Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braun Factory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

tonyheaney wrote: »
    The same newspaper aid that Pennies Development was a done deal!!!
    brianblaze wrote: »
    Get what you pay for with the Carlow People.... Although it is a done deal, just they ain't paying money to develop the site
    The Penny's development start date was also reported by the Nationalist (to be fair).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

FG website have it down as a developer having bought it and the IDAmarketing it to clients currently with a view to minor updates being done within a few months

Ok news I supoose. Hardly the same as a new employer coming in immediately though.
    What I'm getting here is Netwatch taking part of it and the IDA handling the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

road_high wrote: »
    What I'm getting here is Netwatch taking part of it and the IDA handling the rest?

That's what I got from reading the Nationalist while in town today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

http://kclr96fm.com/new-business-technology-park-for-carlow/

So, now we can have another half full (I'm an optimist) complex in Carlow... Woo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

General election, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

madmaggie wrote: »
    General election, anyone?

Why do you think this is a political stunt?

Check out the front page of the nationalist..... The whitening job they've done on Gallaghers teeth is priceless

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Why do you think this is a political stunt?

Just being cynical, as a former Braun employee I'd love to see the place being used again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Re: New Business & Technology park for Carlow

I'm thinking of going back and doing a course and if lucky a follow up degree in computers and electronics, software and game apps but im a bit unsure what course i should do. im thinking of applying to the carlow institute of further education and they have 4 im interested in doing. I don't want to go down the wrong road so want to plan a head.

• Multimedia Production & Digital Movie
    • Games & Apps Development
    • Information Technology & Network Technician
    • Web Design & Digital Marketing

With the New Business & Technology park for Carlow coming soon what kind of jobs will be there? I have been told that the Web Design & Digital Marketing could prove useful in that area. But will there be jobs there if i factor the new park in to my plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I don't think anyone can tell you what kind of jobs will be there, it might be all or none of your career choices. That would depend on what businesses the new developers manage to get in there and whether they have any vacancies in the foreseeable future. Some existing businesses might simply relocate there to reduce overheads rather than needing more space.

• Advertisement

Pick a career path based on what you want to do, not on a half filled industrial plot.

Outside of Carlow IT, what are Carlows biggest employers?
    There is MSD, Thermo Air, Burnside, Unum, Oglesby and Butler that employ decent numbers. How much each I've no idea?
    Whatever way you look at it, there was a huge cull of large employers out of Carlow the past decade.

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Re: New Business & Technology park for Carlow

I'm thinking of going back and doing a course and if lucky a follow up degree in computers and electronics, software and game apps but im a bit unsure what course i should do. im thinking of applying to the carlow institute of further education and they have 4 im interested in doing. I don't want to go down the wrong road so want to plan a head.

• Multimedia Production & Digital Movie
    • Games & Apps Development
    • Information Technology & Network Technician
    • Web Design & Digital Marketing

With the New Business & Technology park for Carlow coming soon what kind of jobs will be there? I have been told that the Web Design & Digital Marketing could prove useful in that area. But will there be jobs there if i factor the new park in to my plan?

Be crazy to factor in a maybe plan of new jobs into any career planning. In today's jobs markets you have to be flexible, especially if seeking work for the first time. There is absolutely no guarantee of a related job in Carlow or indeed within commuting distance, so be open to the possibility of moving for a while if that's what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

road_high wrote: »
    Outside of Carlow IT, what are Carlows biggest employers?
    There is MSD, Thermo Air, Burnside, Unum, Oglesby and Butler that employ decent numbers. How much each I've no idea?
    Whatever way you look at it, there was a huge cull of large employers out of Carlow the past decade.

Is Thompson still open, the metal fabrication place??

Is Thompson still open, the metal fabrication place??

Yes. Looks busy too these days. Plenty of cars in the car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Just being cynical, as a former Braun employee I'd love to see the place being used again.

It would make a great cattle mart.

foggy_lad wrote: »

Is this some kind of pisstake? Cattle marts belong on outskirts of towns and not in the heart of business and close to residential areas.

foggy_lad wrote: »

Seen a few mad cows in there over the years!

That'd be a bad moooooooove....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

brianblaze wrote: »
    That'd be a bad moooooooove....

Cud we just stop the cow puns?

• Advertisement

Have you heifer heard me making a cow pun?

Ah lads, back to the topic, hard to see how they would subdivide the building. It would really suit something like a call centre, along the lines of VHI in the old Feildcrest plant in Kilkenny. There were underground gas tanks, I wonder if they have to be removed or made safe in some way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ah lads, back to the topic, hard to see how they would subdivide the building. It would really suit something like a call centre, along the lines of VHI in the old Feildcrest plant in Kilkenny. There were underground gas tanks, I wonder if they have to be removed or made safe in some way?
    Them tanks would be perfect for slurry storage and it could be sold by the barrowful to local gardeners for their roses

Ok, I'm remooving myself from this bovine thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭rameire

I have heard from a good sauce that the Braun box factory will be a spaghetti drying facility.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    I have heard from a good sauce that the Braun box factory will be a spaghetti drying facility.

If there are any old hairdryers left in the place, it could be a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Was there any more on the Amazon rumours as they are sponsoring a course in the it from next year on,

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

mightyreds wrote: »
    Was there any more on the Amazon rumours as they are sponsoring a course in the it from next year on,

Amazon have just bought the old Jacobs factory in Tallaght and they also have data and call centres nearby so I doubt they will be moving to Carlow unless there are huge chunks of money being thrown at them.

• Advertisement

Amazon have just bought the old Jacobs factory in Tallaght and they also have data and call centres nearby so I doubt they will be moving to Carlow unless there are huge chunks of money being thrown at them.

Sounds like they prob looked at the Braun site but went with something in Dublin instead.

Advertisement