Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

thelad95 wrote: »
    Liverpool lose tomorrow and we're officially in the Champions League next season.

Would a 0-0 draw do for United? Or would Liverpool have to lose by a few goals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Lithium93_ wrote: »

A draw would do it unless they win their last two games by a hat full and we lose both of ours badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Feck it, i'll be hoping for a Chelsea win tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Any sort of loss and it's a six point deficit with two games to go. If they drew, they would mathematically still be on it but all we would need is a point from the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Worst performance in the last 4 games and only game we came out with 3 points. I was not worried about performance as long as we get 3 points from this game and we did. Hopefully Chelsea finishes the job today.

On the game hard to give credit to any player bar De Gea and Young. People can talk about Young's end product all the want but he is the only player in the team who can stretch teams and provide proper width. Yesterday it was like a one man show attackingwise. His cross led to penalty, assisted goal, his shot almost ended up back in the net, created decent chance for Rooney, he created good chance for Mata but still few posted about his end product because he over hit 1 or 2 crosses with his weaker foot.

Evans is done, one time he won the ball from Zaha and in the next season he just gave it up and ended up looking like a fool. None of the defenders played well. Smalling's worst performance of the season bar City game, Valencia was atrocious.

Fellaini was **** but credit to him for scoring the goal. Passed the ball to Young and made run to the far post. Mata looked like doing something and played with urgency at the end which was bit pleasing to watch.

Also shame that Rafael is out injured. Would have been great chance for him to make his come back. Signing RB is top priority as any position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pep to City worries me, if there's one thing he can do its put the lower teams to the sword and in the premier league that means you compete for league titles

Van Gaal needs to get his shīt together this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

mcratsix wrote: »
    That was absolutely hideously great. Three points is all that matters, thats top four wrapped up to me.
    It's depressing looking at our line up sometimes, we still need such a re-shuffle in my opinion. To be seriously challenging in Europe, the likes of Valencia Evans young fellaini shouldn't be any where near the first team. Not saying get rid of them all, fellaini is undoubtedly very useful, but LVG...

Exactly. We need to bring better players in. not a hope the above would make it in the Barca or Real Madrid team possibly even the squad.

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/597282627540877312

CEn90rFWgAEEdUu.jpg

Tom McDermott
    @footballmcd
    £18m for Clyne according to some reports. Very reasonable fee imo. #mufc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Good price and makes sense. The more players in before they players return from hols, the better we will be.

In other news, #welldonefellaini

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Good price and makes sense. The more players in before they players return from hols, the better we will be.

In other news, #welldonefellaini

Not sure about that. He will be 25 this season, last year on contract and a full back. 18 Million pounds is a lot IMO. Usually fullbacks are sold for lesser price.

Also he is not very good. He is decent at best. His attacking game is underwhelming, defensively he is protected superbly by 2 very good DM/CMs. His positioning is not great either but his recovery pace is very good.

One positive is we will have 3 English players in defense if only one of Smalling or Jones starts, else all 4 will be English which is very helpful in communication.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    Any sort of loss and it's a six point deficit with two games to go. If they drew, they would mathematically still be on it but all we would need is a point from the last two games.

No, if they lose it's a 7 point gap with two games to go. If they draw it's a 6 point gap with two games to go, but Utd will have a 14 GD advantage. It's win or bust for Liverpool today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Smalling went off with cramp apparently, which is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'm starting to think one of Utds biggest problems in the next few years will be that it's an English club.

The club have no worries about financial fair play it's the quality of home grown players that France, Spain, Germany and Italy produce which Utd are obliged to have but England doesn't have enough/any of. The fact that there 4 of the wealthiest clubs in the world competing for the same small and limited talent pool just makes the situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

adox wrote: »
    Smalling went off with cramp apparently, which is good news.

Overworked covering for Valencia.

KH25 wrote: »
    Overworked covering for Valencia.

I don't think Valencia is much more than average but he is the most isolated player on the team the way the formation is configured.

The left back is usually works in tandem with Ashley Young, providing defensive cover and over-laps in attack but on the right Valencia is usually on his own. Perhaps because neither Valencia or Mata can put in a decent cross from a wide position but it is a lop-sided set-up.

LVG talks about balance a lot but his team is the most asymmetrical Utd side I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Prefer see Coleman over Clyne, average springs to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

You get -2 years with Clyne (24 v 26), and the home grown tag that the English FA are so concerned about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I'm nervous about this Clyne deal, I just don't think it's the right thing to do In terms of him being a world class right back which is what we need right now.

Getting 2 Good years of Alves would be my Preferred thing and try have a deal in place to sign Clyne on a free next summer if he is that good.

Others suggesting Gundagan is wrapped up also.
    Feck it, i'll be hoping for a Chelsea win tomorrow afternoon.

A draw should do it for us and I think that's what it will be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'd be delighted with Clyne and Gündoğan but I desperately want that CB and striker. I do not want to go another season with the same strike force again so 1st choice is needed

If Southampton were trying to sell Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Calum Chambers or Rickie Lambert this summer how much would they be worth?

Beware of Sotonians selling players.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    I'd be delighted with Clyne and Gündoğan but I desperately want that CB and striker. I do not want to go another season with the same strike force again so 1st choice is needed

Realistically we need two players for CM, it's a sheer numbers game.

Ando, Cleverly, Fletcher have all left this season and because of this, Rooney and blind have to play in there which weakens our team considerably. That can't happen next season but it will once injuries set in.

If De Jong is available on a free, we should go for him.

Hummels and Lacazette would make it a good summer.

The more I watch of Clyne the more I think we could do better for the price involved, €25 million surely there is someone better out there in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Don't think Clyne is anything special at all any time I've seen him. Anyone paid more attention think he's better than I do?

I think it's obvious too that Blind is just a decent squad player and must not be relied on as a starter at all, with Carrick's age we need a player in that position

The list seems to grow by the week, centre back, right back, two midfielders and a forward are all necessities at this stage

The age profile of our rumoured targets is very very young. Depay 21, Clyne 24, Gundagon 24, Lacazette 23.Even the likes of Hummels is only 26.

!
    Add in DDG, Herrera, Shaw, Smalling and our first 11 can be around for years With only really Carrick and Rooney to bring the experience!

The more I watch of Clyne the more I think we could do better for the price involved, €25 million surely there is someone better out there in Europe

Darmian looked superb for Italy in recent friendly Vs England. He is also linked with big clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If we are going to take a punt on a right back we might as well go for De Sciglio. He has a far higher ceiling than Clyne and is going to be very good. He's not had the best of years at Milan but that team is just a complete mess. Even now he is a better player than Clyne.

It'd much rather MDS or Carvajal than Clyne.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Darmian looked superb for Italy in recent friendly Vs England. He is also linked with big clubs.

I've only seen him play twice so have no idea if he's better than Clyne or not, the club said they'd take no less than €15 million last time he was linked with Barca, but I'd say you could haggle even further

It's seems very lazy from the club buying Clyne, unless Van Gaal really rates him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Don't think there's much of a difference but it's important to get Valencia out of RB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I know we were bad yesterday but I really do think adding in Gundogan/Carrick would have made a huge difference to our game. I also agree with Valencia being poor but that side is very unbalanced IMO. I like Mata but a wide position for him is not ideal and I don't think he will be in it next season.

It will probably one of him or Herrera at the point of a midfield three, it'll be interesting to see if we go for a striker. At the moment there is a shocking lack of service for all our strikers, I wonder if LVG feels the same and thinks it's a supply issue or the quality of the movement from the centre forward.

glued wrote: »
    If we are going to take a punt on a right back we might as well go for De Sciglio. He has a far higher ceiling than Clyne and is going to be very good. He's not had the best of years at Milan but that team is just a complete mess. Even now he is a better player than Clyne.

He's out for the season last I heard and has struggled from the high expectations put on him the last few seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

glued wrote: »

De silvestre I assume ? Was decent in Football manager a few years ago, haven't heard much about him otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

He's out for the season last I heard and has struggled from the high expectations put on him the last few seasons

He struggled at the start of the year but he has improved as the year went on. He's definitely struggled to shift the Maldini tag but he needs to get away from Milan and definitely has more ability than Clyne. The guy gets heaps of criticism because he's not Maldini. Darmain doing so well at Torino hasn't exactly helped him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

duffman13 wrote: »
    I know we were bad yesterday but I really do think adding in Gundogan/Carrick would have made a huge difference to our game. I also agree with Valencia being poor but that side is very unbalanced IMO. I like Mata but a wide position for him is not ideal and I don't think he will be in it next season.

It will probably one of him or Herrera at the point of a midfield three, it'll be interesting to see if we go for a striker. At the moment there is a shocking lack of service for all our strikers, I wonder if LVG feels the same and thinks it's a supply issue or the quality of the movement from the centre forward.

I think it is a supply issue. Falcao got in good positions but instead of passing into him, the pass goes out wide.
    Falcao did that great pass into Herrera, that is what Falcao should be getting and the same for Rooney/RVP.
    Talk we might get Falcao at a good price, wouldn't mind it all, once the players behind are passing the ball into him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Clyne has clearly been a player we have wanted a younger player then followed his progress through his career at Southampton where he has proven himself quite a capable full back.

The notion that this is a lazy purchase doesn't sit with me really. He has obviously improved from the Saints move so the club now feel he is worth going for again.

Not every player needs to be world class IMO so I'm happy enough to get him in. A big plus is that he is a natural full back not a shoe horned winger

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Time for another game of Transfer Window Bingo!

Liverpool are pushing to beat bitter rivals Manchester United to Lyon’s 27-goal superstar Alexandre Lacazette and are preparing to offload Mario Balotelli, according to reports from The Express.

Manchester United winger Angel di Maria is reportedly a loan target for Paris Saint-Germain following the signing of Memphis Depay earlier in the week. According to the Daily Mail, the president of PSG has spoken to Jorge Mendes, the Argentinean's agent, about taking the winger on loan for the upcoming season.

Louis van Gaal is reportedly planning to raid PSV Eindhoven once again, this time for skipper Georginio Wijnaldum. United sealed a move for Memphis Depay this week, and according to the Daily Express, Van Gaal is also keen to sign 24-year-old Wijnaldum.

Tottenham have slapped a £30million price tag on keeper Hugo Lloris, according to the Daily Mirror.

And the Mirror are also reporting that United are looking to pinch Thomas Muller from Bayern Munich after a touchline bust-up with manager Pep Guardiola during their Champions League clash against Barcelona on Wednesday.

Manchester United's hopes of signing Edinson Cavani have taken a massive blow after the France international reportedly agreed a deal to join Juventus.

And United's owners, the Glazer family, have ruled out a £20m-a-year deal to rename Old Trafford, according to the Daily Telegraph.

Former Manchester United man Dimitar Berbatov could be heading back to the Premier League as newly-promoted Bournemouth eye the 34-year-old to spearhead their first season in the top flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Would be delighted if we got Muller. Unlikely though.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Liverpool are pushing to beat bitter rivals Manchester United to Lyon’s 27-goal superstar Alexandre Lacazette and are preparing to offload Mario Balotelli, according to reports from The Express.

Manchester United winger Angel di Maria is reportedly a loan target for Paris Saint-Germain following the signing of Memphis Depay earlier in the week. According to the Daily Mail, the president of PSG has spoken to Jorge Mendes, the Argentinean's agent, about taking the winger on loan for the upcoming season.

Louis van Gaal is reportedly planning to raid PSV Eindhoven once again, this time for skipper Georginio Wijnaldum. United sealed a move for Memphis Depay this week, and according to the Daily Express, Van Gaal is also keen to sign 24-year-old Wijnaldum.

Tottenham have slapped a £30million price tag on keeper Hugo Lloris, according to the Daily Mirror.

And the Mirror are also reporting that United are looking to pinch Thomas Muller from Bayern Munich after a touchline bust-up with manager Pep Guardiola during their Champions League clash against Barcelona on Wednesday.

Manchester United's hopes of signing Edinson Cavani have taken a massive blow after the France international reportedly agreed a deal to join Juventus.

And United's owners, the Glazer family, have ruled out a £20m-a-year deal to rename Old Trafford, according to the Daily Telegraph.

Former Manchester United man Dimitar Berbatov could be heading back to the Premier League as newly-promoted Bournemouth eye the 34-year-old to spearhead their first season in the top flight.

£20 million a year to rename Old Trafford would be low given they get that for their training complex.
    I think they would for £50 million a year.
    Something like the Old Trafford Coca Cola Arena.

I am convinced LVG wants Muller far more than he wants Bale. Oh well, one can dream...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/Premiership/article1554341.ece

Clyne for £18 million,talks taking place for Gundongan and talks with Danny Alves.
    A lot of the article is behind a paywall so they are the highlights.

I've only seen him play twice so have no idea if he's better than Clyne or not, the club said they'd take no less than €15 million last time he was linked with Barca, but I'd say you could haggle even further

It's seems very lazy from the club buying Clyne, unless Van Gaal really rates him

Still it would be lot less than signing Clyne, saying that not sure if we can sign him though. He was linked with many clubs and more with Barca.

Edit: Clyne rejected ManUtd when he joined Southampton. We could have signed him for just 2-3 Million, now we have to pay 5 or 6 times that price.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/Premiership/article1554341.ece

Clyne for £18 million,talks taking place for Gundongan and talks with Danny Alves.
    A lot of the article is behind a paywall so they are the highlights.

I have posted the snap shot of the article in the previous page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Juve can have the France international cavani, we will just buy the Uruguay international player haha

I'd have absolutely no issue with somebody paying £20-£50million for their name to be associated with Old Trafford, if it meant even more power in the transfer market

The amount of people who have a mild heart attack though at the notion is laughable, it will always be Old Trafford no matter what's involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd have absolutely no issue with somebody paying £20-£50million for their name to be associated with Old Trafford, if it meant even more power in the transfer market

The amount of people who have a mild heart attack though at the notion is laughable, it will always be Old Trafford no matter what's involved.

Fully agree.
    Would imagine the vast majority of fans would still call it Old Trafford anyway.

Fully agree.
    Would imagine the vast majority of fans would still call it Old Trafford anyway.

It would never be allowed to happen,those parasites in MUST would cause all out anarchy if it happened or was even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Then they could sell the naming rights to the team and we could all support Red Bull Manchester. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Not sure about Clyne but most successful club teams have a core of home based players. Clyne, Smalling, Jones and Shaw could be a serious back four in 2 or 3 years time.
    Lots talk about Gundogan being a done deal. Hopefully. Wouldn't mind seeing us ave a go for Ross Barkley. Potential to be top class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Glazers have ruled it out so we won't have to worry.

The Thomas Muller story is easy to write. LVG loves him. Interest in him confirmed from last summer.
    But recent events reminds me of Toni Kroos, which ended in his sale.
    Muller was clearly angry with Pep on the sideline when subbed off.
    Last year that was Kroos, also a person said to not like Pep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

KH25 wrote: »
    Would be delighted if we got Muller. Unlikely though.

Completely agree, very unlikely but Muller in a United shirt I'd be so happy. Great player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement