Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braun Factory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Amazon have just bought the old Jacobs factory in Tallaght and they also have data and call centres nearby so I doubt they will be moving to Carlow unless there are huge chunks of money being thrown at them.

These multinationals are a struggle to get out of Dublin, even to places an hour or less away. Being closer to the airport is likely a huge factor as Id imagine they'd have a daily stream of execs coming and going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

road_high wrote: »
    These multinationals are a struggle to get out of Dublin, even to places an hour or less away. Being closer to the airport is likely a huge factor as Id imagine they'd have a daily stream of execs coming and going.
    I doubt it, many multi-nationals would use video-conferencing for day-to-day stuff and execs would only travel for less frequent events such as board meetings, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

The logistics would favour Dublin particularly for an operation like Amazon: population size of Dublin means it's probably the biggest county for orders, why have a distribution centre away from your largest market segment and don't forget bringing in product via your largest segment to move it to a small market segment only to re-distribute back to original point of entry.

People need to look hard at Carlow and determine what it's strengths and advantages are and then exploit them not try to make firms fit. A lot of legacy issues as well regarding union attitudes and potential investors need to be assured they won't run the gauntlet of ridiculous union behaviour as has been evidenced in the past. The world has changed and it's controlled by neo-liberal conservative money men whose sole objective is to ensure an ROI for their investors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

They looked, asked for some incentive from local government to set up warehousing in Carlow and never heard back... Amazon saw Carlow as an ideal spot because of proximity to Dublin and rosslare and off motorway.... Got nothing back so moved on. Indicative of Carlow council really

• Registered Users Posts: 60,633 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

brianblaze wrote: »
    They looked, asked for some incentive from local government to set up warehousing in Carlow and never heard back... Amazon saw Carlow as an ideal spot because of proximity to Dublin and rosslare and off motorway.... Got nothing back so moved on. Indicative of Carlow council really

Isn't that part of the reason the Penny's development hasn't gone ahead so far as well they want and haven't received some incentives from local government.

I read planning was ok it was all down to money now.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I doubt it, many multi-nationals would use video-conferencing for day-to-day stuff and execs would only travel for less frequent events such as board meetings, etc.

You'd think but in my experience this ain't the case. Still enormous face to face travel and meetings in the corp world anywhere I've worked anyhow. Even more so with clients.

This is truly shocking if true. It actually would be ideak for logistics.

Yep. IF what I was told was true from my Amazon friend he'd never heard of the name!

Yep. IF what I was told was true from my Amazon friend he'd never heard of the name!

Sorry I dont get Ya, heard of what name?

The Lapple factory must be coming available soon too after their last tenant went bust? The IDA has really failed Carlow the past decade but then again most similar regional towns would probably say the same!

• Advertisement

Sorry I dont get Ya, heard of what name?

Amazon. He didn't know what they did. Senior council member at the time.

Again, so I'm told, hearsay etc

See that's the problem. We elect a bunch of funeral goers with no grasp of the modern world or the knowledge economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dunebasher

The Lapple factory must be coming available soon too after their last tenant went bust? The IDA has really failed Carlow the past decade but then again most similar regional towns would probably say the same!

Business is carrying on in the Lapple Factory. Seems to be two companies there. Moore Environmental Ltd & Cental Engineering Ltd. Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Idiots. The amount of work even in the construction of these data centers alone. Complete ignorance

'Twas to be a central hub for Amazon prime Ireland, but never happened. I think the space would have needed serious work either way though, to make the warehouse bigger.

'Twas to be a central hub for Amazon prime Ireland, but never happened. I think the space would have needed serious work either way though, to make the warehouse bigger.

Crying shame as Amazon are a blue chip employer, just what the South East craves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I went to the Adult guidance last week on burrin street and I was told this sale was a white elephant. I figured i could go to college (mature student) learn computers and perhaps apply for a job in a few years. The Guidance Councillor said don't bother as its a white elephant and not to bother!!! perhaps he was right that going back to do this is a dream and a pointless one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I wonder would FAS, or whatever they're called now, would say. I can't imagine them being so forthright in saying 'white elephant'. :rolleyes:

tonyheaney wrote: »
    I went to the Adult guidance last week on burrin street and I was told this sale was a white elephant. I figured i could go to college (mature student) learn computers and perhaps apply for a job in a few years. The Guidance Councillor said don't bother as its a white elephant and not to bother!!! perhaps he was right that going back to do this is a dream and a pointless one.

Non sense. If the site can be converted into attractive units for new type industries like financial services etc there is no reason whatsoever to think this will be a "white elephant". To be honest I wouldnt have much faith in any so called guidance counsellor with such a downbeat and negative attitude. Shocking stuff.
    If you want to go back to college, do it for you and to develop your own skills and future. Don't base studying on the possibility of future IDA backed jobs in certain areas. This is a crazy way to map a career and am amazed this counsellor didn't spell this out to you. Education and skills are never a weight to carry. This person frankly hasn't a clue...

Again, build a career about what you want to do.... You'll find more work, more happiness and more fulfilment in what you want to do as opposed to where the jobs are. Take it from someone who knows, doing what you love is a million times more rewarding than an over inflated bank balance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Again, build a career about what you want to do.... You'll find more work, more happiness and more fulfilment in what you want to do as opposed to where the jobs are. Take it from someone who knows, doing what you love is a million times more rewarding than an over inflated bank balance

Thanks Brian :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Just out of nosiness, are there machines still in the Braun factory or is it just a shell of a building?
    Crying shame as Amazon are a blue chip employer, just what the South East craves.

Google the vid of the guys working in the Amazon warehouse in Wales. Not exactly blue chip at picker level. That said, all employment is welcome in the Carlow area.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Just out of nosiness, are there machines still in the Braun factory or is it just a shell of a building?

Google the vid of the guys working in the Amazon warehouse in Wales. Not exactly blue chip at picker level. That said, all employment is welcome in the Carlow area.

True but they are one of the top companies in the world and even having their entry level jobs locally would be a boon. There is a large traditional working class (and I mean this in no disrespectful way) in Carlow town that traditionally worked in Industry such as the Sugar factory, Braun etc that in many ways have been disenfranchised as new jobs have been become more skilled and educationally demanding. So even jobs like this would have help fill the void for that cohort, who struggle to maintain employment in the current scenario.
    Also, even the name and it's presence would be prestige if they'd picked Carlow.

An Amazon warehouse minimum wage job's in a town like Carlow would be huge no matter what you think of the work practice and tax avoidance.

Taking a couple of hundred people off the dole would be a huge boost to local economy and the spirt of the town with so many more people employed.

It's always better to be moaning and b1tching about a sh1t job than not having one at all.

An Amazon warehouse minimum wage job's in a town like Carlow would be huge no matter what you think of the work practice and tax avoidance.

Taking a couple of hundred people off the dole would be a huge boost to local economy and the spirt of the town with so many more people employed.

It's always better to be moaning and b1tching about a sh1t job than not having one at all.

Totally agree. I think Carlow is a great business town and super central location. It badly needs a boost, and something like Amazon would do wonders.

Did a little more research on the Amazon thing today. It was very early stage discussions, but they weren't chatting with the council or LEO at any stage. They were chatting to the guy in charge of letting/ selling the property.

To be fair, from what I've heard, there aren't that many jobs in an Amazon warehouse.Mainly robotised in parts now. Having a brand like that in Carlow however, would be huge.

Did a little more research on the Amazon thing today. It was very early stage discussions, but they weren't chatting with the council or LEO at any stage. They were chatting to the guy in charge of letting/ selling the property.

To be fair, from what I've heard, there aren't that many jobs in an Amazon warehouse.Mainly robotised in parts now. Having a brand like that in Carlow however, would be huge.

Thats it, it's the prestige of it. These companies often follow eachother too. Amazon would have had a halo effect.

So it will sit empty for a few more years then just under a different owner.

• Advertisement

Drove past it the other day. Grass is gone mad and the place looks terrible around the car park etc. Clearly forgot to keep the cleaners and gardening staff going.

Also, had my suspicions this would happen. Nobody lined up to go in at all.

Advertisement