Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Keg, confused about equipment required

Options
  • 08-05-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm looking to make the move to kegging rather thank washing and steralising 60 bottles everytime I make a batch. Here's what I think I need to buy to get up and runnning, could someone take a look and point me in the right direction? Maybe suggest where I might make some savings if possible?
    Quick Disconnect OUT €9 - I'm assuming I can hook up the beer line assembly to the corny without this, but what's the advangtage of having a quick disconnect?
    Quick Disconnect IN €9 - As above, does it just make the process easier or is it essential?
    Poppet valve assemby for ball-lock connector €14 - No idea what this does, or does it come with the corny above?

AND

CO2 (Dual Gauge) Regulator €55
    Some form of gas tank - where do I get one? How much would I expect to pay? (Guessing €40 + fill it for €10 a go)

OR

CO2 Charger €40
    CO2 Cartridge 16g (Pack of 5) €9
    I'm guessing with the above, I won't be able to tell how much gas is in the keg and it will be trial and error until I get the right carbonation for each batch?

So total cost;
    €182 + €10 every few batches
    OR
    €142 + €9 a go for a pack of 5 of those wee CO2 cans. Guessing this is an inferior option seeing as I can't tell the pressure of the tank.

Can anyone offer some advice on getting set up? Am I missing anything? Anywhere I can but these bits cheaper?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Kegs should have poppet valves installed already. I'd get a 6kg Co2 tank from Aj edge in Bray (if you're close), it'll last forever I think I paid forty quid for a full cylinder with tap. Tenner refill. You need a line running from the regulator to the gas in as well. Also, there was a lad selling regulators for 35 on adverts, might be worth a look.

Do you have a fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

Edwardius wrote: »
    Kegs should have poppet valves installed already. I'd get a 6kg Co2 tank from Aj edge in Bray (if you're close), it'll last forever I think I paid forty quid for a full cylinder with tap. Tenner refill. You need a line running from the regulator to the gas in as well. Also, there was a lad selling regulators for 35 on adverts, might be worth a look.

Do you have a fridge?
    Thanks for the info, yeah I've been hearing about AJ Edge a lot, they're not too far from me so that's what I'll do. Any idea if they're open at the weekend?

Also, no, I don't have a fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

EmmetF wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, yeah I've been hearing about AJ Edge a lot, they're not too far from me so that's what I'll do. Any idea if they're open at the weekend?

No, and not after 3pm on Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are Corny kegs solid walled? would a water/ice bath crash chill the beer for in time cooling?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

I think so, I got a couple a few weeks ago and I'm 99% sure they're solid. The thing about cooling them is that I understand it's easier \ faster to carbonate them if they're chilled, so if you have time etc then it could work?

also, this link http://www.morebeer.com/themes/morewinepro/kegging.pdf has some handy info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement