Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Started new dog food -> eye discharge?

• 08-05-2015 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

I switched from Barking Heads to ZooPlus's Greenwoods dry food. Dogs are doing great on the new food except for one problem. We have tried the Turkey and Fish flavours but on the Lamb they have started to get a slight (clear) discharge at the corners of their eyes.

Greenwoods would have more grains than Barking Heads if that is the problem. Or I am wondering if it's the Lamb flavour only.

Does anyone else get this eye discharge from their food? Could it cause problems down the line or is this normal/acceptable?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭shaymus27

Hi OP,

I don't know anything about those foods.

My thoughts are - Could it be co-incidental ? i.e. is it possible that the eye discharge has nothing to do with the food but is an eye infection or other type of infection that has spread? Try looking under their bottom eyelid - the tissue should be pink not flaming red. Hard to do unless you have the knack of doing this.

Could it be a seasonal allergy thing? but then all dogs would have to suffer from the same allergy.

It's possible they are all allergic to wheat or some grain in the lamb food but I would imagine the lamb has the same grains as the turkey and fish and yet they don't get the discharge from eating those. I hardly think all the dogs are allergic to lamb. Examine the ingredients of the lamb vs. the turkey and fish feeds and see what exactly is the difference. It's possible if you gave the turkey and fish ones first that it took a little time to build up, but I don't know enough to say this with certainty.

You could go back to barking heads if they never had a problem with this.

Allergies and infections can cause discharge in the eye. It could be a virus.

My own dog had an allergy to wheat and pollen and got clear discharge which the vets weren't worried about but I was.

You might bring your dogs to the vet if the discharge remains. I would be more worried with a greeny/yellow discharge but I would ask a vet for peace of mind with any discharge. Sorry for not being more definitive. If in doubt ask a good vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Yeah the ingredients, other than meat, in all 3 flavours are the same. For some reason the Lamb seems to be causing runny eyes.

Or if its a reaction to something in the food it may have built up over a few months.

Anyways just finished the last bag of Greenwoods so decided to go back to Barking Heads.

Its always a hassle changing foods.

Advertisement