Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with a dog

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's very common in a lot of other countries to have dogs/cats in apartments, I think the problem with Ireland is landlords providing all the furniture/furnishings compared to other places where everything will belong to the tenant, so any damage from the pets is only going to cost the tenants

It's also very common for pets to be banned in Irish apartment developments, meaning landlords have no choice. High density living in Irish builds is not compatible with pet ownership.

Get a rescue dog that's a little older. More likely to be somewhat house trained and unlikely to chew things. I live in an apartment and have a rescue dog. The landlord asked on day one if we had one (we didn't at the time) and said it was fine if we wanted one. He loves dogs himself. We considered it for a while. I desperately wanted one as I've always had dogs around but my partner was worried about a pup chewing up all the LLs furniture. So we adopted a young dog (just under 1 year) who was over the dreaded chewing phase. We have never had one ounce of trouble with her in the apartment and the LL adores her! We are in the latter stages of buying a house now and will be leaving the apartment in the same pristine condition we found it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Get a rescue dog that's a little older. More likely to be somewhat house trained and unlikely to chew things. I live in an apartment and have a rescue dog. The landlord asked on day one if we had one (we didn't at the time) and said it was fine if we wanted one. He loves dogs himself. We considered it for a while. I desperately wanted one as I've always had dogs around but my partner was worried about a pup chewing up all the LLs furniture. So we adopted a young dog (just under 1 year) who was over the dreaded chewing phase. We have never had one ounce of trouble with her in the apartment and the LL adores her! We are in the latter stages of buying a house now and will be leaving the apartment in the same pristine condition we found it in.

We also have a very accommodating landlord. We didn't have a dog when we moved in but asked him before we signed the lease if it would be OK to get one later in the year and he had no problem. Our dog has done some damage to a disused TV cable in the back garden but that's about it and will be made right before we leave.

Advertisement