Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braun Factory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

brianblaze wrote: »

That place in Dublin should get snapped up quickly enough. There's a big market for space in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

brianblaze wrote: »
    Drove past it the other day. Grass is gone mad and the place looks terrible around the car park etc. Clearly forgot to keep the cleaners and gardening staff going.

Also, had my suspicions this would happen. Nobody lined up to go in at all.

Pity. Wasn't Netwatch supposed to be moving into part of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

All sorts of rumours, seems they were just that

The old Fieldcrest plant in Kilkenny was very sucessfully converted into various office, business and manufacturing units. Something similar is what could work here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Advance facility that will create jobs for Carlow “still on track” says Pat Deering
    Around 16 million euro is to be invested on the site near Braun.

It’s hoped an Advance Facility to bring jobs to Carlow will be open by early 2019.

Back in 2015 it was announced that the IDA had identified Carlow as one of nine towns around the country that was in need of an investment boost.

However, it was expected that construction work on the site – that’s believed to be in the vicinity of the Braun site – would have begun earlier this year but that never materialised.

Around 16 million euro is to be invested there, and speaking to KCLR News, Carlow TD Pat Deering says he has now been assured that plans for the facility are still very much alive and will enhance the entire south eastern region greatly when it’s finally built.

http://kclr96fm.com/advance-facilty-that-will-create-jobs-for-carlow-still-on-track-says-pat-deering/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Still on track, eh? A bit like that pig flying overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Carlow is in dire need of investment. Shameful the way it's gone. And no not another shopping center.

Carlow is in dire need of investment. Shameful the way it's gone. And no not another shopping center.

Yes, jobs. And you're right not retail. Real, proper career quality employment.

Kinda playing Devils advocate a bit here but how do the IDA and Enterprise get quality projects into Carlow? Is it just that outside of Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick they seem to be having a pretty hard sell?

Are companies afraid they may not get the caliber of people?- well, you've a high quality IT as well as numerous 3rd level nearby in Dublin and Waterford.
    Is the infrastructure not up to scratch?- again it's pretty good with easy access to the M9 and motorway network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rum Ham!

Carlow badly needs more qualified jobs. I can't understand why Carlow isn't considered a viable location.

Rum Ham! wrote: »
    Carlow badly needs more qualified jobs. I can't understand why Carlow isn't considered a viable location.

It is a viable location as plenty of other companies located here successfully.

road_high wrote: »
    It is a viable location as plenty of other companies located here successfully.

Maybe my mind is gone blank but I can't think of any recent large amount of outside investment coming to the town/county

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Maybe my mind is gone blank but I can't think of any recent large amount of outside investment coming to the town/county

Merck Sharpe on the Dublin road . Unum or whatever its called . The Governmint offices on the O Brien road .

MSD, Unum, Autolaunch Magma?

Local large employers like Burnside and O&B have been doing quite well too. Burnside are often overlooked but they have three local plants and I think I read they employ 700 or more? So it's far from doom and gloom despite a lot of work to be done. Carlow should be proud of its local companies and their considerable achievements

MSD, Unum, Autolaunch Magma?

Local large employers like Burnside and O&B have been doing quite well too. Burnside are often overlooked but they have three local plants and I think I read they employ 700 or more? So it's far from doom and gloom despite a lot of work to be done. Carlow should be proud of its local companies and their considerable achievements[/QUOTE
    When I go to farm machinery shows in other countries you see Burnside rams on top of the range equipment . These companies would be sourcing components from all over the world and would be major brand names with reputations to uphold and they choose a Carlow product manufactured by a Carlow family business . They are opening a facility in the USA , California I think .
    The Green Machine is used on every continent except Antarctica and the reason it was bought out by Altech is they wanted access to the computerised feeding technology that Keenans developed . They are a company that are a pioneer in Smart farming and that is what saved the company . If they were a metal bending and fabricating company that was in difficulty they would have gone under . They always had an impressive stand in Agritechnica . I have met farmers from all over the world that use the machine .
    Hi Spec are now putting weigh cells and GPS on their muck spreaders as it is technology and record keeping where farm engineering is go .

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    Merck Sharpe on the Dublin road . Unum or whatever its called . The Governmint offices on the O Brien road .

I know Merck does be hiring at times but I'd say yad get into NASA sooner. Know people who moved from hydro hoist to Burnside when it closed. Autolaunch loads of people from lapple when it closed.
    All optimism is good and fine about these companies that mind you have been there a long time but it doesn't help newly qualified people looking for work. To turn a blind eye and say the place is an industrialized hub is silly.

I know Merck does be hiring at times but I'd say yad get into NASA sooner. Know people who moved from hydro hoist to Burnside when it closed. Autolaunch loads of people from lapple when it closed.
    All optimism is good and fine about these companies that mind you have been there a long time but it doesn't help newly qualified people looking for work. To turn a blind eye and say the place is an industrialized hub is silly.

Don't mean to be blunt, but there are plenty of oppurtinities in carlow and neighbouring counties for people that want them. But it's about having the right skills and experience. Days of unskilled assembly well paid jobs are pretty much gone

It is hard to get a start in your chosen area of work . There are some very good interview skills and career guidance people around but they cost a bit which can be hard to pay for when things are tight .

I agree some of the larger local companies are doing great. 3 outside companies in the last 8 years or so isn't great, in my opinion. That's what I meant by a viable location, it will of course be a good location for a local company. What I meant was that Carlow needs more skilled jobs as opposed to retail sector etc. (glad to get anything all the same) The amount of graduates coming out of college in Carlow compared to jobs available in the area is low.

• Advertisement

I agree some of the larger local companies are doing great. 3 outside companies in the last 8 years or so isn't great, in my opinion. That's what I meant by a viable location, it will of course be a good location for a local company. What I meant was that Carlow needs more skilled jobs as opposed to retail sector etc. (glad to get anything all the same) The amount of graduates coming out of college in Carlow compared to jobs available in the area is low.

Surely some of these Graduates should be entrepreneurs and be creating high value jobs in the town that educated them . Aside from transition year there is very little nurturing of entrepreneurship in the education system .

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Netwatch is also a global company now. Based in Carlow

Surely some of these Graduates should be entrepreneurs and be creating high value jobs in the town that educated them . Aside from transition year there is very little nurturing of entrepreneurship in the education system .

Not how it works. They don't "owe Carlow" something just because they've done a taxpayer funded study there! Talent and skills tend to be drawn to buzzing, creative places (see Dublin) and it thus becomes a snowball effect of economic growth. Carlow needs to foster it's own niches and things it's good at (engineering) to attract more investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

Not how it works. They don't "owe Carlow" something just because they've done a taxpayer funded study there! Talent and skills tend to be drawn to buzzing, creative places (see Dublin) and it thus becomes a snowball effect of economic growth. Carlow needs to foster it's own niches and things it's good at (engineering) to attract more investment.

I agree with you that we need to foster hubs/clusters and develop areas of expertise but these should also be scalable and as you say engineering is an obvious choice.

However, there is a political obsession with MNCs and also with exporting whereas indigenous SMEs are the actual lifeblood of the economy both locally and nationally. We need to refocus our efforts and get some practicality back into quangos such as Enterprise Ireland who are run by the management consultants types who have never got their hands dirty.

Ridiculous that you have the likes of Pat Deering saying things "are on course" yet providing no detail - usual political speel all soundbites no substance.

Funny that you think graduates and not people working for years in the various sectors should become entrepreneurs. Where does the capital come from to setup these businesses from people straight out of third level. No offence but a silly expectation

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Be well and win

Funny that you think graduates and not people working for years in the various sectors should become entrepreneurs. Where does the capital come from to setup these businesses from people straight out of third level. No offence but a silly expectation

The local LEO can give a lot of advice and grant aid to people starting up their own company. There is usually 15+ entreprenurs at the Carlow final of the Best young entrepreneur every year and many of those come from the IT. Unum allowed the winner 2 years (Equiratings) ago to set up in their own Unum office in the town centre and last years winner has his own place up by MS&D now. Both start up founders are in their 20s and not long out of college.

http://kclr96fm.com/carlow-councillor-says-upgrading-carlow-city-status-attract-investment/
    Not sure what difference sticking city on will do, it's hardly addresses the main reason/s for lack of investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

http://kclr96fm.com/carlow-councillor-says-upgrading-carlow-city-status-attract-investment/
    Not sure what difference sticking city on will do, it's hardly addresses the main reason/s for lack of investment.

Stupid ideas have never stopped someone from looking for free publicity before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm all in favour of this but who is going to feed the gondolas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When it was built back in 1974 it was one of the biggest factories in Ireland.

Advertisement