Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread - MOD WARNING IN FIRST POST

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Equality is a two way street buddy.

And unfortunaely it took the courts to expalin this to Ashers bakery.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

El Inho wrote: »
    But they should. German's always maintain their right to vote under the assumption they will return to their homeland.

You're always Irish. You should always have a say in your home country.

Germany doesn't have a larger diaspora than the population living in the country.
    Germany doesnt have very generous citizenship by descent laws.
    Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship, only for special cases.

The law is the law. Those non resident for 18 months or who plan to be away for 18 months are not allowed vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

eternal wrote: »
    Quit trolling the thread. You're ruining everyone's buzz here. It's a fantastic day and you're being a pure asshole.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I feel like a winner today!! The hardest No voter I met was my father. There were arguments over it last week because I was so passionate about it. I hadn't seen or spoken to him since. He told me today that I answered all his questions and he changed his mind during the week! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Germany doesn't have a larger diaspora than the population living in the country.
    Germany doesnt have very generous citizenship by laws.

The law is the law. Those non resident for 18 months or who plan to be away for 18 months are not allowed vote.

Salty much? Its a bloody fantastic day, enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Sorry.

I accept your apology. Massive hugs and everything will be ok :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Was more than a 4 hour round trip driving yesterday to vote, but I'm glad I did. The excited little faces of the Yes campaigners on nearly every street corner made it all worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

He is struggling. Not dropping the child/surrogacy red herring, but now saying main issue is the political parties did not represent enough on the no side. In other words all parties were pro yes but they should have had more no representation to proportionally reflect the No outcome.

In fairness he is not getting completely petty and going down the 'illegality' of home to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Germany doesnt have very generous citizenship by laws.

When a law is unjust it is the duty of a citizen in a republic to rebel against it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ronan talking ****e. To be expected from a ****ehawk.

What shite is the shitehawk shiteing exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Good Jesus thats beautiful....brought a wee tear(just a wee one mind you:o)

I'm sitting in the kitchen of the OH's (deceased ) grandparent's home on the outskirts of Castletownroche blubbing like a baby after reading that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great day for Ireland - loving this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He is struggling. Not dropping the child/surrogacy red herring, but now saying main issue is the political parties did not represent enough on the no side. In other words all parties were pro yes but they should have had more no representation to proportionally reflect the No outcome.

Did any members of the big parties come out on the No side. There had to be a few. Why didn't they express their views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yup, I mean obviously at least ONE of the parties should have ignored what they believed was the right thing in order to provide balance :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

sup_dude wrote: »
    I don't have sound on my laptop. Can anyone tell me what Mullen is doing?

Saying 1 in 3 voters wasn't represented by the political establishment, that the whip system isn't healthy for politics, and that we're replacing one authoritarian regime with another. Also paid tribute to the Yes campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Nodin wrote: »
    What shite is the shitehawk shiteing exactly?

Just a load of old shïte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

RobertKK wrote: »
    But if living abroad for 18 months or over they don't have a right, whether yes or no.

True, but it looks like the yes side is going to win by such a margin that anyone who travelled wrongly to vote won't make a difference to the final outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Between the yes vote and the eurovision it will be some party in the gay bars tonight

P_1 wrote: »
    When a law is unjust it is the duty of a citizen in a republic to rebel against it

The law isn't unjust. The law protects us from potentially allowing Irish citizens abroad having a bigger say in how the country is run than those of us actually living here.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Did any members of the big parties come out on the No side. There had to be a few. Why didn't they express their views.

Averil Power said some sat on the fence or didn't come out strongly because they didn't want to risk alienating their voters. They had the option of course.

Remember Monica Barnes back in the day, strongly publicly opposed her party line on Divorce and 8th Amendment. What do you think is stopping them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The wedding forum on boards better recruit some new mods

It will soon see a lot of new groomzillas

Knasher wrote: »
    True, but it looks like the yes side is going to win by such a margin that anyone who travelled wrongly to vote won't make a difference to the final outcome.

It's not what side they were going to vote for that concerns me. It's that it was happening so publicly and no politician or media source seemed to care. In fact, they were celebrating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

John McGuinness

Averil Power said some sat on the fence or didn't come out strongly because they didn't want to risk alienating their voters. They had the option of course.

Remember Monica Barnes back in the day, strongly publicly opposed her party line on Divorce and 8th Amendment. What do you think is stopping them?

Votes that's all they care about. I would have a lot more respect for them if they stood for what they believe in even if I don't agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrsbarnacles

David Norris ripping Iona Inst right now on radio. Very enjoyable. The inerview is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yup, there's bound to some of that. You are a member of a party, you toe the line or risk the fallout. However, we've seen in the past that members have gone against the party line for things they believed strongly enough about. Any "no voters" in party ranks obviously didn't feel moved strongly enough to speak out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The law isn't unjust. The law protects us from potentially allowing Irish citizens abroad having a bigger say in how the country is run than those of us actually living here.

It is, look at any other liberal democracy. They all allow a vote for emigrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well it appears that the prophetic 'silent No ' is so silent it doesn't exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

David Norris ripping Iona Inst right now on radio. Very enjoyable. The inerview is good too.

What station?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

P_1 wrote: »
    It is, look at any other liberal democracy. They all allow a vote for emigrants

And US citizens abroad still have to declare incomes and may have to pay taxes.

Are Irelands emigrants willing to pay taxation for representation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

So it turns out that the No voters WERE just a vocal minority.

Woman saying she wouldn't let her son run in the park, never mind for president :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

MrWalsh wrote: »

Exactly. and funny how they turned it around and made it feel as though the Yes side were really just a small bunch made up of only young liberals from dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm so happy I've given myself a headache. I hope the yes side is happy with themselves. I'll need a pint to soothe my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I see Eamon Gilmore has donned a pride flag

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFrtlAMWMAAtd_l.jpg

• Advertisement

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff. Wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

sup_dude wrote: »
    I see Eamon Gilmore has donned a pride flag

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFrtlAMWMAAtd_l.jpg

Fair play to him, he was one of the earliest supporters and pushers of gay rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

My daughter is so confused by all this.

"Why do we need to vote if we're not the ones getting married?"
    "Why did you put X in the box if you want to vote yes? Why not a tick?"
    "Why are you crying if you wanted it to be a yes?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Donegal and South Kerry will fall behind the rest of us :D any chance we could break them off and let them float away?
    Both Donegal constituencies voting Yes

Votes that's all they care about. I would have a lot more respect for them if they stood for what they believe in even if I don't agree with it.
    Bacchus wrote: »
    Yup, there's bound to some of that. You are a member of a party, you toe the line or risk the fallout. However, we've seen in the past that members have gone against the party line for things they believed strongly enough about. Any "no voters" in party ranks obviously didn't feel moved strongly enough to speak out.

Definitely, more of a mercenary move not coming out against it if anyone felt that strongly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Dear Ireland,

You are amazing.

That is all.

Fcuking fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

J_E wrote: »
    Fair play to him, he was one of the earliest supporters and pushers of gay rights.

I feel like taking a flag around with me for my run around the roads :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Not surprised at all with the way this is going. Glad to see it, it feels pretty good doesn't it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Limerick City coming out strongly in favour , never doubted the old home town :)

MrWalsh wrote: »

Still about 35-40 voted no so it not that much of a minority. For me the Yes vote were a lot more vocal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

Yahoo! So proud of this little country today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

so glad I voted NO. Listening to alan ****ter mehall martin, Moan Burton etc saying how great we are, same arseholes screw us every chance they get, so glad to say i didn't vote the same as them. (I'm glad the ref was passed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭KeithWoodshead

Big C wrote: »
    so glad I voted NO. Listening to alan ****ter mehall martin, Moan Burton etc saying how great we are, same arseholes screw us every chance they get, so glad to say i didn't vote the same as them. (I'm glad the ref was passed)

What a stupid reason to vote no on a social issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Big C wrote: »

:???:
    How would you have felt if it didn't pass?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement