Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney marathon/half

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

I completed the full on Saturday and must say its been my favourite marathon so far. The views were out of this world (plus the bonus mini game of is it a rock/sheep on the way to Molls Gap).

Delighted I managed to scrape 2 seconds off my PB getting in at 3:47:18.

Looking forward to Dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Good to hear I'm not the only one with sore quads.
    I ran as a pacer for the half on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it ( even the bit waiting at Molls Gap trying to hang on to two balloons)
    I agree as well with kookiebrew about the effects of the downhill running. We set off with a group of about 20 runners but had lost most of them by mile 7 as they struggled to keep up to the pace after the downhill section.
    It was a well organised run with the added bonus of some fantastic scenery.

Well done on the pacing Alfie, were you the one who's balloon burst outside avoca before the race hehe... Agree about it being well organised and scenery was super, and they used a bit of common sense to start the race a few mins early with the rain just starting...

I completed the full on Saturday and must say its been my favourite marathon so far. The views were out of this world (plus the bonus mini game of is it a rock/sheep on the way to Molls Gap).

Delighted I managed to scrape 2 seconds off my PB getting in at 3:47:18.

Looking forward to Dingle.

Well done on getting a pb on the full course, drove from sneem to molls gap on Friday and those hills looked cruel... I'd say the six miles or so downhill section were a godsend to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Well done on the pacing Alfie, were you the one who's balloon burst outside avoca before the race hehe... Agree about it being well organised and scenery was super, and they used a bit of common sense to start the race a few mins early with the rain just starting...

Pity the common sense didn't extend to the use of balloons! My pacers were getting attacked with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

chrislad wrote: »
    Pity the common sense didn't extend to the use of balloons! My pacers were getting attacked with them!

in a moment of madness we decided to go with two balloons each thinking that we'd have a back up in case one burst or got lost to the wind, this led to a lot swearing in the first few miles as one or other of the balloons seemed to be constantly trying to strangle me :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Agree with all of the above re the downhill taking it's toll on the legs later in the race. I tried to be as conservative as I could on the first 6 miles, but it was nigh on impossible to hold back. Downhill section definitely worth 3 mins cushion. I was grimly hanging on for dear life in the National Park, with very little company ( in fact I was unsure of which way to go on a few occasions, and I ran into the Killarney Parkrun running against me). Got home in 1:31 plus some change. Wasn't going to count it as a PB due to the generous downhill at the start, but my legs took such a pounding and that difficult last 3 miles through the park, I 'll take it.

eliwallach wrote: »
    Agree with all of the above re the downhill taking it's toll on the legs later in the race. I tried to be as conservative as I could on the first 6 miles, but it was nigh on impossible to hold back. Downhill section definitely worth 3 mins cushion. I was grimly hanging on for dear life in the National Park, with very little company ( in fact I was unsure of which way to go on a few occasions, and I ran into the Killarney Parkrun running against me). Got home in 1:31 plus some change. Wasn't going to count it as a PB due to the generous downhill at the start, but my legs took such a pounding and that difficult last 3 miles through the park, I 'll take it.

Hahaha I felt the same about my pb, all the downhill at the start seemed like cheating but the final few miles sure made up for it. Was a real tough course overall and my quads are still not back to normal after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I gave my quads a good foam roaming on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, and they were back to normal by my run on Tuesday evening, thankfully. It hurt like hell, so I know it worked! I had awful shin problems that thankfully weren't affected by the run. It's an annoying niggle that's still there but goes as soon as I start running.

Advertisement