Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child's foot turning in.

Options
  • 08-05-2015 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hello, just something I noticed in the last week with my child. She's 21 months now but she's still bum shuffling but cruising along furniture and getting a lot stronger on her feet. I noticed her left foot turns in when she's up on her feet. It's very noticeable when she's wearing shoes. I brought her to the GP who referred her to the paediatrician but I still haven't got an appointment for her yet. I got her fitted for new pre walkers today. I suppose I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance and if any one else encountered this issue with their child. Did it sort itself out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

My public health nurse spotted this on my baby at the three month check up. Waiting on a physio appointment but she told me to keep rubbing something along the outside of the foot anytime I can to encourage it to turn itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Good spot by the PHN. I think she has only developed it in the last few weeks as I'm hoping that I would have noticed it before then. My sister pointed out that she shuffles more on her right side so is probably dragging her foot a bit. I'm just hoping she'll get up on her feet soon and it'll sort itself out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

I don't know if this is any reassurance for you, but I had this as a toddler and it sorted itself out as I grew :)

I don't know if this is any reassurance for you, but I had this as a toddler and it sorted itself out as I grew :)

Were you a bum shuffler too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Were you a bum shuffler too?

Occasionally then I started walking gingerly and ditched bum shuffling altogether

• Advertisement

Occasionally then I started walking gingerly and ditched bum shuffling altogether

I'm glad you're ok now. Hopefully it'll just fix itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

We had a bum shuffler, used her right leg to shuffle so her left was dead weight! Didn't pull to standing til 19 months and only started walking at 22 months.

Her right foot was turned in, it was from the way she had shuffled. Having not used her left leg the muscle mass on it was about half that of her right, which obviously affected walking.

At 26 months I brought her to a podiatrist as her ankles looked like they were caving in, as in she was almost walking on them! They prescribed orthotics and supportive shoes, we used them for 6 months and no problems now at all

She was slower to walk, complained about it being sore but it did slowly rectify itself. The foot turning was only an issue until she was fully walking, once she walked more than shuffled the foot did correct itself.

Keep an eye on it, whenever she cruised and her foot turned we made a point of turning it, but like I said it sorted itself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My little girl had this at birth. The paediatrician noticed it when she was getting her full check over the day after she was born. In her case it was caused by the position she was curled up in in the womb but he said in some cases it could be indicative of a hip issue. Like another poster we were told to rub the outside of her foot to encourage it to turn out. By the 6 check it was gone and her hips were fine. I'd definitely go see either a gp, phn or a paediatric Physio and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

@rentdayblues our 26onth old has a slight turn in his left foot. Just curious where you went for the shoes? Would love some good advice and supportive footwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

My little girl was born with turned in feet. She was sent to a physio when she was about 2, but physio said everything was fine.

Just had some exercises to do with her and also very important that she wears good supporting shoes. I notice now at 3.5 if she is wearing cheap shoes to match a dress or something it will still turn slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Immy wrote: »
    My little girl was born with turned in feet. She was sent to a physio when she was about 2, but physio said everything was fine.

Just had some exercises to do with her and also very important that she wears good supporting shoes. I notice now at 3.5 if she is wearing cheap shoes to match a dress or something it will still turn slightly.

Immy, what constitutes a good supporting shoe? Do you buy from a particular brand?

yellow hen wrote: »
    Immy, what constitutes a good supporting shoe? Do you buy from a particular brand?

I have heard Pablosky shoes recommended by paediatricians quite a bit. I suppose good soles and good support at the back are important. They are expensive. The nearest stockists to me is a 2 hour round trip but I must get up in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'm a physio myself! Good shoes typically will have rigid soles and sides, just to keep the foot in place and stop it turning in. Shoes with fabric or flimsy sides, like children's converse should be avoided. As has been said, just rub the outer side of the foot to encourage her to use the muscle that pulls it up and out. Do activities in standing with her because the standing/walking will help develop her muscle strength and flexibility. If she's cruising, it's good to place something else like a chair or bench a small distance from the couch and encourage her to walk between the two. Or placing obstacles on the ground and getting her to walk over them with your support.

The majority of the time it's simply down to children developing at different rates. When they hit about 12-18 months, children typically diverge in terms of what skills they focus on developing. Some focus on the main gross movements like walking and standing, while others focus on finer movements like playing with toys. The GP will have the best advice for you and will be best placed to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'm a physio myself! Good shoes typically will have rigid soles and sides, just to keep the foot in place and stop it turning in. Shoes with fabric or flimsy sides, like children's converse should be avoided. As has been said, just rub the outer side of the foot to encourage her to use the muscle that pulls it up and out. Do activities in standing with her because the standing/walking will help develop her muscle strength and flexibility. If she's cruising, it's good to place something else like a chair or bench a small distance from the couch and encourage her to walk between the two. Or placing obstacles on the ground and getting her to walk over them with your support.

The majority of the time it's simply down to children developing at different rates. When they hit about 12-18 months, children typically diverge in terms of what skills they focus on developing. Some focus on the main gross movements like walking and standing, while others focus on finer movements like playing with toys. The GP will have the best advice for you and will be best placed to help!

@rentdayblues our 26onth old has a slight turn in his left foot. Just curious where you went for the shoes? Would love some good advice and supportive footwear.

Strangely enough when we went to get her othotics fitted she was wearing a pair of runners from heatons which the podiatrist said were actually perfect! They had thick soles and high backs which perfectly cupped her ankle! I was expecting to have to go buy new expensive shoes but he said to stick with the ones we had.

When I buy new shoes now I just look for a high structured back, so far she's doing really well

Thanks all for the great advice and sharing your experiences. It has eased my mind a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son is very flat footed which he inherited from me. I was buying shoes from Cripps but a colleague recommended polish shoes as they've got built in orthotics. We've bought two pairs so far and I'm very happy with the quality. They're cheaper than Clarks so we can even have two pairs at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ash2007

My son is very flat footed which he inherited from me. I was buying shoes from Cripps but a colleague recommended polish shoes as they've got built in orthotics. We've bought two pairs so far and I'm very happy with the quality. They're cheaper than Clarks so we can even have two pairs at a time.

hi , what are polish shoes? where did you get them? thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here but I though the most recent guidelines from the society of podiatrists was that babies/toddlers/young children should not wear restrictive footwear as little feet need freedom to move and grow naturally and that barefoot was best? Obviously when barefoot isn't an option (like walking outside on the street) I read that a barefoot shoe brand is best....

Soooky wrote: »
    I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here but I though the most recent guidelines from the society of podiatrists was that babies/toddlers/young children should not wear restrictive footwear as little feet need freedom to move and grow naturally and that barefoot was best? Obviously when barefoot isn't an option (like walking outside on the street) I read that a barefoot shoe brand is best....

My children never wear shoes in the house, only outdoors. But as they get older the time of outdoors vs indoors is significantly in favour of out so no footwear is not an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

As already mention it's about support. Physio told me they should be flexible but your shouldn't be able to bend them in half and then the ankles should be supported. My little girl was in Lelli Kellies the day we were in and they were fine, So brand really not important more the type of shoe. Physio recommend Start Right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My 3 year old has a slight turn in his feet, as did I at that age. The pediatrician recommended shoes with good support. Also, she recommended letting him walk/run barefoot in the sand on the beach, as that strengthens the muscles! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I had this as a child, then they just put my shoes on the opposite feet for a few hours a day. My son had this too, stay away from clarks, they're rubbish for high arched feet. Pablosky are what our ortho Dr recommended. They have an inbuilt arch support. See if you can get boots, ones with a good strap on the ankle. 3 months in them and my sons foot was perfect.
    Your phn should be able to sort out a physio through your local health clinic, they can assess the turn and then refer you on if needed, might be a bit quicker than a gp?

Advertisement