Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

periodic electrical inspection course

Options
  • 08-05-2015 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

Can anyone tell me where an electrician can do a course on Periodic Electrical Inspections , which will him/her to carry out period inspections as to national rules, on existing installations. Also , cost per person, including RECI/ECSSA membership??

As far as I know this is different to the " Electrical Testing and Verification" course required if the electrician was certifying a new installation.

I tried RECI but they have no such courses planned for the near future,and are only going the "Electrical Testing and Verification" course .

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It's one of the modules on the testing and verification course

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭noddyk

It's one of the modules on the testing and verification course

Ya . . . But anywhere you can just do it on its own ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

noddyk wrote: »
    Ya . . . But anywhere you can just do it on its own ?

I doubt it, even if you could it would be pretty pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

The periodic inspection sheets are like a checklist and if followed methodically step by step they more or less bring you through the process.

Of course if your not competent at testing you'll probably struggle with it.

2011 wrote: »
    I doubt it, even if you could it would be pretty pointless.

Why would it be pointless ? Just need to train electrician on how to carry out periodic inspections . . Don't need to be certified or anything to carry out the tests . . . .just need to be a " Competent person"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Why would it be pointless ? Just need to train electrician on how to carry out periodic inspections . . Don't need to be certified or anything to carry out the tests . . . .just need to be a " Competent person"

That is not correct.
    Where are you getting this information from?

4. (2) For the purposes of section 9E(1) of the Act ‘Designated Electrical
    Works’ means

(d) the inspection, testing or certification of, or reporting on, existing
    Electrical Installations covered by Part 6 of the National Rules for
    Electrical Installations;
    in a Domestic Property.

You need the C&G qualification to carry out periodic inspections.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2013/en.si.2013.0264.pdf

^^^
    Exactly.

4. (2) For the purposes of section 9E(1) of the Act ‘Designated Electrical
    Works’ means

(d) the inspection, testing or certification of, or reporting on, existing
    Electrical Installations covered by Part 6 of the National Rules for
    Electrical Installations;
    in a Domestic Property.

You need the C&G qualification to carry out periodic inspections.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2013/en.si.2013.0264.pdf

Ya, u need to be a qualified electrician , I know that. But u don't need to have done the "test and verification" course , or need a qc number just to carry out periodic inspections.

But u don't need to have done the "test and verification" course , or need a qc number just to carry out periodic inspections.

Extract from this link:
    On successful completion of the course participants will be able to:

● Carry out the inspection and test process required for initial verification of new electrical installation work
    Conduct the inspection and testing process for periodic inspections
    ● Competently apply correct methods in completing documentation to Regulator standards
    ● Use test instruments safely and correctly
    ● Apply industry specified methods of testing electrical installations, meeting the requirements of National Rules for Electrical Installations

Have a look at the part in bold.

• Advertisement

Extract from this link:

Have a look at the part in bold.

Ya. . . . But an electrician does not HAVE to do the test and verification course to carry out periodic inspections

the Safety Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations:

“ an employer shall ensure that— (b) an existing electrical installation is tested by a competent person in an appropriate manner– (i) from time to time where required having regard to the nature, location and use of the installation,”

“(d) all defects found during the testing and inspection of an electrical installation are rectified promptly so as to prevent danger......and a report of the test is completed by the competent person carrying out the test,”

Ya. . . . But an electrician does not HAVE to do the test and verification course to carry out periodic inspections

the Safety Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations:

“ an employer shall ensure that— (b) an existing electrical installation is tested by a competent person in an appropriate manner– (i) from time to time where required having regard to the nature, location and use of the installation,”

“(d) all defects found during the testing and inspection of an electrical installation are rectified promptly so as to prevent danger......and a report of the test is completed by the competent person carrying out the test,”

Are really suggesting that because the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Legislation does not explicitly mention the Testing & Verification qualification that it is not required to carry out periodic inspections ? :eek:

That argument does not hold any water and will not work in court!
    These inspections should only be a carried out by suitable qualified personnel, remember insurance companies rely on them.

Besides the requirement for a Qualified Certifier only became a requirement on 1st July 2013.

There is nothing in the extract you posted that supports your argument.

What is a competent person?
    According to the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005, a person is deemed to be a competent person where, having regard to the task he or she is required to perform and taking account of the size or hazards (or both of them) of the undertaking or establishment in which he or she undertakes work, the person possesses sufficient training, experience and knowledge appropriate to the nature of the work to be undertaken.

You're not competent without sufficient training, i.e. having the C&G cert.

There is nothing in the extract you posted that supports your argument.

So , you think a city and guilds qualified , experienced electrician , who completes a "periodic inspections" course , is not deemed a component person to carry out periodic inspections???

You're not competent without sufficient training, i.e. having the C&G cert.

I agree with you , ya !!

So , you think a city and guilds qualified , experienced electrician , who completes a "periodic inspections" course , is not deemed a component person to carry out periodic inspections???

It is necessary to complete and pass an entire accredited Testing & Verification course. It is not advisable to take shortcuts when it comes to electrical testing / certification etc.

I agree with you , ya !!

To be clear I was referring to City & Guilds Certificate in Electrical Testing and Verification of Electrical Installations (Ireland) (2407).

see

http://cdn.cityandguilds.com/ProductDocuments/Engineering/Electrical_and_Electronic/2407/Centre_documents/2407_Certificate_Qualification_handbook_v1.pdf

Thanks for the discussion lads

Advertisement