Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »

Meh - never trust what a footballer says, ever.

I'll believe he is staying when I see him in the United squad after the window closes. Words come easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm well aware of the timeline of events. My point is that if Di Maria comes back to Utd and tells them he's unhappy and can't settle then Utd should listen to reasonable offers for him rather than refusing to sell and have him spend the next year making the odd (awful) appearance from the bench and shaving £x million off his resale value.

If he comes back and says he's good to go then happy days.

From what he's said in interview he's made it clear he wants to try and put in a better season next year and doesn't want to leave. Unless he changes his mind I firmly believe we should stick with him. I expect big things from him this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Words come easy.

Not according to the Bee Gees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

We could BADLY do with a signing today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Meh - never trust what a footballer says, ever.

I'll believe he is staying when I see him in the United squad after the window closes. Words come easy.

But trust what the papers say about them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

irishfeen wrote: »

Why? To appease people? Honestly would rather we get the right signings than the quick signings.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Why? To appease people? Honestly would rather we get the right signings than the quick signings.
    To settle nerves more then anything... not to mention the fact that the players are reporting back for training on Monday.

To settle nerves more then anything... not to mention the fact that the players are reporting back for training on Monday.

Settle whose nerves exactly?

The players?
    Lvg?
    Fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Lord TSC wrote: »

100% but we all want the right signings quicker :) The unknown is what is driving people demented, personally I just with it was first game of the season tomorrow! I miss watching football, speculation is the worst part of todays game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pro. F wrote: »
    By "tailed off" do you mean that he hasn't been given games or do you mean that his talent has diminished?

I think problem with Chico is he never kicked on, and developed his game to suit the team he was operating in.

I think its a case of a good player just operating in the wrong climates. He is a bit of an old school striker, who has a niche, and that niche isn't really fitting into United, or Madrid when he went there.

It was an evident part of Falcaos struggles, dropping deep back to goal, and struggling. Hernandez struggles at this also. Receiving the ball and then linking play.

Rooney and RVP do it well for us, while Benzema is just brilliant at it. There was a few games last season I saw where Hernandez played and actually had good linkup play, but it wasn't consistent enough, with other games the ball bouncing off him or him being muscled off.

I don't think there should be a slight or critique on Chico himself in all of this, he has traits and abilities that most teams would love to have, but I think he just doesn't fit into certain setups, especially the ones that require one strong lone striker.

So the likes of Chelsea, Madrid, us and Bayern, he would struggle.

But in plenty of other teams he would easily be a 20 goal striker. Arsenal, Liverpool, Wolfsburg, Valencia, basically a team that can play him up top with someone close behind.

If I was working for a newspaper, I'd spin the story United to offer Chico in exchange for Seamus Coleman ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"Settling nerves of fans" should, and likely is, very far down the list of prioritises of those involved in transfers.

The priority needs to be getting the right players in to run a successful challenge for the title this year. Those sorts of players don't move round easily or quickly. I have no doubt we could a ban Ings level player today if we wanted. But we are after, and need to be after, bigger fish who take longer to hook in successfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

These are world class professional players we are attempting to sign, whether they do their pre season training in Manchester, Madrid, Valencia or anywhere isnt gonna make a huge difference. Yes LVG is all about his philosophy but unlike last year its only gonna be 3-4 guys learning it now as opposed to a whole squad.

God forbid the transfer window system is ever abolished, some people on here would explode if we signed a player in October or February

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think problem with Chico is he never kicked on, and developed his game to suit the team he was operating in.

I think its a case of a good player just operating in the wrong climates. He is a bit of an old school striker, who has a niche, and that niche isn't really fitting into United, or Madrid when he went there.

It was an evident part of Falcaos struggles, dropping deep back to goal, and struggling. Hernandez struggles at this also. Receiving the ball and then linking play.

Rooney and RVP do it well for us, while Benzema is just brilliant at it. There was a few games last season I saw where Hernandez played and actually had good linkup play, but it wasn't consistent enough, with other games the ball bouncing off him or him being muscled off.

I don't think there should be a slight or critique on Chico himself in all of this, he has traits and abilities that most teams would love to have, but I think he just doesn't fit into certain setups, especially the ones that require one strong lone striker.

So the likes of Chelsea, Madrid, us and Bayern, he would struggle.

But in plenty of other teams he would easily be a 20 goal striker. Arsenal, Liverpool, Wolfsburg, Valencia, basically a team that can play him up top with someone close behind.

If I was working for a newspaper, I'd spin the story United to offer Chico in exchange for Seamus Coleman ;)

I agree, however I'd describe that as a problem "for" Chico rather than "with" him. Too many people trying to hold up his failure to completely change his style as evidence that he's a lesser striker, when it's extremely rare for a striker to be able to reinvent themselves like that.

Settle whose nerves exactly?

The players?
    Lvg?
    Fans?
    Mine for starters :) ... not one signing since the PL ended - thats 39 days... 51 days since Memphis Depay signed... just one now before the weekend would suit me fine.

duffman13 wrote: »
    100% but we all want the right signings quicker :) The unknown is what is driving people demented, personally I just with it was first game of the season tomorrow! I miss watching football, speculation is the worst part of todays game

The unknown is only the unknown to those on the outside.
    It's not unknown to those on the inside.

I feel like some Chinese philosophy after than.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mine for starters :) ... not one signing since the PL ended - thats 39 days... 51 days since Memphis Depay signed... just one now before the weekend would suit me fine.

Its going to Happen Feen
    #choo****ingchoo #PositivityTrain
    beers and bewbs are at the ready

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Deals for players that exist in the higher echelon of world football ie a lot of the players that would be Uniteds first choice, will take longer to conclude than if we were shopping in the mid level player market like some of the teams that have made signings. The contracts alone are likely more onerous - image rights and what not so I'm in no way panicked yet.

If in 2 weeks time we havnt made any significant moves THEN I will begin to get a bit anxious.

The unknown is only the unknown to those on the outside.
    It's not unknown to those on the inside.

I feel like some Chinese philosophy after than.
    haaaaaa, I see wha you did there Gowl
    I like it....

Mowe philoshopheeeeeeee pwease mista Rex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And how exactly was he going to do that behind Rooney and Van Persie in the pecking order?

It must be frustrating for the likes of Hernandez. Doesn't get regular football for 3 years and at the end of it people say he hasn't developed, but how was he going to develop sitting on the bench? Training isn't enough, these guys need to be playing football. If he had sat on the bench behind Ricky Lambert maybe you could criticise, but he was behind two undroppable players, he never really stood a chance.

Its the same with Nani, we barely played him for 2/3 seasons and at the end people say "sure what has he done for us lately?". How was he supposed to show his quality if we don't play him?

I have little doubt that had we actually played Hernandez and Nani regularly for the last three seasons we would not be having this conversation, they would have developed into top class players and would have goals and assists to prove it. But we didn't play them. Fair enough, thats how team selection goes, but we can't have it both ways, we can't sit them on the bench and then 3 years time complain that they haven't developed enough.

• Advertisement

Ed's just lining up a raft of signing to unveil at once.

Then he will organise a big news conference. There will be a ramp way and entrance arch, similar to the WWE, leading from a backstage area, down to the long table and chairs, where the journalists sit patiently in front.

Music breaks, and then Otamendi walks out. Few arms in the air appeasing fans, as he gently trots down to the table and takes his seat.

Some silky Spanish tunes come on, and Ramos appears, walking with swagger and suave down the ramp, winking as the ladies collapse behind the barricades. he gives a gentle wave as he takes his place beside Otamendi.

Next in line is Schneiderlan, donning a cheeky beret he saunters down the table, shrugging his shoulders, acting like its really no big deal, to take his seat.

Rammstein bursts over the sound system, and massive fireworks erupt and flames bursting out from the rampway. Schweinsteiger comes through the entrance to a seriously heavy German beat, thumping his chest and shouting as he stomps down towards the tables. He does a brisk lap of the table with arms in air, before sitting down.

Van Gaal then comes through with a number of bizarrely dressed woman flanking his side, donning a new sponsor for the clubs new energy drink partnership. He walks to each side of the isle giving high fives.

He sits at the table, to each side his signings. The music stops, and the conference controller introduces those at the table, and asks for silence from the fans, so journalists ask their questions.

"Oliver Holt, you're first up"

"ahem, Louis, WHY HAVE YOU SIGNED NO BLACK PLAYERS, ARE YOU A RACIST?"

Van Gaal folds his chair and jumps over the table, smashes it over Holt.

Henry Winter gasps "Louis what are you..." The Iron Tulip boots Winter in the torso, and proceeds with a stunner.

The crowd go wild

CHOO CHOO, CHOO CHOO

He grabs the mic from the announcer

IF YOU SMELLLLLL LAAALALALALALA, THE PROCESSHHH, IM PROCESHHING

Drops the mic and exists the conference. We go on to win the treble.

Choo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Yeah we are going for the top class players but trying to spend feck all money to get them. Its a good system.

37 days to start of the Premier League, 49 days to the return of this baby :)

Pro. F wrote: »
    I agree, however I'd describe that as a problem "for" Chico rather than "with" him. Too many people trying to hold up his failure to completely change his style as evidence that he's a lesser striker, when it's extremely rare for a striker to be able to reinvent themselves like that.

Yeah that's an important word actually.

It's something that maybe he can change in his game as he gets older, ala Owen etc. for when the pace starts to go, but the traits and ability he has now should be providing massive benefit, and there should be other top clubs around interested.

And how exactly was he going to do that behind Rooney and Van Persie in the pecking order?

It must be frustrating for the likes of Hernandez. Doesn't get regular football for 3 years and at the end of it people say he hasn't developed, but how was he going to develop sitting on the bench? Training isn't enough, these guys need to be playing football. If he had sat on the bench behind Ricky Lambert maybe you could criticise, but he was behind two undroppable players, he never really stood a chance.

If Chico wanted to be playing for United as a starter, he would need to develop his back to goal play and general linkup play. Our strikers need to be strong back to goal, simple as that. Large part of Falcaos struggles were how poor he was at that part of his game.

So if he wanted to break through he would need to develop or improve that side of his game, as it was unlikely requires we have for our striker would change to accomodate him. He is a different type of striker, and therefore was a different option, but not one managers felt was strongest from the start.

But best exploited toward the end of games when legs and minds were tired, and he could exploit space. And how we "used" to bombard opposition boxes in the last 10-15 mins if we were chasing, he was a good shout to nick a goal.

I assume in training he was being watched and that side of his game wasn't building, but then again it's maybe not something that he can do at this point or hasn't clicked. Maybe it's something he just isn't good at.

He has different traits to our other strikers, but not ones valued it appears for the full 90 minutes. That's just us though, there are plenty of clubs that would happily take him, as the first choice striker, and cover his defencies elsewhere either by a striking partner, or playing to his strengths.

Yeah we are going for the top class players but trying to spend feck all money to get them. Its a good system.

When you buy a brand new car, do you just walk in and say "that one" and then pay over the advertised price, sign the paperwork and leave?

Or do you play the game, try get a few quid off, or some extras thrown in?

• Advertisement

When you buy a brand new car, do you just walk in and say "that one" and then pay over the advertised price, sign the paperwork and leave?

I wouldn't spend two months 'preparing' a bid:P

Also, your scenario is exactly what the other half did.

"Oh you have a grey one in stock? I'll take that".:eek::(

TheDoc is in flying form today...
    #PHILLOSHOPHEEEEEEEE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Do you faff about for two months, preparing to make an enquiry about a possible bid and then letting the salesman ignore your phone calls? When you've known you needed a car since last christmas?

Do you faff about for two months, preparing to make an enquiry about a possible bid and then letting the salesman ignore your phone calls? When you've known you needed a car since last christmas?

When you listen to misinformation, you will miss the information.

#philshosheee

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

so in that case, either we are signing 2 center halves (or maybe Ramos as the RB) or Ramos is just a face save/diversion????

I always believed we wanted to sign two CBs, but I do think United want Ramos because he is quality, versatile which offers United more options, but also to say to Real Madrid, 'look we can do what you want to do to us'.

That is why De Vrij is being mentioned in my opinion, as the back up for a possible failed Ramos move, because we have an agreement for Otamendi in my opinion.

Van Gaal will be all out to avoid the defensive nightmares of last season.

• Advertisement

heres one for you...
    if and its a big "IF" we got Otamendi and Ramos, is Smalling on borrowed time as Jones just signed a new contract and Rojo was an LvG signing???
    Also would assume on or both of McNair or Blackett goes out on loan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

brinty wrote: »
    heres one for you...
    if and its a big "IF" we got Otamendi and Ramos, is Smalling on borrowed time as Jones just signed a new contract and Rojo was an LvG signing???

Smalling also just signed a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I read an article that said we were pondering a bid for some player

Brilliant work from that journalist I got a good laugh from it

Smalling also just signed a new contract.
    we're signing all the centre backs

and end up buying a bike.:P

Or LVG was impressed with Rojo at LB and sees him and Shaw battling it out for the position all season with Rojo as CB in case of emergency

If we signed two CBs, I would say ALL our current centre backs would be in trouble. They are all players that will want to be first choice. That will be more difficult to begin with if we just sign one - but signing two would mean all the current lads will be casting an eye on the exit door before too long, new contract or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

LeeJM wrote: »
    Or LVG was impressed with Rojo at LB and sees him and Shaw battling it out for the position all season with Rojo as CB in case of emergency

based off last season, he doesnt trust Shaw 100% looks like mainly due to fitness/injury.

Rojo is a very good LB.

Rojo is very good at LB and we've Blind and Shaw so no bither there
    Two signings at CB and we're sorted there..
    Cough splutter splutter RB.......

Shaw won't be going anywhere. We all know LvG is not a long term manager so i'd imagine Shaw will be fine once LvG departs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Van Gaal then comes through with a number of bizarrely dressed woman flanking his side, donning a new sponsor for the clubs new energy drink partnership. He walks to each side of the isle giving high fives.

The soundtrack to LVG's entrance obviously being a sax solo.

• Advertisement

The soundtrack to LVG's entrance obviously being a sax solo.

With his end of season speech blaring out behind it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

brinty wrote: »
    heres one for you...

Player rotation, could also seeing Louis playing three at the back for certain games (very much a minority of games).
    We didn't have the players for his 3-5-2 last season.
    A back three of Ramos, Otamendi and Smalling would be strong, Rojo can play wing back as could Valencia/new RB.

I think we will have the players for a very strong 4-3-3 and a very strong 3-5-2 formation, I am sure he still has pleasant dreams at night regarding that Spanish game last Summer.

Players will get injured, need a rest, and some will be reserved for Capital one cup type games.

Yes it is a big IF.

based off last season, he doesnt trust Shaw 100% looks like mainly due to fitness/injury.

Rojo is a very good LB.

Id say he doesnt trust him to be fit all season so I wouldnt be surprised to see Rojo start there. And Im just guessing it could be that that is the same reason he doesnt trust Rafael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

bravado_little_britain_want_that_one_red-white2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

likewise, when your existing Car has been stuttering for 2 years now and youve made some mistakes in the past when trying to replace it, you should have plenty of experience in being able to know how the garages around you work and how to get the right car, for the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Chirst, Stoke having a transfer window to make every other club jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Well if I knew I badly needed a car and knew the required specifications then once I found a car that meets them I would certainly buy what I badly need in the timeliest manner, then perhaps move on and see do I wish to buy a bigger house or how else can I upgrade my life. Rather than offering thousands below the asking price pissing around in the car lot doing feck all for a few weeks before finding a somewhat acceptable car (after the perfect one is gone) but then have no time to buy a new house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If I've learned nothing else today, and I haven't, it's that car mechanics should make for great managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Chirst, Stoke having a transfer window to make every other club jealous.

Will make picking the Fantasy Football team interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Sitting in the office here waiting for us to sign players and I'm like...
    e174ez1.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement