Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread - MOD WARNING IN FIRST POST

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Big C wrote: »
    so glad I voted NO. Listening to alan ****ter mehall martin, Moan Burton etc saying how great we are, same arseholes screw us every chance they get, so glad to say i didn't vote the same as them. (I'm glad the ref was passed)

The expression "cutting off your nose to spite your face" is unfamiliar to you, I take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Big C wrote: »
    so glad I voted NO. Listening to alan ****ter mehall martin, Moan Burton etc saying how great we are, same arseholes screw us every chance they get, so glad to say i didn't vote the same as them. (I'm glad the ref was passed)

So glad to say I didn't vote the same as people like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

niallo27 wrote: »
    Still about 35-40 voted no so it not that much of a minority. For me the Yes vote were a lot more vocal.

Don't forget that thats 35-40% of turnout only. Between yes votes and people who didn't vote the No voters are in a significant minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

I'm hetrosexual. I emigrated from Ireland several years back and likely won't live there again.

I've not been involved with this really at all, yet am sitting here emotional as fcuk and practically sobbing with happiness for my beautiful wee country. So, so proud of Ireland today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It was never in doubt from the moment the campaign started. Still, you can understand why people were anxious. Well done to all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

It doesn't really affect me personally and yet I am delighted and so proud of my fellow citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What are we discussing next week?

Back to Irish water? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Don't forget that thats 35-40% of turnout only. Between yes votes and people who didn't vote the No voters are in a significant minority.

Why would you assume everyone that didn't vote was a yes voter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I feel the timing was very poor. It came far too late for our Eurovision chances
    Goodnight Vienna :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I didn't. But they weren't a No vote either.

So out of Yes votes and didn't votes and No votes, No votes are in a significant minority. It's pretty simple stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Surely nobody would assume that, since anyone who didn't vote wasn't a voter at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Whatever side they were on they obviously didn't see it as important enough to get out and vote. No point crying about it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

mikemac1 wrote: »
    What are we discussing next week?

Back to Irish water? :(

Seperating the church and state would be the next referendum I would like to see.

The outcome of this referendum will damage the church. A lot of yes voters are Christians ( possibly not practicing however)
    Might as well keep pushing now.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Whatever side they were on they obviously didn't see it as important enough to get out and vote. No point crying about it now.

I'm not crying about it. I have nothing to do with the No crowd. I was responding to the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I feel so proud to have been a part of the yes campaign, even though it was only in a very small way. I am also delighted that my son knows that we were part of it, and I can be certain that he knows that if he ever needs to tell us that he is gay, that it will be no more of an issue than it would be if he told us he prefers lasange over stew for dinner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I feel so proud to have been a part of the yes campaign, even though it was only in a very small way. I am also delighted that my son knows that we were part of it, and I can be certain that he knows that if he ever needs to tell us that he is gay, that it will be no more of an issue than if he told us he prefers lasagne rather than stew for dinner!

What's wrong with lasagna :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Because those most likely not to vote in the referendum(younger, liberal, urban) were also most likely to vote yes in the referendum if they did vote.

Old people, rural people and more conservative people are known for their high turnout rates in the polls.

Also there was a certain level of complacency on the yes side, many people who are supportive of gay marriage assumed it would pass and Im sure a good number didn't make it to the poll because of this assumption. This was a scary thought but the yes side strongly campaigned to limit the amount of complacency on our parts, and it seems to have helped!

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I didn't. But they weren't a No vote either.

So out of Yes votes and didn't votes and No votes, No votes are in a significant minority. It's pretty simple stuff!

If you wanted to be pedantic about it you could say between the No vote and people that didn't vote the Yes vote is the Vocal minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Any logical no voter would've known it was a waste of energy going to vote as there was zero chance they could win regardless. Same could apply to some yes voters obviously. Silly to assume all people who didn't vote were on the yes side however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

wakka12 wrote: »
    Because those most likely not to vote in the referendum(younger, liberal, urban) were also most likely to vote yes in the referendum if they did vote.

Old people, rural people and more conservative people are known for their high turnout rates in the polls.

This doesn't seem to hold up though, the turnout in some of the more conservative, rural areas appears to have been quite low.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Any news on those exit polls since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I've no problem with old people voting no. They may think, rightly or wrongly, that their society is destroying itself. But young people, some of my friends, that vote no can suck a fat dick..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

It was so warm in bed this morning, I thought; "The No side were right, the world is on fire!". Turns out it was just really really sunny.

Anyone know when god is sending the hurricanes/ earthquakes/ locusts/ whatever else? Because apparently, that's what causes natural disasters in the USA. (gays)

The Yes side won agus, tá an ghrian ag taitneamh - nil aon scamall sa speir. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Glorious day today. The sun is shining here in Dublin. I said to a very religious member of my family, who may have voted no although I hope not, "it doesn't look like the heavens are weeping."

:)

I've no problem with old people voting no. They may think, rightly or wrongly, that their society is destroying itself. But young people, some of my friends, that vote no can suck a fat dick..

Old at heart?

ronivek wrote: »

Hot dogs vs kebabs, if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Check out #tallytweets raw data from the counts being constantly added

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

David Norris ripping Iona Inst right now on radio. Very enjoyable. The inerview is good too.

Is this the same David Norris who defended a statutary rapist?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Old at heart?

The...children thing.. I don't really know..

^ an actual response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Its distinctly lacking in carbs in comparison...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Nothing at all, that's the point! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I presume that is towards the female of the species. Not sure that too many no voting males would be inclined to indulge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It was so warm in bed this morning, I thought; "The No side were right, the world is on fire!". Turns out it was just really really sunny.

Anyone know when god is sending the hurricanes/ earthquakes/ locusts/ whatever else? Because apparently, that's what causes natural disasters in the USA. (gays)

The Yes side won agus, tá an ghrian ag taitneamh - nil aon scamall sa speir. :D

It's fire and brimstone. And based on this lovely weather we're obviously skating on thin ice! Prepare for His vengeance when it becomes official. :pac:

The main reason that some people voted No:

Conservatives* (No voters) will try their best to retard society, digging in their heels every chance they get. I blame the Daily Mail.

* Social conservatives (for the pedants)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hermy wrote: »

Christ the redeemer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Hermy wrote: »

The same David Norris that said he would like to have been 'befriended' by an older man when he was growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

I'm delighted. Some absolute idiots voting no for the wrong reasons on here, and then the bigots who didn't think it would be a yes. Eat it, fools. Today is a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I just wish that the media would stop referring to the Iona institute and refer to it as its registered company name. It would sort out a lot of the confusion associated with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I don't get why people who voted no are being branded idiots, Was the same if they put up vote no on social media they where shot down right away but nobody seemed to care if was other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

traprunner wrote: »
    I just wish that the media would stop referring to the Iona institute and refer to it as its registered company name. It would sort out a lot of the confusion associated with it.

Bolek Ltd?

galljga1 wrote: »
    I presume that is towards the female of the species. Not sure that too many no voting males would be inclined to indulge.

Usually, the loudest voices in anti-gay groups tend to be gay themselves.

Anti-LGBT vicar Matthew Makela resigns after being found on Grindr gay dating app.

In short, many of the men on the No side want to 'suck a dick', but like R Kelly, T Cruise and J Travolta, they're stuck in the closet:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The same David Norris that said he would like to have been 'befriended' by an older man when he was growing up.

I would have really liked to have been 'befriended' by an older woman when I was growing up. Only difference I see is orientation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

So how long do people recon it will be before Iona or the like raise a constitutional challenge to the referendum, to try to hold it up for as long as possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

bmcc10 wrote: »
    I don't get why people who voted no are being branded idiots, Was the same if they put up vote no on social media they where shot down right away but nobody seemed to care if was other way around.

That's funny, because you could also say that it was those who posted a No vote who were the ones spreading misinformation, sniping at others, and going on about victimhood while harassing other voters. You can say the above about either side, no point generalising.

Put it this way, you wouldn't have heard the No side singing for love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

blacklilly wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for your contribution
    was never going to be close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The people who didn't vote don't count. That's why the Yes and No campaigns both urged their followers to vote. If you were entitled and able to vote and chose not to exercise it, your opinion does not matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

What a sea change this country has gone through. Delighted!

Apparently we need a serious war to kill off the gays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

bmcc10 wrote: »

Because nobody who voted no had any valid arguments for voting no, so they were shot down with good reason. Views can only be treated equal if both views exist for any valid reason thats not solly based on hatred

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement