Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like I'm getting nowhere...

Options
  • 08-05-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

My son (3) has a significant speech delay, we are in the early intervention system, but the assessment of needs officer has been away for over a month and everything has just stopped.

He has been given hearing aids and is still waiting to see the ENT (13 months waiting)

SLT is on hold until after he sees ENT

OT have discharged him as he is within normal limits for sensory processing, previously he was way behind.

He has been waiting for a paeds appointment for 12 months.

There is no question of an ASD assessment until his hearing issue is resolved.

Everything just seems to be off tracks.

He was seen 15 months ago by the senior medical officer who was cautious of diagnosing him then, he has improved since but he is still 18 months behind his peers.

My plan of action for this week is to keep emailing the assessment of needs officer to see if I can get a review meeting. He had 5 outstanding referrals 12 months ago when I first met her and he still has 2 outstanding referrals at the moment.

Originally I was sure he was on the spectrum, but now I have no idea other than there is something wrong.

Also has anyone secured 2 years of pre school for their child, I feel this would benefit him as he loves his 2 x 4 hours stints in creche and the preschool is in the same building. The creche have told be to fight for his free year to be split into 2, but still the same amount of weeks, just spread over 2 years.

I really haven't a clue, could anyone recommend a support group for pre diagnosis kids and parents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

I'd get back onto SLT too.They probably don't realise the wait for ENT is that long. And especially as he now has hearing aids hopefully they could try therapy.But even if they dont Id ask them for advice on what you can be doing while you wait.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tishia05

I noticed there was something wrong with my 2 year old a while back. We ar only about to start the process but it took a lot of phonecalls and begging.
    Did you sign the document under disability act for kids under 5? according to that he has to be seen and all must be competed within 3 months. Time is of high importance here as we both know it( unfortunately)
    I called community nurse when got more worried. WE WENT TO SEE HER and she has referred us for speech therapist but she has also offered that community mother could come and visit . I availed of that and I'm very happy. Those ladies usually have kids with disabilities of some sort and are used to hard environments which helps. If it wasn't for community mother I would still be waiting for speech and language therapist. It's worth ( well at the end of her shift). She was able to see that DS has many autistic features.
    I know a process for your son has started bu it's still worth trying. Every month counts.
    I called a lot of places many many times and it's moving . I was waiting for audiology as well but they fit me as they had cancellation. It's worth calling to let them know that you're desperate, your child has to be seen soon, and if they could give you a call if they had a cancellation....
    When it comes to disability act your child will get advocate, a person that will check all resources in area and fight for them on his behalf and check if everything happens on time.

If I can help in any way pls contact me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Can you go ahead and get a private diagnosis to get home tuition started?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Quick update, we were called for another consultation with the senior medical officer who is also on the early intervention team and he feels that there is very little chance that my son is on the spectrum.

He feels that with the help with his hearing he should reach the standard of his peers by the time he is 5.

Though I am delighted, I feel we should get him independently tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Professor Fitzgerald is a private consultant who specializes in diagnosing autism spectrum disorders. I think his fee is a little over 300 euro. He has a clinic in Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

January wrote: »
    Professor Fitzgerald is a private consultant who specializes in diagnosing autism spectrum disorders. I think his fee is a little over 300 euro. He has a clinic in Blanchardstown.

And I believe there is a €100 discount for members of a certain Facebook page

You are right to check it out. I had many professionals tell me I was doting.

Advertisement