Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread - MOD WARNING IN FIRST POST

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Usually, the loudest voices in anti-gay groups tend to be gay themselves.

Anti-LGBT vicar Matthew Makela resigns after being found on Grindr gay dating app.

In short, many of the men on the No side want to 'suck a dick', but like R Kelly, T Cruise and J Travolta, they're stuck in the closet:

/QUOTE]

Please let it be David Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

How adorable is this?

https://twitter.com/Stephanenny/status/602054231697313792

I'm not there with you in person, but Ireland you have truly created such a better future for our country's children. Thank you, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

matrim wrote: »
    So how long do people recon it will be before Iona or the like raise a constitutional challenge to the referendum, to try to hold it up for as long as possible?

Let them at it. They'll make themselves look like even bigger fools than they already do, not that it would deter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

wakka12 wrote: »
    Because those most likely not to vote in the referendum(younger, liberal, urban) were also most likely to vote yes in the referendum if they did vote.

Old people, rural people and more conservative people are known for their high turnout rates in the polls.

Also there was a certain level of complacency on the yes side, many people who are supportive of gay marriage assumed it would pass and Im sure a good number didn't make it to the poll because of this assumption. This was a scary thought but the yes side strongly campaigned to limit the amount of complacency on our parts, and it seems to have helped!

As a person who didn't vote, I can confirm that I was their to be won the yes side and to be perfectly honest they failed. I would never vote no as I didn't really think that they had a valid point.

So I decided to let people make the decision for me as I can't vote without 100% behind.

I know some people see this as being selfish which I'd love to know why?
    If you can't fully stand behind a vote in your mind you have every right not to vote as you are willing accept whatever outcome happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

So do I leave my children at the front gate, or will the gays knock on the door when they come to take them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Teatro wrote: »
    If my understanding of the Bible is correct Christians should have a big problem with this.

Your understanding is wrong, but you are not alone in your misunderstanding!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Both the yes and no side have some people guilty of not only being idiots but absolute kunts, it's not the first time and it won't be the last time a small minority from opposing sides in a referendum can't handle different people having different opinions and views. It's like this in every country, look at how much worse Americans are during their upcoming presidential elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mountaingoats

Days I've felr a deep surge of pride to be Irish:
    - Croke Park - Ireland v England in rugby
    - Queens visit
    - Today

So proud of the people of Ireland ! Living up to our friendly reputation to all people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

JamboMac wrote: »
    As a person who didn't vote, I can confirm that I was their to be won the yes side and to be perfectly honest they failed. I would never vote no as I didn't really think that they had a valid point.

So I decided to let people make the decision for me as I can't vote without 100% behind.

If you can't fully stand behind a vote in your mind you have every right not to vote as you are willing accept whatever outcome happens.

Why not form your own opinion based on the facts?

• Advertisement

You're choice but personally, I cannot understand how you wouldn't be 100% behind this. 51% would do it for me as I believe in voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

One of Pat Mustard's young wans......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Well done Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

matrim wrote: »
    So how long do people recon it will be before Iona or the like raise a constitutional challenge to the referendum, to try to hold it up for as long as possible?

I don't think they will, it would look very petty when popular vote was overwhelmingly yes. It would be a risky move that would backfire with people seeing them as sore losers clutching at straws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Both the yes and no side have some people guilty of not only being idiots but absolute kunts, it's not the first time and it won't be the last time a small minority from opposing sides in a referendum can't handle different people having different opinions and views. It's like this in every country, look at how much worse Americans are during their upcoming presidential elections.

The yes side did what was needed to be done as we've seen today. It wasn't bullying , the YES side used logic , good arguments and put all they had into campaigning. Which is more than can be said for the No side who put up posters to misinform and feeds lies to the public, some of the No groups were also very offensive and abusive towards the lgbt community. If anyone needs to apologise after this referendum its not the Yes side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

It's one thing handling people having another view to you. Another altogether when they have different basic rights to you and those views are going to make sure of it.

But that's all behind us now :D:D:D So unbelievably relieved, happy and proud of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

It is crazy how close it is considering the high % of yes votes that were given in the independent surveys. I knew of course it would be like this, as not as many will actually vote. People really need to get out and use their vote in this country, so many young people who have strong views on this but just can't be bothered to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I mean that would be fair enough in a general election, where you don't want to support any candidate or party, but in a referendum?

It's an either or situation. Everyone is bound to have a preference one way or the other, even if it's not something you feel affects you directly, the fact is that it will affect many others and will be enshrined in the constitution.

It's your right to choose not to vote though at the end of the day. Personally I think everyone eligible and able should vote in referendums because of their importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Selfishly, I am so happy for my 2 primary school kids, it is a relief to know that in the event they are gay or lesbian, they will have equal status in the constitution of Ireland, and a chance to marry.

A brilliant day for Ireland.

I have no worries about surrogacy, family issues, the children.

I simply trust that gay and lesbian people who wish to start a family are as morally and humanely good as heterosexual people.
    They will (and do already) face the same very grave decisions that some heterosexual couples face to start a family, and then, raise a family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

miralize wrote: »
    Why not form your own opinion based on the facts?

I watched all those debates on rte to try and see the actual facts but in reality they weren't clear.

I heard stuff like if people vote no it means my country doesn't love me and that makes no real sense to me.

Everybody who voted either way saw it clearly me and a lot of people mustn't have.

Out of population of 3 million voters how many actually voted?

I watched all those debates on rte to try and see the actual facts but in reality they weren't clear.

I heard stuff like if people vote no it means my country doesn't love me and that makes no real sense to me.

Everybody who voted either way saw it clearly me and a lot of people mustn't have.

Not sure yet but not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Turnout for voting in the referendum is heading for historic levels, so a shit load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

VinLieger wrote: »
    I heard yesterday 80% was predicted for tipp
    The voting card had 3 options
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Michael Lowry
    Lowry won by a landslide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

A very good result for the yes side, I was on the verge of voting no because of the arguments made by the no side re; parenting issues etc but voted yes because I would not want to deny anyone the happiness (or misery;)) of married life.
    We should expect a mini economic boom as result of the yes vote, hotels, churches, halls, photographers, florists etc will all be happy with a plethora of extra weddings this summer and next..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I don't think people went so far as to say "if people vote no it means my country doesn't love me". What I feel is that people on the no side think this is some sort of football match where one side wins and they shake hands at the end of the day and there's no hard feelings. And the 'warm congratulations' the likes of David Quinn and MAFM have been giving only confirms that belief. Their lives are no different today as they were yesterday.

Yet for myself, and the tens/hundreds of thousands of gay people in Ireland, a no vote would have been devastating. As Rory O'Neill/Panti said recently, it's essentially telling these people "this is as far as our respect for you goes". IE- Fair play you've come this far, but no further. It's an awful feeling to contemplate had this been a no vote.
    And yet today, I feel complete elation. Because Irish people have turned out in the largest referendum this country has ever seen to show us that there isn't a limit to their respect for us. I mean this is literally a country in which homosexuality was a criminal offence in the 90s. It's just unbelievable. This isn't just a win for gay people, it's a win for everyone. As my cousin texted me this morning he can rest easy knowing that should his 3 year old son come out in the future, he'll be no different to anybody else's child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

The people who didn't vote don't count. That's why the Yes and No campaigns both urged their followers to vote. If you were entitled and able to vote and chose not to exercise it, your opinion does not matter.
    Some just couldn't but most just don't care, which is also a statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Thanks be to fuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I'm so proud to be Irish today.

For the posters who have been around here a few years and are saying this is one of the greatest days in history etc. etc.

Can anyone point to their first post where they identified it as a Really Big Deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

PLL wrote: »
    It is crazy how close it is considering the high % of yes votes that were given in the independent surveys.
    except it isn't close at all

Mods: Thread needs a reboot. Fast approaching 10,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Top story on bbc and sky news, front page of cnn.com, our little Island making headlines for all the right reasons.

I've got something in my eye.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm so proud to be Irish today.

Genuinely I've never been prouder. I expected to be after this passed, but I didn't expect to feel as happy as I do.

Reading some of the stuff being written on international news sites is actually bringing tears to my eyes. People often have negative things to say about this country, but what we did here speaks volumes for what sort of a society we now are.

New York Times - “I think this is a moment that rebrands Ireland to a lot of folks around the world as a country not stuck in tradition but that has an inclusive tradition,” said Ty Cobb, the international director of the Human Rights Campaign, a Washington-based advocacy group.

Bloomberg - "Ireland “is an example for the rest of the world,” said Frank La Rue, director of the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Europe, in Florence, Italy"

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭KeithWoodshead

For the posters who have been around here a few years and are saying this is one of the greatest days in history etc. etc.

Can anyone point to their first post where they identified it as a Really Big Deal?

Didn't take long for the begrudgery and cynicism to begin :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Ah come off it. Look around you man, there's no denying this is a great day for the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Top story on bbc and sky news, front page of cnn.com, our little Island making headlines for all the right reasons.

I've got something in my eye.....

Has to be a big boost to tourism as well to be news around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I know I couldn't.
    I couldn't identify the "moment" it became a really big deal imo, just the same as I couldn't identify the moment or post when child protection, or say, racism/race/discrimination issues, or abortion became really big deals for me.

I don't see your point if there is one, maybe you're just being curious.

I think as you grow, some issues become more important to you, without necessarily having an epiphany moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Genuinely I've never been prouder. I expected to be after this passed, but I didn't expect to feel as happy as I do.

Reading some of the stuff being written on international news sites is actually bringing tears to my eyes. People often have negative things to say about this country, but what we did here speaks volumes for what sort of a society we now are.

New York Times - “I think this is a moment that rebrands Ireland to a lot of folks around the world as a country not stuck in tradition but that has an inclusive tradition,” said Ty Cobb, the international director of the Human Rights Campaign, a Washington-based advocacy group.

Bloomberg - "Ireland “is an example for the rest of the world,” said Frank La Rue, director of the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Europe, in Florence, Italy"

And what are we all going to do, go out and get ****en hammered. Some traditions never change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I don't normally subscribe to patriotism (I was born here, whatever you know?) but I'm so, so proud of our little country. I was walking down O'Connell street the other day and the Love Choir were singing cheesy love songs and some old lad was shouting bull analogies (two bulls can't get married--why should two men, etc.) and some druggie was dancing like a mad yolk in front of the choir, and the whole thing was so peculiar.

But then the Love Choir got louder and drowned the No side out. And then #hometovote happened and my brothers texted to say they were voting Yes and Jesus, I was getting teary-eyed on the Luas. And now it's looking like a bit of a landslide and for a country who only decriminalised gay people 20 years ago, it's really all so extraordinary.

That was a bit of a rant but I'm delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

John Waters, Rónán Mullen, Breda O'Brien, Paddy Manning, Bruce Arnold, we have beaten them all, we have beaten them all. David Quinn, can you hear me? Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!

This is pretty much how I feel. I so hoped it would be a yes, but as it doesn't affect me directly didn't expect to feel even nearly as proud, happy and overwhelmed as I am. A truly great day for Ireland, and frankly, the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Any word from Paddy Manning?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

wakka12 wrote: »
    The yes side did what was needed to be done as we've seen today. It wasn't bullying , the YES side used logic , good arguments and put all they had into campaigning. Which is more than can be said for the No side who put up posters to misinform and feeds lies to the public, some of the No groups were also very offensive and abusive towards the lgbt community. If anyone needs to apologise after this referendum its not the Yes side.

The majority of the yes side, yes. But you're kidding yourself if you think there weren't also some yes voters that took part in being abusive towards the no voters. That was the point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Like that time he asked Dil Wickramasinghe (sp?) "who's the father?"

He didn't, and Dil only made a fuss, months after the tweet - she had not been named, Dil made it an issue at the start of the referendum campaign. She likes attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The end is nigh.

I know I couldn't.
    I couldn't identify the "moment" it became a really big deal imo, just the same as I couldn't identify the moment or post when child protection, or say, racism, or abortion became really big deals for me.

I don't see your point if there is one, maybe you're just being curious.

I think as you grow, some issues become more important to you, without necessarily having an epiphany moment.

I can honestly say I was always anti racist and since my late teens pro abortion.

I was always appalled by the criminalisation of homosexuality too.

The fact that homosexuals are now allowed a few more rights than pertained under Civil Partnerships, which were introduced in 2010 when no one really knew that this was the Really Big Deal of our time, just isn't that big an issue to me. I voted yes in the end, after leaning to no, but tossed a coin and yes came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Didn't take long for the begrudgery and cynicism to begin :rolleyes:

Methinks Iona is in the house. Look for the Iona thread that started today :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

myshirt wrote: »
    The end is nigh.

Sure isn't it always nigh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement