Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with a dog

Options
  • 08-05-2015 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I will be looking for a rented house (family) in a few months and we are considering getting a dog in the next few weeks. Has anyone any experience of trying to rent with a dog? does it put landlords off?
    Experiences needed before i decide to get a dog.
    thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I would have said a dog would be very off-putting for a Landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CD8ED

It's hard to get a place with a dog, but daft.ie have a pet allowed filter. Use this and hope for the best. Good luck with the search buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

its hard to get a decent rental even without a dog. Don't do it. My advice to anyone renting is do not get a pet, it makes things very very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

A no pets clause seems to be common in a lot of lease agreements. You could be limited you choice of places by having a pet. I would wait until I have found a place before I consider getting a pet.

In the current climate where people are queuing up for places to rent I don't see why any Landlord would allow pets, particularly if they are kept in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

We are living in a very difficult market for renters at the moment. Any thing that imbues risk is to be avoided at all costs. Unfortunately Landlords see pets and dogs in particular as trouble and potential causes of damage, noise, annoyed neighbours, public order risks etc. and will rent to a non-pet person instead.

In the context of short term leases, < 1 yr, the landlord feels obliged to obliterate all evidence of a dog as many renters do not like dog hairs, damage etc on the property when they come to rent. Such redecoration and repair costs money.Same applies to smokers and people involved in potentially messy trades where there is a risk of soilage or damage. A landlord will readily rent to a professional or clerical worker in preference to a builder or garage worker and will refuse students if there is a risk of parties and late night rowdiness.

As a single young man I remember colleagues of mine having a hard time getting house shares because of the reputation of our workplace for rowdy parties and boisterous lifestyle while the local teachers and bankers etc had no problem picking up house shares. Some occupations have a worse reputation than others in the eyes of landlords and SW recipients worst of all.

It is best to keep as much info to yourself when renting and be as vague as possible about job etc to avoid discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mate was going to move in with his GF (only GF in hte house, and rent was increasing). Mate has a dog. GF's LL said dog would have to stay outside, so mate didn't move in with the GF. Mates GF has since left said house.

LL's want dogs to stay outside. But bored dogs will bark outside. And thus neighbours complain to landlord, and landlord brings in a "no dogs" rule for the next tenant.

As such, don't get a dog if renting. Perhaps get something fluffy that lives in a cage?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MikeCairo78

I have been renting with dog in four different homes in last few years. We were up front and had clause inserted into agreement in respect of the same. We have used same letting agent for each rental which was in our favour. Doable but if I had choice I wouldn't get dog (this was choice of other half) as it does severely limit options. Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

As a landlord and a dog owner, I would definitely not rent to anyone with a pet - cat or dog. As a puppy, our dog chewed on the couch, on a side table, on the skirting board, on the rug - do you get where I am coming from? Why would a landlord want to risk that kind of damage? The average deposit is not going to cover it, and even if it did, who wants the hassle?

To the poster to advised you to wait until after you move in - as most leases likely have a no pets clause, this is a recipe for eviction

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

Thanks all, Much appreciated and as I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Not fair on dogs this attitude of landlords.

Could provide an option of an increased deposit for potential dog related damage to accommodate dog owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Could provide an option of an increased deposit for potential dog related damage to accommodate dog owners.

It's a landlord's market. If you have two potential tenants and they're the same except one has a dog, why go out of your way to accommodate the dog?

It's a landlord's market. If you have two potential tenants and they're the same except one has a dog, why go out of your way to accommodate the dog?

Because I like dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Because I like dogs.

And it's the landlord 's property. They can let it to whoever they want to. It's not unfair, it's how it is

athtrasna wrote: »
    And it's the landlord 's property. They can let it to whoever they want to. It's not unfair, it's how it is

A hypothetical question was asked of me, to put myself in the shoes of a landlord. Why would I go out of my way as a landlord to a dog owner.

And that is my answer. Because I like dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Because I like dogs.

Me too. If I was a LL though, no chance. Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

A hypothetical question was asked of me, to put myself in the shoes of a landlord. Why would I go out of my way as a landlord to a dog owner.

And that is my answer. Because I like dogs.

You're not living there though - you are however responsible for the state of the property if and when that dog owner leaves and you are faced with presenting the property to new tenants.
    You then must have the place deep cleaned, possibly upgrade/change furniture, repaint, potentially have to change carpets if any accidents have occurred etc.

It is not the same level* of handover as those who do not have pets.

*assumption is made that this is a normal tenancy, not a troublesome one with excess damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Miramar

Firstly I am a landlord and secondly I am a dog lover........
    But recently my love of dogs has been tested.....
    I have, absolutely no problem with anyone who rents a property and has a dog but they must also respect the landlord and his/her rented property.....

Beware all landlords of a female who travels around the country and has a large amount of very large dogs and some smaller dogs also, some similar breeds and other mixed breeds....
    This person will act all nice and plausible, says that they have one or two dogs and then subsequently moves in with up to 18 dogs into your property along with themselves, destroying the whole inside of the house, dogs living in Absolute Squalor, hoarding and housing dogs and rubbish, using your property as an indoor kennel and allowing dogs to defalcate and wee everywhere upstairs and downstairs, destroying furniture and fittings, not allowing a landlord to inspect the property after numerous requests as per a rental contract.........
    Squats in a property for months without paying any rent whatsoever......
    BEWARE........ BEWARE........... BEWARE......

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Bit OT but a dog pooped in the lift in our apartment at the weekend. The owners kindly left it for someone else to clean (found at 9am and still there when I reported it to management at 2pm) The caretaker cleaned it but it was still pretty bad

The stench is unreal in the lift. We're also moving out and I personally had to sterilse the lift floor. Not a hope we were putting out bags/boxes on that floor

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour and dogs should definitely not be kept in apartments.

If this is the behaviour of some I can see exactly why cats/dogs are not allowed. The landlord I'm sure will be getting a phone call from the management company. Why would anyone want that hassle

Big trouble for the tenant if he didn't mention the dog before signing the lease

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Bit OT but a dog pooped in the lift in our apartment at the weekend. The owners kindly left it for someone else to clean (found at 9am and still there when I reported it to management at 2pm) The caretaker cleaned it but it was still pretty bad

The stench is unreal in the lift. We're also moving out and I personally had to sterilse the lift floor. Not a hope we were putting out bags/boxes on that floor

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour and dogs should definitely not be kept in apartments.

If this is the behaviour of some I can see exactly why cats/dogs are not allowed. The landlord I'm sure will be getting a phone call from the management company. Why would anyone want that hassle

Big trouble for the tenant if he didn't mention the dog before signing the lease

Some people are worse than animals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Most places wont allow pets. I'm in a similar situation where me and my girlfriend want to get a cat although will probably be a few years before we do.

Best thing to do is wait until you have lived in a place for awhile and ask the LL if it would be ok offering a larger deposit amount (could even make it non returned to cover the cost of getting the place properly cleaned when you leave). I wouldnt get a pet if you plan on moving soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

So, when are you buying a buy-to-let for frustrated dog owners?
    Thay way you can be fair to dogs ffs.

OP - dont get the dog if you are renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

I've never understood the attitudes of landlords in Ireland about tenants with pets. Put a clause in the lease where the tenant accepts responsibility for replacing or repairing anything that the pet might damage, or take a separate pet deposit which is a common thing in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Ive lived in 3 places that accepted dogs ( I have 2 )

I never had issues and always got my deposit back when leaving.

As you have a few months, Look around

BlueFairy wrote: »
    I've never understood the attitudes of landlords in Ireland about tenants with pets. Put a clause in the lease where the tenant accepts responsibility for replacing or repairing anything that the pet might damage, or take a separate pet deposit which is a common thing in other countries.

Or don't accept tenants with pets.

Or don't accept tenants with pets.

The same with Rent Supplement, Cant be taking any chances, should we, Same with Kids

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    The same with Rent Supplement, Cant be taking any chances, should we, Same with Kids

Landlords' property, landlords' call

Landlords' property, landlords' call

I agree. Ive had dogs with no issues, I think renting with dogs is easier then people think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's very common in a lot of other countries to have dogs/cats in apartments, I think the problem with Ireland is landlords providing all the furniture/furnishings compared to other places where everything will belong to the tenant, so any damage from the pets is only going to cost the tenants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

It's very common in a lot of other countries to have dogs/cats in apartments, I think the problem with Ireland is landlords providing all the furniture/furnishings compared to other places where everything will belong to the tenant, so any damage from the pets is only going to cost the tenants

I think you have hit the nail on the head there in that Irish rental properties are typically furnished which is not the norm certainly within the majority of the EU.

As much as I like animals myself I would also certainly side with an Irish LL here though, I know first hand what carnage they can cause on house furnishings!

Advertisement