Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braun Factory

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The site was discussed by Sean Gallagher on KLCLR the other day. He said they had a few potential clients that were "close" to signing up but didn't in the end. To be honest it sounds but like they don't know what to do wit the site.
    All sounded quite muddled. Said the factory was/is very difficult to split into smaller units and marketed that way. Also something about the IDA developing a new office unit on the site which seems a tad bizarre seen as they can't manage to let what's currently there!

If the powers that be gave a flying ****e about Carlow the two sites (ex Braun and ex Irish sugar) could have rightly been included and funded under the rubbish Ireland 2040 plan as they are ripe for development, strategic and could be catalysts fro growth in south Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Lidl are building a distribution centre in Newbridge. This would have been perfect for the Braun site, massive building and warehouse, staff canteen facilities, loading bays, the lot. It shows how much interest IDA (or whatever they're called now) have in matching up the needs of business to vacant sites. I bet Lidl would be delighted to be spared the building costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

madmaggie wrote: »
    Lidl are building a distribution centre in Newbridge. This would have been perfect for the Braun site, massive building and warehouse, staff canteen facilities, loading bays, the lot. It shows how much interest IDA (or whatever they're called now) have in matching up the needs of business to vacant sites. I bet Lidl would be delighted to be spared the building costs.

Having worked for Lidl in their distribution centre in Newbridge for years, the Braun factory isn't remotely suitable for a Lidl distribution centre.

By the sounds of Gallagher, it sounds like a lot of potential clients can’t contour the Braun factory to their individual need. I’d say it would be same with Lidl, they’d need a brand new warehouse to work for them. Pity they couldn’t be enticed to Carlow rather than Newbridge though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Having worked for Lidl in their distribution centre in Newbridge for years, the Braun factory isn't remotely suitable for a Lidl distribution centre.

Sorry, my mistake! I thought they were building a brand new centre, didn't realise there was one there already. I thought that type of business would suit the Braun site, I can't see manufacturing ever returning there.

Sorry, my mistake! I thought they were building a brand new centre, didn't realise there was one there already. I thought that type of business would suit the Braun site, I can't see manufacturing ever returning there.

I think if they could split it like the old Fieldcrest site in KK it would be more realistic. I can see manufacturing there, just not the Assembly type with of Braun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DancingHomer

So this property company led by Gallagher bought a massive industrial site and just expected to rent it out 'as is' ?

What happened to the talk of turning it into a Business Park, as per their brochure with modified drawings/photos? Was the cost of re-development going to be borne by the tenants lol?

The company sound like property flippers more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

road_high wrote: »
    If the powers that be gave a flying ****e about Carlow the two sites (ex Braun and ex Irish sugar) could have rightly been included and funded under the rubbish Ireland 2040 plan as they are ripe for development, strategic and could be catalysts fro growth in south Leinster.

I think Portlaoise has been given that honour as the town to lead the catalyst of growth in the 2040 plan.

I think Portlaoise has been given that honour as the town to lead the catalyst of growth in the 2040 plan.

Oh I wonder which Senior Cabinet Minister decided that one! All thing is a farce anyhow and will fall flat on its arse come and go next election. You can't just cherry pick certain towns and favour them unless there's a very good reason to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

The trouble with the Braun building is that it has a relatively low floor to ceiling height in most of the main building and would only suit certain activities as would the automated warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

I didn’t see any report of Portlaoise being named in the plan? Just some whispers that Flanagan got a commitment for the hospital to stay open to keep him quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

radharc wrote: »
    I didn’t see any report of Portlaoise being named in the plan? Just some whispers that Flanagan got a commitment for the hospital to stay open to keep him quiet.
    Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan is welcoming plans for a multi-million euro pilot regeneration project to be undertaken in Portlaoise.

The Laois Fine Gael TD says it will “create a new vision for the centre of the town, as a demonstration project to show how the best quality planning, urban design and implementation can create turnaround towns.”

http://www.midlands103.com/news-centre/live-government-announces-project-ireland-2040/

Pretty much this "plan" in a nutshell...Goodies and focus for a few molly coddled towns and cities around the country (usually with Ministers/strong influence), go jump for us less fortunate residents and taxpayers elsewhere.
    I follow Minister Coveney on FB and the shopping list he has on the board fro Cork would make a parish pump wince. Hence why I think this plan will fall flat on its arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm predicting here now that the Braun factory will be knocked down and the land used for houses. I can't see anybody going into it any time soon. I'd love to be wrong.

Advertisement