Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone found

Options
  • 08-05-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I found an iphone 5 last saturday night in Galway City and can't figure out how i'll find the owner (battery is dead). Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Open it. Have a look at the Sim to see what network it is with and then call into a shop of that network. They should be able to identify the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

you could also charge the battery and take a photo or two and let the person know via picture how to contact you. Some phones also have predefined numbers that you can ring while the phone is locked... don't know if its the same with iphone...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

Could you get an iphone charger and charge it up? The owner might have the find my phone app. It helped me get my iphone back after I lost it last year, showed the exact location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but, I think, a fairly regular Boardsie, can't remember their name, my memory is for the birds, :rolleyes::o posted in the last month - 6 weeks about losing their phone??? But, I've searched lost I-phone and nothing recent comes up. I seem to remember something about them giving out about the Bus-driver, they thought the Bus-driver was a piece-of-work and they kinda implied that even if the Bus-driver were to find their phone that they wouldn't give it back or something?!? Does anything along those lines ring any bells with anyone?!?

PS: there is a STAGGERING amount of pages on Boards if ya search lost Iphone!! What in the name of God do people be at that they're always losing their phones!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Charging it and waiting for a call is a good idea if you can get a charger.

Failing that, find what sim is in it. Ring that network and give them the IMEI number off the back of the phone and how to contact you. Hopefully its a contract and they will be able to contact them.

If the network can't tell it could have been bought straight from Apple. You could also ring them with IMEI and they may contact them with your number.

Only problem could be if its been bought second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Any chance it'd be this? (Couldn't find the post when I first searched and for some reason it was mixed in with posts from 3/4 years ago.)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

If you can figure out what the phone number is, pop it into the facebook search bar and see if it gives you a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Any chance it'd be this? (Couldn't find the post when I first searched and for some reason it was mixed in with posts from 3/4 years ago.)

Thanks for searching, nope it wasn't the one I posted about (that was a 4s).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Use Siri to "Call Home" or "Call Mam". Or look up the recently dialed calls and just call one and explain. It's not rocket science folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

thats paudge,s fone on Redrock tv3,he and sharon were tailing a bad copper the other night:D:D..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

FatherTed wrote: »
    Use Siri to "Call Home" or "Call Mam". Or look up the recently dialed calls and just call one and explain. It's not rocket science folks!

Could you explain how to do this when the battery is dead and no iphone charger is available please?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Could you explain how to do this when the battery is dead and no iphone charger is available please?:confused:
    You go and get an Apple charger then? Pointless post of the day award...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Thargor wrote: »
    You go and get an Apple charger then? Pointless post of the day award...:confused:

I see what was meant now thank you. I'll go and buy a charger or I'll ring all of my contacts until I find someone with a charger that will work for an iphone, I then find the one nearest to me, then... no I'll tell you what, I think I'll hand the phone in to the local garda station. Now that's not rocket science Thargor.

Or you walk into any of the gadget shops that are on every street and ask them to plug it in while you tell Siri to ring home or ring mum/dad, or you look at the sim and hand it into that companies shop and tell them to ring the owner. Letting it sit in a drawer in a Garda station might not be the owners preferred option, not rocket science but you do seem to be struggling with it. Just noticed it wasnt even you that found the phone so why even bother posting?

Thargor wrote: »
    Or you walk into any of the gadget shops that are on every street and ask them to plug it in while you tell Siri to ring home or ring mum/dad, or you look at the sim and hand it into that companies shop and tell them to ring the owner. Letting it sit in a drawer in a Garda station might not be the owners preferred option, not rocket science but you do seem to be struggling with it. Just noticed it wasnt even you that found the phone so why even bother posting?

From my experience phone shops have no interest in finding the owner either. Friend found a phone a while back went into the phone shop of the SIM card and was told "you might as well keep it as it's going to be thrown in a box of other lost phones on the off chance the person comes into this shop and asks for it, we won't go looking for the owner".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I would go into the nearest carphone warehouse. They deal with most networks so should be able to help you. They definitely have chargers they would let you use for free given the circumstances. Hope you find the owner. Its very good of you to try.

From my experience phone shops have no interest in finding the owner either. Friend found a phone a while back went into the phone shop of the SIM card and was told "you might as well keep it as it's going to be thrown in a box of other lost phones on the off chance the person comes into this shop and asks for it, we won't go looking for the owner".
    Completely different to my experience, that what we used to do with phones when I worked in a hotel in Galway and had phones we couldn't reunite with their owners after every wedding, O2 and Vodafone always got them back to their owners. A shop in London sent a friends lost mobile back to Ireland ages ago aswell.

Advertisement