Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread - MOD WARNING IN FIRST POST

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Wulfie wrote: »
    And isolated those you choose to call homophobes .

I foresee a surge in attacks on gays by those you have isolated.

I have a profoundly gay son. I hope he doesn't suffer any back lash.

Enjoy your parades and beware.

EDIT: somehow I quoted the wrong post.

So you are saying No voters are being isolated by being unfairly called homophobes. These Non-homophobes are now going to backlash and attack gays..? WTF

How can one be profoundly gay? Are there different levels of gay? Does it go from "only a little bit" to "so gay they can't function"? Where does profoundly gay fit on that scale? So many questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Reading this has actually made me cry with pride, go Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I can't believe the emotions. When I have kids they will know they can choose to be whomever they want to be and nobody will judge them. People should not be frowned upon due to sexual preference. Calling everyone gay as an insult in the schoolyard may finally be over. Even as a 100% straight person I embrace change and individuality. Let there be a new tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well this is a pretty ****ing great day. The people made their choice, and we're not homophobic bigots, so I think we should feel pretty great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Early tallies across the country coming in.
    Mayo is leaning to a YES Vote 52-48%
    Western counties of Clare, Kerry, Limerick all marginally towards Yes.
    Dublin coming in at 65-75% Yes in areas of south Dublin.
    No side needed to win big in western counties to have any chance today.
    We're looking good for marriage equality !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

B0jangles wrote: »

My nomination for Perfect Song for today.

What with it being Eurovision as well, I'd nominate....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Morning all, what a great day to be gay and irish this morning, my partner of 23 LONG(lol) years has just proposed to me to get married, im over the moon thank you ireland for given us this chance to be equal in eyes of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Morning all, what a great day to be gay and irish this morning, my partner of 23 LONG(lol) years has just proposed to me to get married, im over the moon thank you ireland for given us this chance to be equal in eyes of the country.

This!!!!! This is what it was all about! Congratulations to both of you!

• Advertisement

Can we be invited? Always wanted to go to a gay wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Congrats!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Sincerely hope the final tally goes in your way. This could be a great day in modern Irish history. Just a shame I couldn't be home to help with the voting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I actually scoffed a little when reading tweets about people crying this morning following early tallies. But now this post has made me well up. Damn you.

Congratulations!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ye were always equal. We just had to update some paperwork :D

Congrats to ye both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I've just realised this morning how important this was for me. I'm not gay and I only know a couple of gay people but for me it was about how we view and treat our fellow humans. Looking at the feelings I've had this morning imagine how opposite they'd have been if it was a no.
    Happily though we don't need to worry about that and can have some more pride for our country today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Congratulations. I have a tear in my eye as I'm so happy for you... random internet stranger :D

from my 18 year old nephew who only registered to vote a few weeks ago to my mother in the depths of rural Ireland I am proud of them all for doing the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Congratulations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Hey senator Mullen, the Fifties rang, they want their prejudices back!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

I was pretty nervous that the polls leading up would be wrong, but this must be one of the best days our young country has ever seen.

Congrats to the LGBT folks, couldn't be more delighted for you!

So proud to be Irish right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Ummm guys, when can I expect Little Kiwi to be collected and placed with his new, gay parents? I'm not meaning to be pushy but would like to be able to plan the rest of my weekend! I would like to go out and celebrate with a couple of glasses of wine before I am conscripted as a surrogate and can't drink for 9 months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Wulfie wrote: »
    And isolated those you choose to call homophobes .

I foresee a surge in attacks on gays by those you have isolated.

Yeah, imagine those who attack gay people for being called homophobes... being called homophobes. You'd nearly think that was the definition of homophobe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Brilliant!! Congratulations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm assuming you said Yes? :D

Congrats. This actually made me get emotional, and I'm a cold hearted pragmatist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Will Mullen just let it go!

Dig up you fool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

im awake ......

I think you should read the posters post again.
    She said "this" irish mammy. She was speaking for herself. And then for her partner. You seem to be taking her up wrong.

eternal wrote: »
    I can't believe the emotions. When I have kids they will know they can choose to be whomever they want to be and nobody will judge them. People should not be frowned upon due to sexual preference. Calling everyone gay as an insult in the schoolyard may finally be over.

I'd be very surprised if this sees the end of bigotry, prejudice and abuse. I presume it still very much exists in countries that previously ratified gay marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Not gay but I'm fcuking delighted great day am in right form now looks like a very large amount of us in rural Ireland are not as backward as you guys in the pale think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pretty sure there are going to be more engagements this weekend than on any other weekend in history.

I'm off to find a wedding company that I can invest in...

I'd be very surprised if this sees the end of bigotry, prejudice and abuse. I presume it still very much exists in countries that previously ratified gay marriage.

I'm trying to be positive. I am saying that the sting will be gone. That people will be accepted more. There are bigots everywhere even with straight people. Why rain on the parade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dear god, I can't stand Enda Kenny. Mumbling nonsense here on RTE and looking out of his depth as usual!

It's depressing how a civil rights/equality issue has been turned into a political issue (more votes next year I suppose!) but congrats to all YES supporters. As mentioned before, didn't vote myself as I've moved constituency recently and have no stake in the issue either way but well done.

Any word on the Presidential vote?

• Advertisement

Somebody get me a bucket

You're going to cry tears of joy that you're going to need a bucket? Wow, you're a brave man to admit that.

seamus wrote: »
    Pretty sure there are going to be more engagements this weekend than on any other weekend in history.

I'm off to find a wedding company that I can invest in...

I'm actually very good at baking and decorating cakes! I might start a business since it seems there may be an issue with the supply of this product!

This made me well up. I'm so happy to be part of this country today! Huge congratulations to you both.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

David Quinn is concerned that the result may mean that the Ashers bakery thing could be repeated in the Republic.

What is he on about?

Ashers bakery broke the law.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    David Quinn is concerned that the result may mean that the Ashers bakery thing could be repeated in the Republic.

What is he on about?

Grapes are very sour in mr Quinn's house

The country is gone to f8ck

Several airports and ferry ports if you don't like it use one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I shed a tear watching the vote count. One guy spoke about how he hoped to be able to marry his partner now as a result.

Wow a yes vote and the eurovision in the same day? There's gonna be a pretty epic party around Dublin this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Im so so happy to hear this, almost elated. You have no idea how much this means to a gay teenager living in Ireland, thank you so very much to anyone who went out of their way to vote and even more so to the people who travelled thousands of miles to come home to vote. You made a lot of people very happy, thank you so much :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Tasden wrote: »
    I think you should read the posters post again.
    She said "this" irish mammy. She was speaking for herself. And then for her partner. You seem to be taking her up wrong.

No.....I can't......

• Advertisement

What is he on about?

"I'm concerned now that the Irish public have voted to treat gay people as equals, that ordinary people on the street are going to be required to treat gay people equally. Where's the room for freedom of conscience?"

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I shed a tear watching the vote count. One guy spoke about how he hoped to be able to marry his partner now as a result.

Wow a yes vote and the eurovision in the same day? There's gonna be a pretty epic party around Dublin this evening!

The whole country will be on the piss tonight. It will be one of the biggest celebrations ever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

"I'm concerned now that the Irish public have voted to treat gay people as equals, that ordinary people on the street are going to be required to treat gay people equally. Where's the room for freedom of conscience?"

Did David Quinn say that?????:confused::eek::pac:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

What is he on about?

They don't allow same sex marriage in the North anyway, do they? Clearly the issues are unrelated. Clearly to anyone but David, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tell you what, Avril Power must love House of Cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

23rd of May shall be remembered as: The May Gay Day.

• Advertisement

Did David Quinn say that?????:confused::eek::pac:
    :D

No, that's just me guessing what David Quinn is really wanting to say.

That's basically what they were saying through their campaign anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Luckily 'freedom of conscience' is tempered by the law of the land, not canon law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Tell you what, Avril Power must love House of Cards.

That's who she's reminding me of!

Can't fault her for that. HoC is excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Ummm guys, when can I expect Little Kiwi to be collected and placed with his new, gay parents? I'm not meaning to be pushy but would like to be able to plan the rest of my weekend! I would like to go out and celebrate with a couple of glasses of wine before I am conscripted as a surrogate and can't drink for 9 months!

You'll have to wait your turn, I'm still waiting for the EU storm troopers we were promised by run for the hills as part of voting yes in the last EU referendum to come and take my kids away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

wakka12 wrote: »
    Im so so happy to hear this, almost elated. You have no idea how much this means to a gay teenager living in Ireland, thank you so very much to anyone who went out of their way to vote and even more so to the people who travelled thousands of miles to come home to vote. You made a lot of people very happy, thank you so much :p

I assume you'll invite all of us yes voter internet strangers to your wedding when you're older and planning one? :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement