Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No on campus accommodation for continuing students?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pacni

I seem to be the only one that agrees with this...

It makes perfect sense and is completely fair. The vast majority of first year students who will be looking for on-campus accommodation will be from outside of Dublin. This means that they will most likely have no experience of the housing market in Dublin nor will they know anybody else with whom they can team up to find a house. Continuing students on the other hand should already have met at least somebody who they could move in with or at the very least know where the rights places are to start looking.

I'm a continuing student and luckily have my accommodation sorted for next year but I still have memories of being a first year and living in a hostel for 3 weeks, along with several other UCD students, as there was nowhere else to live.

On-campus accommodation is the best environment to meet other students which is obviously extremely important for first years because again they will most likely not know anybody. They are also probably leaving home from the first time and need that little bit extra support in the form of the RAs and UCD Residences to help them adjust. Continuing students are old enough to know how to look after themselves.

I understand the inconvenience it puts other students at but I really see no argument against it.

In any case, the prices this year are absolutely ridiculous and I think everybody would be better off looking for somewhere off campus anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 QCS123

I think that it is fair regarding first years. I'm currently finishing first year (living at home though) and I know a lot of people who could not get campus accommodation coming in in September and it was too late for them to find alternative accommodation so either ended up commuting crazy distances for the first few months or living so far away that they were quite isolated. Especially when everything is new, they're living away from home for the first time and don't know anyone or the area I think that they should definitely be provided with priority.

However international students are also provided with priority. UCD are saying that continuing students are more "well-equipped" to find off campus accommodation - hence the reason for limiting it to first years and internationals. What makes a 3rd/4th year international unequipped to find a house when they've been living here longer than say a 2nd year Irish continuing student?

The first thought that came to mind was the fact that they do pay astronomical fees to UCD, could that be a reason? Because most house - hunting is started before the term ends so they would be able to find accommodation if they were organised.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'd agree with it to some extent but completely disagree with parts of it too.

I'd agree that second and third years shouldn't have an allocation. However third (if 3 year degree) and fourth year students along with postgrads should definitely have some portion reserved for them. It's only fair.

The cynic in me is totally convinced that this is RES trying to limit the embarrassment they face after the joke of a system they had for continuing and final year/postgrads last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I suppose it is fair enough, first years need the on-campus accommodation more that's true.

It's mentioned there that a lot of people couldn't get on campus accommodation going into first year. If people were on time to get their place on the waiting list, they would have been able to get campus accommodation, it was that simple. If somebody didn't get campus accommodation, it was likely because they weren't on the website on time to get on the waiting list. I know somebody has to end up not getting on campus, but anyone who was on time the morning the waiting list started, did get their place.

I think I heard UCD are scrapping that system for incoming first years next year tho, I think it's more of a raffle they're doing next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Some people think the Trinity halls system is pretentious but I think it's fair. This system where everyone has to get up at 6:30am and pray the website doesn't crash is outdated and inconvenient. A Google application form where candidates are narrowed down using suitability and key words would be a lot fairer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Great just great. All my course are on a year abroad and wont be back till July/August so were all depending on campus accomodation for final year

• Registered Users Posts: 13 aFunnyWorld

Welp I am an EU final year (in September) student and I don't get campus accommodation because being in Belgium on Erasmus this year makes me so much better equipped to find a place than an international student who spent the year in Dublin... /sarcasm

In any case. I am now looking for a studio or one-bedroomed apartment, any pointers for where to look? Thanks a million,

Lucie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This was the policy when I was in first year a few years ago. Seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I think the policy is kind of fair although I do think there should be some allocation for final year students.

The increase in fees is quite exorbitant though. AN increase of €1000+ for each residence is just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

Welp I am an EU final year (in September) student and I don't get campus accommodation because being in Belgium on Erasmus this year makes me so much better equipped to find a place than an international student who spent the year in Dublin... /sarcasm

In any case. I am now looking for a studio or one-bedroomed apartment, any pointers for where to look? Thanks a million,

Lucie

I'd imagine having lived in Dublin for a few years makes you fairly well equipped to find accommodation compared to a 17 year old from Gweedore or a Malaysian student coming over for a year.

You've surely heard of daft.ie, rent.ie, myhome.ie, UCD Accommodation Pad, UCDSU Accommodation Support on Facebook, 'The Ideal Flatmate Dublin' on Facebook etc. In any case a studio or one bed near UCD will be in the €1100-1400 range I'd imagine. A house share is probably the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

pacni wrote: »

It makes perfect sense and is completely fair. The vast majority of first year students who will be looking for on-campus accommodation will be from outside of Dublin. This means that they will most likely have no experience of the housing market in Dublin nor will they know anybody else with whom they can team up to find a house. Continuing students on the other hand should already have met at least somebody who they could move in with or at the very least know where the rights places are to start looking.

I don't agree with the fairness issue; campus accommodation should also be available to final years - it's a bit unfair to limit it to the one group of students whose year definitely won't be counting.

And of course, it's also being limited to international students (also, by definition, continuing students - ie only Irish and EU continuing students are being excluded for the simple reason that they don't pay exorbitant fees). The reason for jacking the price up some 18% for the second year running. The price for Merville is now up €1500 in two years, over €700 a month. Price is completely unwarranted and unfair.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I don't agree with the fairness issue; campus accommodation should also be available to final years - it's a bit unfair to limit it to the one group of students whose year definitely won't be counting.

And of course, it's also being limited to international students (also, by definition, continuing students - ie only Irish and EU continuing students are being excluded for the simple reason that they don't pay exorbitant fees). The reason for jacking the price up some 18% for the second year running. The price for Merville is now up €1500 in two years, over €700 a month. Price is completely unwarranted and unfair.

I hadn't realised the price was gone up. I won't be in UCD next year so it doesn't matter to me but the SU will have to launch something major and unprecedented about these price rises. The quality and lack of freedom of those residences with the cheapest being €700 is just ridiculous.

I know res has a great social aspect but if I was a first year coming into college I'd really rather digs if I was paying and portion of rent myself. The savings would allow you to have a far better social life.

You say this with so much bitterness. Don't you realise how much you benefit from their paying of fees? They are subsidising your college, they pay a lot more than you, and receive pretty much the same (except now they get priority in housing).

If I was Malaysian, coming over, dropping a few grand on fees and a lot on travel and accommodation, with no mates, I wouldn't want to be looking for a house share or a 1 bed flat. Second years can get together in groups and rent a house, it's way easier for them.

It's not like UCD isn't trying. I think for the last 10 or 12 years they have been near constantly investing in RES either building more, Roebuck 2 (or whatever you kids call it) only opened 3 years ago, and they're building some behind Quinn. Or renovating old res - you think it's crazy the price increase in Merville (which matches the private sector), at least Merville is nice, again a few years ago it was bleak. Metred heating, worn out furniture, broken doors, bleak bathrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

errlloyd wrote: »
    You say this with so much bitterness. Don't you realise how much you benefit from their paying of fees? They are subsidising your college, **they pay a lot more than you**, and receive pretty much the same (except now they get priority in housing).

I get that they pay a lot; does that entitle the college (or the residences) to effectively discriminate against Irish and EU students on the basis of their nationality?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rayray101

I get that they pay a lot; does that entitle the college (or the residences) to effectively discriminate against Irish and EU students on the basis of their nationality?

I agree completely with this. Is there any way we could start some sort of petition? I've been led to believe that the SU knew before the page was updated

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

It's clearly not based on nationality, it's based on ability to secure off campus accommodation, which is obviously hard to do if you live abroad.

I do think there should be some exemption made for people returning from erasmus, some people don't finish abroad until late July or August making it hard to secure accommodation.

Yes it does. You have no right to campus accommodation. UCD students need to get that entitlement out of their heads. Article 40 of the constitution doesn't say that every man resident in this state has equal right to live in Glenomena. That is ridiculous. The University allocates the resources at it's disposal in order to do as well as possible for the University. The better UCD does, the better it is for you. UCD has to attract international students or the college will go (even more) broke.

The people who pay for the gym get better opening hours, and better parking. The people who pay for Masters and Postgrads get better building access and their own study rooms.

So EVEN if the fact they pay more was the only reason they got priority I'd still be fine with it. But it's not the only reason. The other reason is they are more often than not from a different culture, and speak a different language, so they have way more risks:
    • Developing home sickness and needing UCD campus supports
    • Not having available room mates and therefore needing a one bedroom rental
    • Being generally confused by the Irish transport system and georgraphy and ending up getting accomodation not appropriate from campus
    • Being abused by Landlord's because they have no family or friends here to fall back on if **** goes wrong
    • Looking for digs places an unfair cultural burden on them
    • They face a much larger risk if they get screwed with a 12 month lease
    • Their only social supports will be on campus
    • They will genuinely struggle more in lectures because it's in a completely foreign lanaguage and will need more study time

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rayray101

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yes it does. You have no right to campus accommodation. UCD students need to get that entitlement out of their heads. Article 40 of the constitution doesn't say that every man resident in this state has equal right to live in Glenomena. That is ridiculous. The University allocates the resources at it's disposal in order to do as well as possible for the University. The better UCD does, the better it is for you. UCD has to attract international students or the college will go (even more) broke.

The people who pay for the gym get better opening hours, and better parking. The people who pay for Masters and Postgrads get better building access and their own study rooms.

So EVEN if the fact they pay more was the only reason they got priority I'd still be fine with it. But it's not the only reason. The other reason is they are more often than not from a different culture, and speak a different language, so they have way more risks:
    • Developing home sickness and needing UCD campus supports
    • Not having available room mates and therefore needing a one bedroom rental
    • Being generally confused by the Irish transport system and georgraphy and ending up getting accomodation not appropriate from campus
    • Being abused by Landlord's because they have no family or friends here to fall back on if **** goes wrong
    • Looking for digs places an unfair cultural burden on them
    • They face a much larger risk if they get screwed with a 12 month lease
    • Their only social supports will be on campus
    • They will genuinely struggle more in lectures because it's in a completely foreign lanaguage and will need more study time

You must agree that final year students at least need some priority

When I was in first year Glenomena was actually final and postgrad only res. After first years and internationals I accept final years should come next.

What is a final year though? Someone in their final year of study? Or someone who's grades count toward their final result. 3rd and 4th year of law are 50/50 - you can actually pick the modules in any order. So a final year law student and a third year law student could be the exact same. Both years count in arts?

It wouldn't really reduce the burden by much. Again back in the day they used to ban anyone from within a certain radius. I think that sort of policy is probably fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JK2015

omicron wrote: »
    It's clearly not based on nationality, it's based on ability to secure off campus accommodation, which is obviously hard to do if you live abroad.

I do think there should be some exemption made for people returning from erasmus, some people don't finish abroad until late July or August making it hard to secure accommodation.

It is based on nationality - only non-EU students are prioritised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭HistoryKitty

I am graduating this year and this still annoys me. From my experience as a student this move on UCD is entirely based on getting more money and not about the welfare of students.

For those of you saying it is fair because first years are less equipped to find accommodation, fair enough I agree too. But if you look at the figures, they only increased spaces for 1st years by about 100/200 and they've taken away 700 from continuing/final year/masters/phd students. The rest went to non-EU students. Also they've built more houses on campus this year so those extra spaces have also gone to them. These non-EU students pay hefty fees to study in UCD and that is why UCD increased spaces for them no other reason.

And yeah people who come from abroad will find it hard to find accommodation in a new country. But ask yourself why UCD chose not to allocate ANY spaces to EU students in this case.

UCD's new policy is a greedy one and I feel bad for every non-first year EU student in the place. Off campus accommodation is difficult to find, often we're turned down by landlords cause we're students. And this means EU students from abroad will most likely end up renting a place for a year instead of 9 months as 1-year leases are all we can get.

For those of you saying it is fair because first years are less equipped to find accommodation, fair enough I agree too. But if you look at the figures, they only increased spaces for 1st years by about 100/200 and they've taken away 700 from continuing/final year/masters/phd students. The rest went to non-EU students. Also they've built more houses on campus this year so those extra spaces have also gone to them. These non-EU students pay hefty fees to study in UCD and that is why UCD increased spaces for them no other reason.

There are two reasons I can think of why EU aren't getting it.

The first is that they're relatively close. So they can get cheap flights over in July and sort themselves out if they need to in advance.

The second is theyre simply third priority on a list with only room for two. The absolute priority is first years. Second priority is international, and after that they've just run out of room.

But sure I pinned my colours to the mast already. I don't think there is a problem if the only reason they get priority is because they pay more.

Btw, if it's all based on what you're paying, why is there no priority for masters students. I pay 12k to go to ucd, where's my priority.

Advertisement