Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Security Number

Options
  • 08-05-2015 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'll be in America for the summer, do I need a social security number in order to open a bank account over there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

You will need to do your research to find one, for example Wells Fargo certainly require one: https://apply.wellsfargo.com/common_auth_start

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

homer911 wrote: »
    You will need to do your research to find one, for example Wells Fargo certainly require one: https://apply.wellsfargo.com/common_auth_start

I have multiple accounts with Wells Fargo and opened them before I had my SSN. OP, are you going to be in the US on a visa? If so, you should be able to open a Wells Fargo bank account. You'll just need to provide your passport and visa which they will copy. That's what I did and it was no problem at all, I just couldn't have a credit card because I wasn't a permanent resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, are you going over on a J1? If you are, you can apply for a SSN. Bring your passport into the nearest Dept of Social Security Administration and apply for one. Your employer will need it pay you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, are you going over on a J1? If you are, you can apply for a SSN. Bring your passport into the nearest Dept of Social Security Administration and apply for one. Your employer will need it pay you.

Ish.....a ss card take up to 6 weeks to come through. Companies and banks zero out your ss number (put in 000-000-0000) until it comes through. OP will need to apply for one a week to 10 days after he gets into the country, but will be able to open an account and get paid with no issues.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Micksy Rabbit

Thanks guys. Great help

Ish.....a ss card take up to 6 weeks to come through. Companies and banks zero out your ss number (put in 000-000-0000) until it comes through. OP will need to apply for one a week to 10 days after he gets into the country, but will be able to open an account and get paid with no issues.

If the OP is over there on a legal visa (such as the J1) he is perfectly entitled to apply for a SSN & the bank will be aware of that when they look at the visa stamp on his passport. But if he is over there on an extended holiday on only the ESTA visa waiver, he is not entitled to a SSN. He will have considerable difficulty opening a bank account without one, or without proof that he is entitled one. Hence my asking what kind of visa he was over there on.

Yes, but have they been able to open bank accounts since the Patriot Act came in and banks began being very strict on the documentation needed to open a bank account?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

It's true. I have an...associate that lived there illegally for a long time and she said one bank in particular (not sure if I can name them but they're one of the biggest) had a reputation for opening accounts for illegals. She had an account with them (only a basic checking account obviously), and this was maybe 6 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Bank of America will open an account without a social. They opened one for me back in 2011 just after I was married. At that point I was on a holiday visa and not planning on staying in the US (I only moved out last year). There was no problem opening the account.

In general, it depends on the policy of the bank. Some other banks wouldn't do it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

You dont need a SSN number to open a bank account. In fact you dont need to be a permanent resident to get a SSN.

Also true that illegals can open a bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Bank of America will open an account without a social. They opened one for me back in 2011 just after I was married. At that point I was on a holiday visa and not planning on staying in the US (I only moved out last year). There was no problem opening the account.

In general, it depends on the policy of the bank. Some other banks wouldn't do it at all.

I was looking at opening an account over there, because I think I'm moving on the year long j1 next year. What did you take into the BoA with you (I'm visiting in a few weeks). Thanks :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    I was looking at opening an account over there, because I think I'm moving on the year long j1 next year. What did you take into the BoA with you (I'm visiting in a few weeks). Thanks :).

As far as I recall I just had a passport and proof of address (in the US).

Advertisement