Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread - MOD WARNING IN FIRST POST

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

First official tally in from Dublin Northwest- 70.3% Yes vote.
    That's Leo Varadkar's constituency

niallo27 wrote: »
    Has to be a big boost to tourism as well to be news around the world.

Mother of Jesus.

Lads, can we reign in the hyperbole and the faked crying and the "it's greater than the Peace Process. 1916 and the reforms of the Land League put together".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

El Weirdo wrote: »
    John Waters, Rónán Mullen, Breda O'Brien, Paddy Manning, Bruce Arnold, we have beaten them all, we have beaten them all. David Quinn, can you hear me? Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!

Wasn't hard, the full might of the state backing it, from all political parties, the gardai, IDA, multinationals, media, celebs, sports personalities, millions of foreign money.
    It was not hard to win, given how lob sided the support was.

Congrats to Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

This is pretty much how I feel. I so hoped it would be a yes, but as it doesn't affect me directly didn't expect to feel even nearly as proud, happy and overwhelmed as I am. A truly great day for Ireland, and frankly, the world.

+1

Wasn't expecting to be anything other than feeling fairly happy, but I'm genuinely ecstatic and so, so proud of our country.

This result has really changed even my own views of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

This day is a better day than I ever could have dreamed of. Feeling so happy and proud, and, it has to be said, a little smug for myself.

The electorate of my home country voted bigotry and exclusion into law a little while ago.

The electorate of my adopted country voted equality and inclusion into their constitution yesterday.

Wow. Did I (with no help from any crystal ball available) all those years ago, choose well, or

- did I choose fcuking fantastic?! :D

So, this is how it feels being in the right place at the right time, for once. :cool:

Thank you, Ireland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ A happy immigrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Does this not mean that Charlize Theron can now marry someone? I am available. I believe she is on boards.ie ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Mother of Jesus.

Lads, can we reign in the hyperbole and the faked crying and the "it's greater than the Peace Process. 1916 and the reforms of the Land League put together".

Resentment is an ugly thing to show :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

RobertKK wrote: »
    Wasn't hard, the full might of the state backing it, from all political parties, the gardai, IDA, multinationals, media, celebs, sports personalities, millions of foreign money.

Congrats to Yes.

Are you confused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

This show's global twitter conversations about Ireland's same sex marriage referendum (based on geotagged tweets):

https://twitterdata.cartodb.com/viz/75b67788-00ab-11e5-aa1f-7054d21a95e5/embed_map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Congrats to Yes.

I wonder why so many were backing a Yes vote :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Anita Blow wrote: »

My constituency too, good one Dublin 15🙌

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Congrats to Yes.
    It's handy to be up against a crew of illogical bigots and fantasists as well. These days people just laugh/facepalm at their antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Congrats to Yes.

Yeah, all against an historically extremely religious country. I do wonder what the results would have been in the far bigger but apparently more "equal" United Kingdom :p

Mother of Jesus.

The peace process was the greatest in recent times given over 3,000 people had died and this ended it, and international the fall of the Berlin wall and freedom to people behind the iron curtain was probably the greatest thing in the past 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Congrats to Yes.
    You forgot the most important backer:

Basic human decency and compassion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Mother of Jesus.

I am not fake crying or anything like that kid but to have ireland on the news all over the world has to be good for tourism. How can you think its not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Conor74, did you seriously have a toss, of a coin, in the end?

Resentment is an ugly thing to show :)

There is a vast range of reaction between resenting the result and thinking it the greatest day in the history of mankind.

Like mine, indifference, and a suspicion that some of the more extreme reaction is a bit...faked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Congrats to Yes.

lob it into me boss.

myshirt wrote: »
    Conor74, did you seriously have a toss, of a coin, in the end?

Yeah. Told my wife I would, was voting with her, she saw me flip it...so kinda felt I had to when the ballot paper was in front of me and I still didn't really care that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

There is a vast range of reaction between resenting the result and thinking it the greatest day in the history of mankind.

Like mine, indifference, and a suspicion that some of the more extreme reaction is a bit...faked.

It's definitely a significant day depending on your true thoughts. While there may not be the spectacle of a war ending or such, it has a potentially very positive ripple effect. Again depending on your views as to just how equal all women, men and all humans are.

Christ on a bicycle.

fr336 wrote: »
    Yeah, all against an historically extremely religious country. I do wonder what the results would have been in the far bigger but apparently more "equal" United Kingdom :p

Ireland is not extremely religious now though, lots of people say they are Catholic, far less practice it. Even a gay Yes voter on Sky News I think it was, said he came from Australia to vote Yes, and he called himself an a la carte Catholic.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I am not fake crying or anything like that kid but to have ireland on the news all over the world has to be good for tourism. How can you think its not good.

Again, there is a gulf between saying it's not good for tourism and saying it's a big boost.

I never said it would be bad. How many will it tack on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Congrats to Yes.

Once you pare all that down though you are looking at the guts of 1.5 million Irish citizens recognising that no matter what part of the spectrum you find yourself on, you are equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Because Irish people have turned out in the largest referendum this country has ever seen

yes and no :)

Largest amount of people who voted but it will finish below EEC vote decades ago which had over 70% turnout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I agree with some of the fake stuff but how you think me thinking its good for tourism is the same as comparing it to the 1916 rising is full on crazy **** bonkers from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Yeah. Told my wife I would, was voting with her, she saw me flip it...so kinda felt I had to when the ballot paper was in front of me and I still didn't really care that much.

I like stories

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Yes. If the turnout is more than 30% I will gladly eat my hat at Irelands first gay wedding. If its less you have to donate 10 euro to the Iona institute. :)
    Shall efb provide the hat or will you?
    :pac:

• Advertisement

Christ on a bicycle.

I should fake hysteria I guess.

Like so many others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

the ballot paper was in front of me and I still didn't really care that much.

Great to have the comfort of not caring and it not affecting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

If you don't care then why are you on Boards talking about it so much? At least 2 different threads that I've seen so far. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Breda O'Brien on the radio just now:

"Who's going to speak for the 35%?"

"I was afraid of getting involved in this campaign"

"I had a rough year, I was called a homophobe"

No Breda, you're far, far worse than a homophobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

VinLieger wrote: »
    How can you be profoundly gay? Its pretty much a binary state you are or you arent???

No, it's on a scale.

In reality very few of us are 100% hetero- or 100% homosexual.

When Wolfie says "profoundly" though I suspect he just means that his son does more than just wear a bit of concealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Congrats to Yes.

I wonder why the support was so lob sided?

Maybe because the majority of people involved positively in our society saw the merits of a 'Yes' vote and didn't buy into the scaremongering and at times pure fantasy of the 'No' campaigners?

I'm actually happy it turned out this way; most countries just enacted legislation but this way the Irish people got to say 'Yes' to homosexuals in a way that no other nation has ever done.

And that was despite a vile hate-filled campaign devoid of any evidence or fact and based entirely on trying to pick at the fears and prejudices that simmer beneath the surface of quite a few people in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

JamboMac wrote: »
    As a person who didn't vote, I can confirm that I was their to be won the yes side and to be perfectly honest they failed. I would never vote no as I didn't really think that they had a valid point.

So I decided to let people make the decision for me as I can't vote without 100% behind.

I know some people see this as being selfish which I'd love to know why?
    If you can't fully stand behind a vote in your mind you have every right not to vote as you are willing accept whatever outcome happens.

Not voting is a No vote. It wasn't the most complex issue. Was the polling station far away?

Come on K4T, that is outrageous.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

First result confirmed for north Dublin 71% yes

Huge turnout too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

And yet you are here being the agitator on what is a proud moment for a lot of people. Putting down a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Seems accurate

She went on to say that the result raises a "very big question for representative democracy in Ireland" and wants to know who will represent those who voted No.

Local homophobe doesn't understand the concept of representative democracy, shocker

• Advertisement

K4t wrote: »

The bronchitis seems to have cleared up in a timely fashion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You forgot the most important backer:

Basic human decency and compassion.
    I can be a cynical fuq, but the above is my one and only reason for voting yes and for being so elated at the outcome - a significant part of the society that I'm also part of, is no longer restricted in terms of committing themselves to the person they love and setting up a home and life with them. It's strange to be all suspicious of people who view this as an immensely positive thing, and of the joy it brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

She's playing the victim, again. She's just a [expletive].

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I can be a cynical fuq, but the above is my one and only reason for voting yes and for being so elated at the outcome - a significant part of the society that I'm also part of, is no longer restricted in terms of committing themselves to the person they love and setting up a home and life with them. It's strange to be all suspicious of people who view this as an immensely positive thing, and of the joy it brings.

Yeah, I'm as cynical as it gets, but it's all been so heart-warming. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Notice how she has made it all about her she is a self centred ignorant homphobe who cares nought for what anyone else thinks as long as she gets her way.

Shes had a tough year has she? Irish homosexuals have had a tough LIFE up until today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Stheno wrote: »
    First result confirmed for north Dublin 71% yes

Huge turnout too

Not at all shocked, privileged to hail from one of the more tolerant and enlightened parts of this fair isle.

100% Yes vote in the tally for Finglas West. Holy Jeebus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I have resisted the urge to call a number of obvious posters homophobe but there can be no denying that Breda O'Brien is a homophobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Congrats to Yes.
    It was lopsided Robert because for so many people this was simply a case of: lifting the restrictions on people - just ordinary human beings like you and I and our families and friends - building a life together with the person they love, that's all.
    Appreciate the congrats. This won't damage society, all of the positive values you celebrate (many of which I'm sure I agree with you on) will remain.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Varadkar is Dublin West. Dublin North West is the Finglas/Ballymun area. Róisin Shortall, John Lyons and Dessie Ellis are the TDs. Also, my constituency :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement