Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone advise please

Options
  • 08-05-2015 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I have a tree fern that seems to be in need of some TLC and since I am not a gardener and do not really know what to do for the best. It has been in the same pot for approx 12 years and does not get fed in any way. It was originally in a South facing garden in the UK but has been in Dublin for the last 10 months. It was not protected over the winter and a lot of the damage to the leaves seems to have been caused by wind

I was thinking of planting it in the garden but do not know if soil type is ok, whether it needs shelter etc.

So any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tree%20Fern_zpsjlxhfsqq.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

That's a palm - Trachycarpus fortunei - more so than a tree fern in case you're looking it up. They need different conditions...

It looks ok to be honest and I think there is a new leaf coming out which us a good sign. They are fairly hardy so I wouldn't worry about that issue unless you are at altitude. Wind is only an issue in so far as the leaves can get tatty.

They like normal or free draining soil, almost any type.

So, you could repot it just one size up and feed with a slow release fertiliser, or plant in the garden. Personally I'd keep it in a pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

lk67 wrote: »
    That's a palm - Trachycarpus fortunei - more so than a tree fern in case you're looking it up. They need different conditions...

It looks ok to be honest and I think there is a new leaf coming out which us a good sign. They are fairly hardy so I wouldn't worry about that issue unless you are at altitude. Wind is only an issue in so far as the leaves can get tatty.

They like normal or free draining soil, almost any type.

So, you could repot it just one size up and feed with a slow release fertiliser, or plant in the garden. Personally I'd keep it in a pot.

Thanks very much for this. Very useful info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Chinese Wind Palm and I would consider them very hardy. Some books will refer to them as the only genuine Palm tree which can be grown in The British Isles.

They are tough and the leaves come and go, you need to cut and remove the yellowing leaves as the new ones emerge to keep neat. It's a tree which can develop great height and girth. I planted one almost 15 years ago, it is now almost 5 m tall. It is planted in its own air space, and the leather like leaves create a great fan shape head with wonderful rusting sounds even in the gentles of breezes.

The trunk is very interesting and the stubs of the remove branches must be sawn off.

Keep in pot if you wish to grow as a dwarf specimen, but they are hugely impressive when grown as a specimen tree in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Agree with all of the above. Have several of them in the garden. Tough as old boots generally but like all of us they appreciate a little tlc from time to time :) A free draining, sheltered spot is best, with as much sun as you can give them. Feed lightly and keep the old foliage trimmed. They don't make great neighbours I think. They need space to show off their own leaves and if they're too close to other plants those same leaves and stems are very jagged and will shred others.
    Lovely plant though and can make a great feature.

(some extra links https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/18291/i-Trachycarpus-fortunei-i/Details

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3343534/How-to-grow-Chusan-palm.html

)

Advertisement