Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Any thoughts on the rotating penalty takers?

I can see it putting extra pressure on every kick, which is hardly a good thing. Its not often you will see a club that doesn't have a designated penalty taker who keeps the job even if he misses one or two.
    I presume Mata will now stay on duty until he misses ...

11255802_10152949302227746_7876276849350515688_n.jpg?oh=368e63f1a649f1711bf976a002cae10b&oe=55DE286B

Here's hoping this chap is OK this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

gary-patterson-sweat-wipe.gif

As you were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

problem is RVP may not last much longer and Rooney has a poor record at them throughout his career. We don't have a fixture in the side that should be on them 100%, imo.

The options aren't great, no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Any thoughts on the rotating penalty takers?

I can see it putting extra pressure on every kick, which is hardly a good thing. Its not often you will see a club that doesn't have a designated penalty taker who keeps the job even if he misses one or two.

Any competent, professional footballer ought to be confident in their ability to convert a penalty. I'm not sure its inherently worse to rotate responsibility between a group of confident, capable players while they do the job and sticking with one confident, capable player regardless of him doing the job. If they're worried about the consequences of missing they shouldn't be taking them in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

gary-patterson-sweat-wipe.gif

As you were.

Worse than any cliffhanger ive watched that about 30 times wondering did they pour that water over that girls head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

irishfeen wrote: »
    I presume Mata will now stay on duty until he misses ...

Mata is pretty poor at penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

zerks wrote: »
    At least jump lads.

2880C3B800000578-0-image-a-81_1431194789362.jpg

The thing is they made be told to not jump and deflect shots by Dave.

Which we saw today and last week. He might feel he has more control over normal shots.

Continuing on my Fellaini circle jerk. He has been more important this season than de gea.

There I said it. Do one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sand wrote: »
    Any competent, professional footballer ought to be confident in their ability to convert a penalty.

I agree, though I suspect Valencia would be unsure what is expected of him if he stepped up to a penalty.

I just think its an interesting approach, some players could feel more pressure because of it, others could feel less. I wonder which camp Juan Mata falls into? He didn't look perfectly confident to me and he did miss 3 of his 4 previous penalties, it will be interesting to see his next one (though I'd still expect him to score it of course).

I agree, though I suspect Valencia would be unsure what is expected of him if he stepped up to a penalty.

I just think its an interesting approach, some players could feel more pressure because of it, others could feel less. I wonder which camp Juan Mata falls into? He didn't look perfectly confident to me and he did miss 3 of his 4 previous penalties, it will be interesting to see his next one (though I'd still expect him to score it of course).

Valencia would hit it backwards or smash it off a defenders legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Continuing on my Fellaini circle jerk. He has been more important this season than de gea.

There I said it. Do one.

I didn't realise how bad things really were until you said that.

It makes me nostalgic for the days when Berbatov's excess of talent and lack of application was the most frustrating thing about the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"I swhear, I am shcouting...."

ubveu7q.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Also embarrassing from Blind, he gets 50 grand a week and he can't take a ball to the face? I know a girl who takes balls to the face for 4 pound 50

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

That was absolutely hideously great. Three points is all that matters, thats top four wrapped up to me.
    It's depressing looking at our line up sometimes, we still need such a re-shuffle in my opinion. To be seriously challenging in Europe, the likes of Valencia Evans young fellaini shouldn't be any where near the first team. Not saying get rid of them all, fellaini is undoubtedly very useful, but LVG...

The last one has legs like a rugby player. Hooker maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Korat wrote: »
    The last one has legs like a rugby player. Hooker maybe?

Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Also embarrassing from Blind, he gets 50 grand a week and he can't take a ball to the face? I know a girl who takes balls to the face for 4 pound 50

I've heard it said that De Gea might have instructed his wall not to jump - which makes some sense as it removes some variance in that the ball cannot come *under* the wall - but Blind and De Gea were just freaking unlucky in that Blind followed instructions, and the ball skipped off Blind and into the net.

That's the second time in successive games that United have conceded goals to deflected freekicks. The team has absolutely zero luck in the last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Nah she quit that line of work months back :-)

Korat wrote: »
    I didn't realise how bad things really were until you said that.

It makes me nostalgic for the days when Berbatov's excess of talent and lack of application was the most frustrating thing about the team.

I missed the second half and only saw he scored.

Yeah things are so awful. Literally the worst. Continue your own circle jerk and I'll continue my own based on what I see rather than what I perceive or think I see.

Sand wrote: »
    I've heard it said that De Gea might have instructed his wall not to jump - which makes some sense as it removes some variance in that the ball cannot come *under* the wall - but Blind and De Gea were just freaking unlucky in that Blind followed instructions, and the ball skipped off Blind and into the net.

That's the second time in successive games that United have conceded goals to deflected freekicks. The team has absolutely zero luck in the last month.

Yeah was thinking that. Would make a shot harder to track if it got deflected.

It might be the beers hazing my memory here, but did I see Valencia put a cross in with his left foot in the second half today?!!!

It would help matters if we could stop conceding needless free kicks in dangerous positions. A leader at the back is desperately needed. It looked chaotic and panicked at times again today. I don't think I'll ever be comfortable when I see Evans, Jones or Smalling on the team sheet, nevermind all three.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

In fairness they dug deep to get a win, but players like Valencia and Evans are dragging this team down.

The first 2 to be sold in the summer hopefully.

Unfortunately Valencia is going nowhere....LVG seems to rate him highly and I reckon thinks Valencia is a top class player. I doubt Evans will be sold either unless we sign 2 CB- its a sheer numbers thing.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs that he is our first choice RB.

Great 3 points but we were shocking once Rooney and Shaw got injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Yeah was thinking that. Would make a shot harder to track if it got deflected.

If Blind kept his head up he didn't even need to jump. Shocking defending from him

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    If Blind kept his head up he didn't even need to jump. Shocking defending from him

No you don't get it. He may have been told to not jump in case it got deflected.
    Pretty reasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

We desperatly need two new CM's as well as a RB.

Never though Carrick would ever be our most important player and a highly highly rate Carrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

No you don't get it. He may have been told to not jump in case it got deflected.
    Pretty reasonable

He covers his eyes and puts his head down. If he just looks at it he gets s full header on it. Maybe didn't come across that clear on the radio becasuse you obiviously didn't see it.

None of the wall jumped so I think that was planned. However, Blind almost got out of the way of the ball, which for me, is inexcusable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Pretty reasonable

Also, he wouldn't want to ruin his fabulous hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Highlights on MOTD now.

Also, he wouldn't want to ruin his fabulous hair.

And Dave knows this. Perfectly acceptable goal to concede.

If tht was Vidal in that wall, I would be frothing at the mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

jaysis, P Neville being fairly soft on Blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see Varies papers are running with Pep to City. Bayern will be delighted, maybe they get back to playing exciting football now

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Headshot wrote: »
    I see Varies papers are running with Pep to City. Bayern will be delighted, maybe they get back to playing exciting football now

Guillem Balague said on Twitter that there isn't any truth in the Pep to City story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    It might be the beers hazing my memory here, but did I see Valencia put a cross in with his left foot in the second half today?!!!

You are correct.~

It also answered a question that had been bugging me, what would he do when left with no other option cross with his left or internally combust.

I had the latter as favorite.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Guillem Balague said on Twitter that there isn't any truth in the Pep to City story.

So its on then like Donkey Kong

You know I do hope he goes to City, so I just see the look on Balague's head. It will be bloody priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Headshot wrote: »
    You know I do hope he goes to City, so I just see the look on Balague's head. It will be bloody priceless

no it won't, he'll just say he said it was true all along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Didn't he say they was nothing in the pep to bayern stories almost right up to it being officially announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Jonny Evans doesn't look like is good enough to play in the Premier League, nevermind for Manchester United. He was absolutely atrocious again today. I hope he is cut loose in the Summer and replaced with a top quality CB. He is an absolute liability.

And so it is, we're going to crawl over the Top 4 finish line purely because it seems that no one else wants to. Bad, bad performance overall today, although the move at the end featuring a clever Falcao pass to Herrera who struck it first time to be just denied by Speroni was sexual.

Anyway, 3 points, job done. Summer can't come quick enough. I just want to mention someone who hasn't gotten a mention in a few pages; Memphis Depay, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yeah it's great looking at the Premier League table and knowing the gap between United & Liverpool is back to 7 points, and Falcao to Herrera & first time volley, Herrera should've smashed that into the back of the net, but damn it Speroni kept it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Liverpool lose tomorrow and we're officially in the Champions League next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement