Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strangers in the grave

Options
  • 08-05-2015 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭

Went onto the Glasnevin site on behalf of my mother in law this morning to find out where her mother is buried & I found the grave which also contains her grandparents, a grand uncle she didn't know existed (infant mortality). But there's also two seemingly unrelated to each other as well as the family men buried there.

They were buried in 1874 (first in the plot), 1894 (next in). Then the infant in 1909 & the rest of the family members thereafter.

I've attached an extract from the report (redacted the first names of the two family members). Has anyone any idea what's going on ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Graves were reused, resold, especially if it wasn't being maintained. Usually there's a longer period like 50 years before reuse occurs.

Don't rule out the possibility that they are related in a maternal line though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

When Glasnevin first opened, plot leases were, I think, for ten years. You could renew during that time and, if another family member died, you probably would; that would start the ten years running again. But if the ten years expired without renewal, the plot could be relet to someone else. It was only at a later date that the standard lease was extended to more than 10 years.

In this case it looks as if the plot was let to Flannery in 1874, then after the lease had expired it was let to Reid in 1894, then after that lease had expired it was let to Fogarty in 1909, and either that lease was for a longer period or it was renewed (or just possibly it lapsed but the plot was not relet and was still available in 1929 when the Fogarties needed another burial).

Advertisement