Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Isn't De Gea a shy and quiet lad supposedly? Maybe he just doesn't want the hassle and stress of all the chit chat and small talk and bullsh!t talk that would go along with going back to work especially if he has already said all his goodbyes and would just like to get everything sorted and move on, nice and quietly.

I don't see anything cowardly about that.

£25million would be a fair price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Reus is a CM? Ya what?

There's some history behind that that you wouldn't know about if you're only new to the forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

LVG launching a 50m bid for Muller according to the independent. They're about as reliable as the mirror and co or have they more credibility?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/louis-van-gaal-launches-50-million-bid-for-bayerns-thomas-muller-31346329.html

None whatsoever.

They reported "Morgan Schneiderlin to Manchester United: United photographer follows £25m midfielder on Twitter ahead of announcement"

Craig Norwood is not ManUtd official photographer. Now they have deleted the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Mars Bar wrote: »
    There's some history behind that that you wouldn't know about if you're only new to the forum!

Ah i see. Was scratching my head there. Cheers for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

L'equipe claiming we have made an 7.5 million bid for van der wiel.

also hernandez injured last night. reports saying he may not have recovered in time to pass a medical if he were to leave. seems similar to the fellaini stories from last summer when he seemed destined for the exit. wonder will it work out and hernandez ends up getting some chances and starts scoring again.

i know hes not the best on the ball but as an option from the bench he can still be a big threat with his speed and movement

EDIT: misread the story. 7.5million is his price but united want to get him for less with only a year left on his contract and psg wanting to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Otamendi not moving to Real Madrid according to agent, and what is going on at Madrid will have no effect on where he goes.

I do think Otamendi signs for United and Di Maria stays.

LVG going for a central partnership of Ramos and Otamendi, is my guess.
    But we will get Otamendi, but ???? over Ramos depending on a deal for De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ericzeking wrote: »
    Isn't De Gea a shy and quiet lad supposedly? Maybe he just doesn't want the hassle and stress of all the chit chat and small talk and bullsh!t talk that would go along with going back to work especially if he has already said all his goodbyes and would just like to get everything sorted and move on, nice and quietly.

I don't see anything cowardly about that.

£25million would be a fair price.

He is a professional footballer, he can damn well turn up and face the ****ing chit chat if thats what he is being paid to do.

If he doesn't want to do that, then he can hand in a transfer request and arrange a move sometime in the next century. Might be a little less stress if he had clearly stated his intentions at some point in the last 12 months.

Either leave, or turn up to training like a professional, who gives a toss if he might feel a little awkward about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Which isn't being played in Manchester.

all about the confidence though, he should be high on confidence and Argentina winning the copa America can only be good for both Rojo and di Maria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

magnumbud wrote: »
    L'equipe claiming we have made an 7.5 million bid for van der wiel.

also hernandez injured last night. reports saying he may not have recovered in time to pass a medical if he were to leave. seems similar to the fellaini stories from last summer when he seemed destined for the exit. wonder will it work out and hernandez ends up getting some chances and starts scoring again.

i know hes not the best on the ball but as an option from the bench he can still be a big threat with his speed and movement

Is there a good reason Van Der Wiel was not first choice right back for LVGs dutch side in the WC, was he injured?

As for hernandez, surely such an injury wouldn't be considered a reason not to sign a player - he can do other medical tests relating to health and legs etc - just can't do a dead lift - a collar bone injury surely isn't considered a long term threat, that would derail a medical or signing in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

brinty wrote: »
    But Reus is a CM....
    Di maria is a wide attacking player!!!!

If PSG want him, we'll take Lucas and Pastore and cash
    Reus is a CM? Ya what?

Paging Bangkok, paging Bangkok! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Le Parisien also now reporting PSG will go for Di Maria. A lot of noise being made about it in France now

Someone on here mentioned Reus as a replacement... almost hope he'll leave now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

He is a professional footballer, he can damn well turn up and face the ****ing chit chat if thats what he is being paid to do.

If he doesn't want to do that, then he can hand in a transfer request and arrange a move sometime in the next century. Might be a little less stress if he had clearly stated his intentions at some point in the last 12 months.

Either leave, or turn up to training like a professional, who gives a toss if he might feel a little awkward about it.

The post was in relation to him being called a coward, a coward like?
    I should have quoted it.

Would you call him a coward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Van der Wiel would be a decent signing for that price, seemed to have been first choice for PSG so must be a really good player.

strange though that LVG didnt pick him and now wants to sign him, though i guess Memphis wasnt a starter either.

and his missus is an absolute belter to add to the ever growing list of hot WAGs at the club so its a win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Just saw on SSN that Chico broke his collar bone against Honduras last night, he will hardly be going anywhere now.

That's so frustrating for him! On the back of another season on the bench he has a chance to get some games in the Gold Cup and now he's crocked for the summer.

I suppose at least a broken collar bone isn't such a complicated or dangerous injury that it would put off potential buyers too much, unlike say a knee injury (I'm open to correction on this).

I really, really, really hope he gets a good move this summer. I'm certain he'll score loads if he's first choice for a decent team. Also, I just want to watch him play. I'm sick of missing out on seeing a quality player playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

bangkok wrote: »
    all about the confidence though, he should be high on confidence and Argentina winning the copa America can only be good for both Rojo and di Maria

He was high on confidence last year after returning from the World Cup, his performances quickly dropped as stories about his unhappiness in Manchester began to surface. His form while he's out of Manchester and playing with the national side is good to see but largely irrelevant. It's how he feels when he's back at Utd that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Van der Wiel would be a decent signing for that price, seemed to have been first choice for PSG so must be a really good player.

strange though that LVG didnt pick him and now wants to sign him, though i guess Memphis wasnt a starter either.

and his missus is an absolute belter to add to the ever growing list of hot WAGs at the club so its a win win.

With regards Depay - the dutch were playing that 352 formation, so as a starter there was no position for Depay until Robben would go off or formation was changed.

Also, he would ahve been quite younger, where as Van Der Wiel should have been in his prime so either he was injured or Janmaat was considered better (and a player we didn't go after and are seemingly not going after)

paulbok wrote: »
    Paging Bangkok, paging Bangkok! :pac:

hi ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

He was high on confidence last year after returning from the World Cup, his performances quickly dropped as stories about his unhappiness in Manchester began to surface. His form while he's out of Manchester and playing with the national side is good to see but largely irrelevant. It's how he feels when he's back at Utd that matters.

he came in and had a good run in fairness but got injured and then while recovering had his house broken and came back when we were on a bad run and just didnt settle back in. similar happened to ozil at arsenal and when he was back playing this year looked far more settled.

1. he got injured at world cup so I doubt he was happy about that

2. he quickly showed what he can do when he signed

3. his house got robbed with his wife there and there was an immediate shift in his performance. that would effect most people.

4. Looks to be back on form now at Copa America

5. PFA player of the year 2015/16

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ericzeking wrote: »
    The post was in relation to him being called a coward, a coward like?
    I should have quoted it.

Would you call him a coward?

The strength of the word coward can vary from person to person, but I would have no problem calling a grown man who doesn't fulfill his obligations a coward.

If you don't like a situation either suck it up and do it, or do something to change it. But don't dodge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love to see Chico stay, he is one of most underrated players ever to play for United. Scored some huge goals for us. I always remember those goals against Stoke back in 2010. It was super away day.

Owes club nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Love to see Chico stay, he is one of most underrated players ever to play for United. Scored some huge goals for us. I always remember those goals against Stoke back in 2010. It was super away day.

Owes club nothing.

If anything he's overrated by Utd fans.

If anything he's overrated by Utd fans.

how come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

how come?

If he's that good, why hasn't he been made first choice by Fergie, Van Gaal or Ancelotti.

I like the player btw. I just think he is more of an impact player. And that's not good enough at Utd.

If he's that good, why hasn't he been made first choice by Fergie, Van Gaal or Ancelotti.

I like the player btw. I just think he is more of an impact player. And that's not good enough at Utd.

In fairness he has some World Class Players in front of him, bit unfair.

Think he could be great addition and super sub to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't think he's overrated. He's rated in the context of his role, for the most part, i.e. as a back up player.

But he's looking for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The above. Not good enough to play in a starting role for United in the striker position, as we need more then a poacher.

His build up play and linkup play are not terrible, but simply not good enough to lead our line.

From watching a lot of Madrid as usual, this is also why he barely got game time for them, he is just no good playing as a lone striker or for a team that requires heavily on their striker to link play.

He is a third choice striker at best for us, and therefore should move to a club that can accomodate him into their style of play, and get the games. He's a lethal finisher and poacher, but the cons to his game are too much for us to start him.

Quotes by Guardiola in regards to Schweinsteiger:
    "Basti has managed a great career. he must decide what he does alone, I told him, the future depends on you. I do not know, what happened"
    Maybe that should be happens...
    Looks like Pep wants him gone.

Lopez who is the agent for Otamendi, was also the agent for Di Maria in the past and still has contact with Di Maria, it is being reported that Lopez will not allow Otamendi go to Madrid because of the way Di Maria was treated, due to being told not to play in the World Cup final and for making his transfer to United more difficult than it should have been.
    Lopez: "Before Sergio Ramos goes, if he does, from Real Madrid, Otamendi will already be playing for another club."

I believe we will do excellent business this transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Those quotes don't mean he wants him gone.
    Just sounds like he is being respectful to him and saying he can choose what he wants to do with his life and no one will force him into anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd be surprised if Otemendi's agent was devastated if Otemendi went to Real if they were the highest bidders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

CI5n_6gWIAAd1Ht.jpg

Fergie always liked to have a four striker rotation, so even players like Ole and Sheringham went seasons where they weren't first choice, even though they were obviously good enough to be.

Van Gaal thought it would be a good idea to play RVP and Falcao up front together in a narrow formation, so I wouldn't put much faith in how he rated the strikers.

Madrid needed a striker who can hold up the ball and link up well to complement Ronaldo who will lose possession a lot. So Chicharito, being a goal poacher, really wasn't suited to that team.

Hernandez would easily score 20 goals playing for Arsenal. Criticising him for not being a no1 striker at either Man Utd or Real Madrid is extremely harsh. He would easily walk onto 15 of the 20 premier league club teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Chico is a good player and I would be happy to see him stay.Good impact player and no shame in being behind Rooney and RVP in the pecking order.
    I would be fine with Rooney,RVP,Chico and Wilson as the strikers at the club this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hernandez would easily score 20 goals playing for Arsenal. Criticising him for not being a no1 striker at either Man Utd or Real Madrid is extremely harsh. He would easily walk onto 15 of the 20 premier league club teams

People said that about Welbeck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Guardiola: "United did not pay so much money for nothing, he [Di Maria] is a great player."

When asked if interested, he replied: "No."

Well I guess we have some good news...

Trilla wrote: »

Hernandez is an out and out striker, Welbeck plays the majority of his games on the left wing. No one expects welbeck to hit 20 goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

That they did,
    Chico would score 15-20 a season for clubs in the bottom half of the table but he just doesn't have that little bit extra to be an out and out 1st choice for a top European team
    in the '99 season Cole, Yorke, Teddy and Ole were all contributing at every opportunity, (think they all score 15+ goals that season) Chico is not at that same level of contribution and as such he needs to move on from Manchester United for his own career.

I'm pretty sure most Welbeck fans saw him as having a chance to develop into a prolific striker, rather than thinking he was already one who just needed an opportunity to play.

• Advertisement

so, in the scenario that Real sell us Ramos and then use the money for Otamendi.

who would end up doing better, United or Real?

A key factor here could be that Real would only sell to us if we sell them DDG.

That they did,
    Chico would score 15-20 a season for clubs in the bottom half of the table but he just doesn't have that little bit extra to be an out and out 1st choice for a top European team
    in the '99 season Cole, Yorke, Teddy and Ole were all contributing at every opportunity, (think they all score 15+ goals that season) Chico is not at that same level of contribution and as such he needs to move on from Manchester United for his own career.

a big factor in that season was the midfield we had. Beckham, Giggs, Keane, Scholes. The supply line from the wings was some of the best ever seen in football. Beckham could pick out a player from a cross like no player has ever done and is likely ever to do again.

so, in the scenario that Real sell us Ramos and then use the money for Otamendi.

who would end up doing better, United or Real?

A key factor here could be that Real would only sell to us if we sell them DDG.

But the agent of Otamendi says he will have moved before any possible Ramos move, and it won't be to Madrid.
    I think United have a deal in place, just waiting for the Copa to finish so he can concentrate on that.

So I think it is maybe a case of you give us the player we want (Ramos and De Gea) and we are all happy, or both can be miserable with players who want to be elsewhere.

In his three seasons playing under Fergie Chicharito scored 20, 12 and 18 goals. That is easily at the same level of contribution to what you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

1. he got injured at world cup so I doubt he was happy about that

2. he quickly showed what he can do when he signed

3. his house got robbed with his wife there and there was an immediate shift in his performance. that would effect most people.

4. Looks to be back on form now at Copa America

5. PFA player of the year 2015/16

:cool:

I'm well aware of the timeline of events. My point is that if Di Maria comes back to Utd and tells them he's unhappy and can't settle then Utd should listen to reasonable offers for him rather than refusing to sell and have him spend the next year making the odd (awful) appearance from the bench and shaving £x million off his resale value.

If he comes back and says he's good to go then happy days.

RobertKK wrote: »
    But the agent of Otamendi says he will have moved before any possible Ramos move, and it won't be to Madrid.
    I think United have a deal in place, just waiting for the Copa to finish so he can concentrate on that.

So I think it is maybe a case of you give us the player we want (Ramos and De Gea) and we are all happy, or both can be miserable with players who want to be elsewhere.

so in that case, either we are signing 2 center halves (or maybe Ramos as the RB) or Ramos is just a face save/diversion????

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    In his three seasons playing under Fergie Chicharito scored 20, 12 and 18 goals. That is easily at the same level of contribution to what you're talking about.

True enough ProF
    but he's tailed of over the last two seasons.
    Granted that's mostly been caused by a change in formation, style etc
    It really is a thing of what have you done for me lately, unfortunate as that may be.
    I'd love to see him back and banging in the goals but I'm not sure it'll happen

a big factor in that season was the midfield we had. Beckham, Giggs, Keane, Scholes. The supply line from the wings was some of the best ever seen in football. Beckham could pick out a player from a cross like no player has ever done and is likely ever to do again.

True enough Bang,
    and don't forget the contributions from said midfield and Butt, Blomqvist etc

True enough Bang,
    and don't forget the contributions from said midfield and Butt, Blomqvist etc

yea I was just saying them 4 as they were the main guys in that team.

Gary Neville and Denis Irwin also had great work ethic and both were also excellent crossers of the ball.

Such a good team back then. None of them never seemed to be injured either apart from the odd Giggs hamstring twinge

True enough ProF
    but he's tailed of over the last two seasons.
    Granted that's mostly been caused by a change in formation, style etc
    It really is a thing of what have you done for me lately, unfortunate as that may be.
    I'd love to see him back and banging in the goals but I'm not sure it'll happen

By "tailed off" do you mean that he hasn't been given games or do you mean that his talent has diminished? Edit: Because if you are saying that he is less good now than he was before, what is your evidence?

I'm well aware of the timeline of events. My point is that if Di Maria comes back to Utd and tells them he's unhappy and can't settle then Utd should listen to reasonable offers for him rather than refusing to sell and have him spend the next year making the odd (awful) appearance from the bench and shaving £x million off his resale value.

If he comes back and says he's good to go then happy days.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/angel-di-maria-insists-he-is-not-happy-with-bench-role-but-wont-be-leaving-manchester-united-31328856.html

he is staying, that was last week..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement