Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

1194195196197198200»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

LeeJM wrote: »
    You get worked up over literally every news story or transfer link thats made about us even though its been pointed out to you that no journo's in the uk get any info from the club anymore.

LVG has come in and most ppl realise he didnt set the world alight last season but he reached his target of top 4. And already this summer we have signed 1 of europes most sought after talents in Depay and yet you still think Woodward isnt capable of doing his job. Anybody who can negotiate a £750m kit deal obviously isnt a f*ckwit.

lets be fair here, i dont think anybody on here can seriously say our transfer policy is as good as it should be yet some are afraid to admit it publically. our rivals tend to get their business done every summer much more efficiently and with better prodictivity than us yet certain sections of the United fan base seem to think this is acceptable or is not a concern.

nobody is denying outside of football that Woodward and his board have made great strides in the last 10 year and this is a great credit to him. on the football side of things though, under his watch while the club has spend record money and our wage bill has shot up, our team has still got massive issues with it. that of course is not just his fault and there are several other issues but he and the club ethos has played a part in it.
    Everyone realises Woodward had a slow start as Chief Exec

the problem is, not everybody does. there are people who think he is doing a super job and completely ignore his failings time and time again. it is ia simple case that when a signing happens, people forget whats gone on before it.

now again, i will repeat that its not just Woodwards fault, we have had a fundamental issue with our transfer set up for many years now...the difference is we have completely gone the opposite to what our approach used to be and we still cant get it right.

i would love a summer where we went out and once the season was over, we bought in 3 world class players with a minimum of fuss. its not a huge ask, but people seem to treat it as if we are expecting f*cking ronaldo, messi and aguero type signings every summer. we arent. in the moyes summer, had we signed 3 top players which should not have been an issue, we would have challenged for the title.

i am convinced that it was the poor summer window and the farcical situations that transpired, that started the process for Moyes early demise in the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I can totally appreciate that homer and it does seem like there is 2 camps in the thread of either Super Ed or Sh*tty Ed. I agree with you that generally the problems go right back to Fergie and Gill refusing to spend even 5m over what they thought a players value was. And maybe Ed is going about things the wrong way but we dont know for sure if he is or isnt. IMO he just needs to be given more time and for some to appreciate the window isnt closed until August 31st. In an ideal world we would have most of our business done and lets hope with Ed we start to see that happen over the coming years, but its gonna take time. Daniel Levy didn't get his rep as a hard negotiator based on 1 summer, it takes time to build that rep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Reports in Valencia has been looking at cave paintings of ancient football matches in preperation for his move to LB next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Reports in Valencia has been looking at cave paintings of ancient football matches in preperation for his move to LB next season

I heard he tried on a pair of DDG's gloves and they fit perfectly. He's been studying tapes of Jorge Campos and Jose Luis Chilavert :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

If United were as well run as you would all have me believe, we wouldn't have done as poorly in the league and Europe the last few seasons.

We won the league 3 years ago. Obviously after the season Moyes was there we couldn't be in Europe last year. Name one club that hasn't gone through **** times for a year or two whilst in transition? We achieved our goal of getting back in the back four whilst integrating a number of new players into the side. Next season we will be challenging or at very least closer to the top. We don't have a monopoly on winning everything every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I can totally appreciate that homer and it does seem like there is 2 camps in the thread of either Super Ed or Sh*tty Ed. I agree with you that generally the problems go right back to Fergie and Gill refusing to spend even 5m over what they thought a players value was. And maybe Ed is going about things the wrong way but we dont know for sure if he is or isnt. IMO he just needs to be given more time and for some to appreciate the window isnt closed until August 31st. In an ideal world we would have most of our business done and lets hope with Ed we start to see that happen over the coming years, but its gonna take time. Daniel Levy didn't get his rep as a hard negotiator based on 1 summer, it takes time to build that rep

People realised for years that Fergie and Gill were letting the squad weaken. A mixture of Fergie being a genius and our rivals being weak let us get away with it.

Woodward came in and really had a massive job on his hands. It can;t be denied he had a poor first year.

But last year he brought in some great players. I never imagined we could sign someone like Di Maria.

Has he overpaid for players probably but clubs know we are desperate.

Woodward has brought in record revenue to the club so i don't care if he overspends to get in quality players.

I actually can't understand how people are moaning about Woodward when you consider the amount of quality the squad lacked and still lacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I think its the "still lacks quality" part, combined with the only signing Depay. Until we get a squad that doesnt have gaping holes for the world to see I dont get the daft underpricing method. We badly need DMC to cover for Carrick, we know Schneiderlins asking price. **** dicking around with prices give them what they want and we get to address one of the major squad deficiency. Then maybe address the other gaping weaknesses (RB mainly). Then maybe we can dick around a bit with fees when we have a decent base. But for now the priority should be fixing the major issues holding us back. When clubs know how badly stuck we are they can overprice the players and we either pay up or do without. We cant do without so....

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I actually can't understand how people are moaning about Woodward when you consider the amount of quality the squad lacked and still lacks.

have you not answered your question in the same sentence? lets be realistic here, if in April 2013 you were told that we would sign 8 new players costing over £200m youd expect us to be in the champions league final and have two more PL titles wrapped up..

we came 7th and 4th. everything had a domino effect from that disaster summer 2013 - you add 3 players to that title winning squad and wed certainly would not have been finishing anywhere near 7th. add 3 more in last summer and suddently things are back to normal, even if we had to get in a new manager.

and the desperation perhaps is coming from him. he also said publically how much money we had so spend on players, something he did not need to do or say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It's turning into something of a Mitchhunt on this thread. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Do ye actually believe it's ed Woodward that runs every single department. Do ye think he does absolutely everything?

He dosent. No CEO does.

Do ye actually believe it's ed Woodward that runs every single department. Do ye think he does absolutely everything?

He dosent. No CEO does.

yes fully agreed,so perhaps the praise he gets isnt fully justified and its actually his backroom team that sign all those watch, type and peanut deals.

it is however, universally accepted that he has primary responsibly for transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

irishfeen wrote: »

I agree it would be tough to convince him to leave he has done it all in Germany, 13 seasons with them it makes sense to finish His career there, I'd love to sign him but I've a feeling he will stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dont get why utd are interested in schweinsteiger. Now if it was the younger schweinsteiger it would make sense but schweinsteiger best days are behind him. He's a shadow of the player he once was mostly because of injuries. He has been hammered by injuries. He will also be 31 in August

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    I agree it would be tough to convince him to leave he has done it all in Germany, 13 seasons with them it makes sense to finish His career there, I'd love to sign him but I've a feeling he will stay

the one thing that makes me think it could happen is LVG. alot of players really respect him and its a really good advantage for us.

based on what he said, he pretty much snapped his fingers and suddenly Depay diverted his move from paris to manchester.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Headshot wrote: »
    I dont get why utd are interested in schweinsteiger. Now if it was the younger schweinsteiger it would make sense but schweinsteiger best days are behind him. He's a shadow of the player he once was mostly because of injuries. He has been hammered by injuries. He will also be 31 in August

no harm having him as a squad player. better than cleverly

I assume he would be relatively cheap and would add massive experience to our squad.

Roquentin wrote: »
    better than cleverly

baffling logic. leon osman and charlie adam are probably better than Cleverly, should we go and sign them too??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

baffling logic. leon osman and charlie adam are probably better than Cleverly, should we go and sign them too??

Difference between those lads is Sebastian has a WC, cl, numerous league and German cups to his name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The only baffling thing is you putting those two names in the same sentence as Schweinstiger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

In a three man midfield he has a lot to offer imo. His injuries would be a concern but overall its not an obstacle that can't be looked past.

His experience means a lot to Van Gaal who believes in systems and ability of a player to think fast or make the right decisions. Possibly that is why Carrick was so good last season. Mentally Schweinsteiger can make up for slower legs. If United could get him Herrera and Schneiderlin could do a lot of the hard running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think everyone shares the frustration. We see the weaknesses in the first team. Nobody is blind to them. Even if we have a great summer and sign everything we *immediately* need (RB, CB, CM) we would still need another transfer window to fully catchup after years of neglect.

Everyone would obviously like to have all deals done and everything solved by now. They haven't been, yet. From my own perspective I ignore twitter, and I ignore pretty much all football transfer "links" and I'm still bothered by a lack of closure on targets we need. But I figure that its a little trickier than it looks in Football Manager. With all the frustration, some people voice it, others don't and try to be patient. In the Moyes era people were dismissing the club as amateur because the papers were daily reporting what MUFC were up to. Now there is no information, and people don't take it as a sign of increased professionalism - instead its a sign that nothing is being done and that the club is amateur. Which adds to the frustration.

And I don't think our rivals are far ahead either. Of Liverpools signings, the only one United were apparently interested in was Clyne. The rest...they're good signings for Liverpool, and I think they will improve their team but they aren't at the level United need. Arsenal have signed Czech, but they still are missing a DM and a striker. Chelsea have signed no one of interest to my knowledge, though Falcao seems to be on the way to little excitement. Its a huge summer for Man City, but they haven't made much more progress on Sterling. By comparison, we're not where we want to be but we're not being obviously outpaced either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Schweinsteiger would be a top class signing and would immediately improve the team.
    He is what Cleverley, Osman and other good to average midfielders aspire to but won't reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hococop wrote: »
    Difference between those lads is Sebastian has a WC, cl, numerous league and German cups to his name

Its Bastian not Sebastian.

Sand wrote: »
    Its a huge summer for Man City, but they haven't made much more progress on Sterling..

that deal is only a matter of time, not when i would think. Liverpool look like they want their work done before people know they have a shed load of money to spend, like what happened them last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

All in good time, Transfer Window is ONLY 2 DAYS OLD, and will remain open until September 2nd, so everyone calm down, signings will be made. Ye all just need to be fecking patient.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

No one has really made a significant move. To be honest, I know Liverpool have brought in 6 players but I'd prefer Depay to the six of them combined.

It's early in the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    All in good time, Transfer Window is ONLY 2 DAYS OLD, and will remain open until September 2nd, so everyone calm down, signings will be made. Ye all just need to be fecking patient.

To be fair the last few summers and even winter transfer windows featured the same ideal posts.

Ideally patience will be rewarded, on the other hand some key issues raised early last season like a possible slow start came to fruition and it cost the club overall.

I think (Sorry to pick him out) posters like Mitch should be allowed raise concerns now as if he turned out to be wrong he would admit it. His views are not trolling or made to annoy anyone.

so you disagree with our manager who said the signings should be done for preseason, which is 12 days away? and this 2 days old reference is just rubbish, we have in past years signed most of our players before 1st of July - there is about 10 of the current squad who have been signed well before this. its also extremely rare that we sign players during the pre-season tour, i think its something like 1 in 7 or 8 years so if we dont break this club practice, it looks like we will start the season as is, if we dont sign players in the next 12 days.

you can allow for exceptions but letting your business go until the 2nd of September is incompetence, especially considering how poor a start we made the last 2 seasons.

July 14th is the cut off for me, i simply refuse to believe that LVG will allow the club to mess up again so players will be signed before this. i had expected this week, but its unlikely though not at issue .

• Advertisement

so you disagree with our manager who said the signings should be done for preseason, which is 12 days away?

you can allow for exceptions but letting your business go until the 2nd of September is incompetence, especially considering how poor a start we made the last 2 seasons.

I don't disagree with Van Gaal when he said signings should be done for pre-season (maybe for all we know, they are done but the club are keeping quiet about it for now, or maybe not take your pick), and a lot can happen between now and the club jetting off for pre-season in the U.S in 12 days time.

Mistakes of the last 2 seasons CANNOT be repeated this forthcoming season, which hopefully now that Woodward has been in the job 2 years now, he should know what to do at this point in time.

yes fully agreed,so perhaps the praise he gets isnt fully justified and its actually his backroom team that sign all those watch, type and peanut deals.

it is however, universally accepted that he has primary responsibly for transfers.

Of course. And I'm sure he thanks the teams for their work in getting it all done, like in every business. They probably even get sweets on Fridays.
    All the pro ed stuff here is mostly tongue in cheek though. I'm part of it and for me it's tongue in cheek.

But on the other hand, he is not as incompetent as people think he, or the club is. You do not get up to that level of business by being stupid and not knowing what to do. There is structures and procedures in place at the club to do things, just like any other business.

It's all well and good looking from the outside thinking he is stupid and the club is a joke, but the reality is, it's not. It's one of, if not the best run club in the world. Maybe bayern are better run?

And the most specific gripe people seen to have is transfers, which will have so many aspects to it, like financing and waiting for different counter parties to sign off. They are no fools.
    I'm not sure if anyone else would have similar experience of waiting for people to sign off on things and they take ages. The real world is people dragging their heels. Utd may want to get all their stuff done by now but real world factors will stop that. That dosent mean they are a joke.
    Just sounds like Woodward is made out I be a 16 year old making a mess of petrol pumps sometimes and that's wrong

Transfer dealings didbt start 2 days ago. It's not like they were waiting to click send at 12 o clock. They are well under way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Agree with FutureGuy, and Depay is going to be one of the best signings of the transfer window.

Can't wait to see him play for us.

The signings will be coming, we are signing quality, not quantity.

Presuming Argentina win, I expect after the celebrations, Otamendi will be announced as a United player.
    Ramos/DDG deals worked out.
    Schneiderlin signed and other deals worked out.

No point worrying over the fact just one deal has been announced, it doesn't mean other deals are not done.
    For example the agent of Otamendi makes it clear that he will be moving and it will be announced soon.
    United were not going to sign Depay at the time they did, but had to move because PSV wanted to sell at that particular time.

Next two weeks will calm people down who are concerned, in my opinion.

It's all well and good looking from the outside thinking he is stupid and the club is a joke, but the reality is, it's not. It's one of, if not the best run club in the world. Maybe bayern are better run?

again, nobody is ever denying our financial success, yet people keep using this to defend Woodward when his tranfer dealings are brought into question - this is called moving the goalposts.

as i mentioned here before, every single one of us laughed for years at City when they threw money around Europe and we took the moral highground on it. now, all of a sudden the same people who did that, see no issue with us being actually worse - at least they got top class talents such as the likes of Silva, Kompany, Aguero, Toure etc in the space of 2 years, we got Di Maria yet spent more.

seen as you and one other poster are the two biggest Woodward fanboys on here, can you answer me a simple question with a yes or no answer- are you happy with how the club has conducted its transfer business since April 2013?

yes or no will do and you can elaborate all you want after that.

Transfer dealings didbt start 2 days ago. It's not like they were waiting to click send at 12 o clock. They are well under way.

Well ya know what i mean when i made my original post about the transfer window been open for 2 days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

new thread coming

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement