Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue Audit in June.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Hi Jarvis,

I have gone back through my records and sent on anything (receipts) extra that I found. My accountant has staff doing exams at the moment so they are a bit slow getting back to me but all seems ok on both sides. I have to be available the week before for any questions that may arise.

It's not until June 3rd. I want it to be over!!

Will report back when it is over.

At least you are preparing for it. The last thing an auditor wants to see is someone who hasn't bothered to prepare. Just ensure your records are in order and all original supporting documentation is available on the day to back up your returns. Any anomalies or errors discovered should be included in a valid disclosure on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

Think everything is ready - will know for sure next week ��

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 BattleReady

Good Luck with it. Nerve racking stuff. I went through it myself about 3 years ago.

Thanks BattleReady, dreading it but will be over by this time next week!!

Does it take long for them to get back to you - am sure there is nothing they can find that is owed to them but just don't know what they pick up on.

They were fairly nice during the audit, but I was shaking like a leaf offering them tea and biscuits.

thought that was it, but they asked for a lot of followup information and took over a month for them to finally send out a letter to say the audit had been closed.

You'll be ok once your accountant has gone through everything and he/says you are good.

it's still a relief to get that letter though

• Advertisement

A month �� I didn't think it would take that length!!!

My accountant warned me to give yes no answers and not to be nice - that's not me, I'm just not like that.

Here's hoping all will be sorted in a month so!

My accountant warned me to give yes no answers and not to be nice - that's not me, I'm just not like that.

A month I didn't think it would take that length!!!

Here's hoping all will be sorted in a month so!

Got exactly the same advice, it's very hard to do though, I was the same.

It might not take that long if they are happy with everything.

Fingers crossed.

It's good to know that others have been through it - and that it wasn't THAT bad.

Things have really picked up since I got the letter aswell!

So its over ��
    Seemed to go ok - could answer everything and was told they will contact me in due course....hoping that's a good sign!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

So its over ��
    Seemed to go ok - could answer everything and was told they will contact me in due course....hoping that's a good sign!!

Yep. I think you would be having quite a different conversation if there was something amiss.

Best Regards

Dbran

• Advertisement

Thanks Dbran - it was over in an hour but I won't relax until I get the reply. It's a huge weight off me.

Glad to hear it went well. Good luck with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Thanks Dbran - it was over in an hour but I won't relax until I get the reply. It's a huge weight off me.

Great stuff, well done!

Thanks JMR - and thanks for your advice too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Random audits DO happen.

It is a sort of control measure against the targeted REAP audits.

It would be ridiculous if REAP was the only method really. People can file on time, have regular and similar income and so on. So they would not appear on REAP

But some could be hiding something!

Randoms are there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Random audits DO happen.

It is a sort of control measure against the targeted REAP audits.

It would be ridiculous if REAP was the only method really. People can file on time, have regular and similar income and so on. So they would not appear on REAP

But some could be hiding something!

Randoms are there for a reason.

Do you have a source for this opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this opinion?

Its in the code of practice.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitioner/code-of-practice-revenue-audit.pdf

The objectives of the Random Audit Programme are to measure and track compliance with tax legislation, to act as an indicator of the effectiveness of Revenue’s risk based approachand to provide for the possibility that all taxpayers may be selected for a Revenue Audit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

They do happen but are only about 5% of the total audits carried out by revenue. So you could be very unlucky and be part of the 5% or more likely you have sent in something that has come to revenues attention.

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

dbran wrote: »
    Hi

They do happen but are only about 5% of the total audits carried out by revenue. So you could be very unlucky and be part of the 5% or more likely you have sent in something that has come to revenues attention.

dbran

Yes thats the Code of Practice, have you ever seen a random audit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Yes thats the Code of Practice, have you ever seen a random audit?

awkward much?

• Advertisement
Advertisement