Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Direct Labour Build Cost 2015

• 08-05-2015 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

Recently got planning for 2200sq ft 1.5 story house. Got in contact with builder who priced the house at 260,000 which is way over our budget.
    Under the builders advice, and for our own savings, are now going to go direct labour and are in process of finding certified engineer that is willing to sign off (apparently not easy found since new regs came in) think we have one hunted down.

Looking for guide prices for the project if we are going direct labour - thinking around the €220,000 mark would be more realistic? Anyone any thoughts?

Also, does anyone have any idea of the trend of building material prices - friends of ours have built bigger houses for half the price just last year and it's frustrating to think we are spending way over the mark by building this year. Any sign of costs to come down??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No, costs are set to go up, not down. You have to bear in mind they've been artificially depressed for the last 5+ years.

I won't say you can't build it for €220,000k, but I personally don't think it's enough. I don't think 'direct labour' in the traditional sense is an option for cost-saving, now that everyone has to certify everything.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe anyone telling me they built for 'half-price', last year or any other. They're either trying to impress you or just plain lost track of how much they've actually spent.

Sorry !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rossie1987

Thanks for the reply, good to hear feedback even if it wasnt a good forecast for building prices. Do you know why building costs are rising upwards so much, heard it was due to the sterling value going up but you wouldn't know what to believe!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

rossie1987 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, good to hear feedback even if it wasnt a good forecast for building prices. Do you know why building costs are rising upwards so much, heard it was due to the sterling value going up but you wouldn't know what to believe!

Supply and demand.

The construction industry is making a slight comeback. Prices will rise over the next few years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

rossie1987 wrote: »
    Hi,

Recently got planning for 2200sq ft 1.5 story house. Got in contact with builder who priced the house at 260,000 which is way over our budget.
    Under the builders advice, and for our own savings, are now going to go direct labour and are in process of finding certified engineer that is willing to sign off (apparently not easy found since new regs came in) think we have one hunted down.

Looking for guide prices for the project if we are going direct labour - thinking around the €220,000 mark would be more realistic? Anyone any thoughts?

Also, does anyone have any idea of the trend of building material prices - friends of ours have built bigger houses for half the price just last year and it's frustrating to think we are spending way over the mark by building this year. Any sign of costs to come down??

Thanks in advance
    Rosie have you considered reducing your m2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not only size, but simplify details. Full or half hip roofs, bay wishes, fussy dormers. All add cost.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement