit waiting at Molls Gap trying to hang on to two balloons)
    I agree as well with kookiebrew about the effects of the downhill running. We set off with a group of about 20 runners but had lost most of them by mile 7 as they struggled to keep up to the pace after the downhill section.
    It was a well organised run with the added bonus of some fantastic scenery.

Advertisement