Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White Male Privilege

• 08-05-2015 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭AlphaRed

Do you think it's real? Just because you're a man and white life is so much easier? This topic is probably more visible in America (if it exists at all) than in Ireland. To be honest, these days it feels like there is so much support and encouragement for women than there is men. After all, isn't mostly men who commit suicide? For the record I live in a tiny box studio apartment and it really doesn't feel privilege all.

Here is a more detailed explanation of white male privilege (explained by a feminist)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdjrA2Jy9UQ
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

No. No. No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There's nothing Social or Fun about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

...........explained by a feminist

Stopped reading right here.

Click bait is obvious click bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭AlphaRed

AKW wrote: »
    There's nothing Social or Fun about this.

About your thread? Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

hate videos that have micro cuts, any video i see it in the person is usually some loud mouth twat that love to listen to themselves waffle on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

The suicide stat is misleading. More women attempt suicide but more men succeed. This is because women generally choose methods with a higher failure rate. Men are naturally drawn to more reliable ways such as gunshot etc.

Also, no good will come of this thread. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Dizregarden das wenchling.

as she sits in her room of bricks built by the hand of der white herren.
    und using eine whitemankomputer.

ungrateful unterfrau. I will slap her face wis meine bratwurst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Privilege as used by SJWs, is a bullsh!t concept designed to invalidate somebody's opinions, or justify double standards purely based on their demographic.

Using "white male privilege" to either shut somebody up or justify treating them differently is literally the definition of both racism and sexism. It's discrimination based on nothing other than the demographic somebody happened to be born into, and I for one find it sickening that it's gaining so much traction lately as a legitimate debating tactic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

White male privilege probably does exist if you are one of the tiny minority who come from a wealthy, well connected family. As for the other 99.9% its a load of crap.

Eta the women of those families do a lot better than the average white man too so maybe it's a financial privilege rather that a gender or race one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The suicide stat is misleading. More women attempt suicide but more men succeed. This is because women generally choose methods with a higher failure rate. Men are naturally drawn to more reliable ways such as gunshot etc.

Also, no good will come of this thread. :pac:
    The Male stats are missing hundreds of in car suicides

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

all those men who died/were permanently injured in industrial work weren't using their privilege correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

All I can gather about privilege is that people are always ordering others to check theirs. 'Check your privilege' they'll say. So I guess whatever it is it's important. Or a flight risk. Maybe even both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

eviltwin wrote: »
    White male privilege probably does exist if you are one of the tiny minority who come from a wealthy, well connected family. As for the other 99.9% its a load of crap.

This times 100000

And of course, under this we also have significant privilege for small but influential groups of women, African Americans, (don't even get me started on intersectionality), and just about every other group

Strangely enough its often these small privileged minorities within any group who lament most about how persecuted they are, in spite of having access to wealth, education and opportunity that the vast majority of the populace will never have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

AlphaRed wrote: »
    Do you think it's real? Just because you're a man and white life is so much easier? This topic is probably more visible in America (if it exists at all) than in Ireland. To be honest, these days it feels like there is so much support and encouragement for women than there is men. After all, isn't mostly men who commit suicide? For the record I live in a tiny box studio apartment and it really doesn't feel privilege all.

Here is a more detailed explanation of white male privilege (explained by a feminist)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdjrA2Jy9UQ

Being white and male doesn't mean your life will be fantastic, it just means it has the potential to be more fantastic than if you were say black/female/muslim/ insert any other 'oppressed' group

Like people often say 'black people aren't oppressed , if they were then why would the US president be black?' and same for angela merkel or other wealthy or powerful women/blacks, it doesn't mean people in these groups can't be in more privileged positions than you as a white male. The point is that the vast majority of people occupying privileged and powerful positions are white males.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

All I can gather about privilege is that people are always ordering others to check theirs. 'Check your privilege' they'll say. So I guess whatever it is it's important. Or a flight risk. Maybe even both.

It should be stored carefully in the overhead bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did you know that the population of the UK is 52% female? Its probably the same here, why? Cos men are driven to early graves by the policies of the .01% who are getting exponentially richer at our expense.

Its not a gender thing - its an us and them thing. Feminists are fighting the wrong war. They used to fight the correct one back in the 70s but now they are obsessed by the politics of that chromosome to the exclusion of everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

It's a question of perspective more than anything else, I think.

We live in a country on a continent with mostly homogenously white populations. The vast majority of people we interact with on a day-to-day basis are white. So of course we wouldn't consider it a privilege being white.

I think male privilege is definitely nowhere near as pronounced as it was even some 20 years ago when I first started working. The playing field seems to even out slowly in that respect.

But where skin colour is concerned - ask yourself if you honestly think your life would have been the same if your skin was darker than it actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Time travel to the past is exclusively a white male privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I think everyone who gives out about privilege are secretly grateful that the natural leaders and innovators are in charge.

The irony is that if they took responsibility for themselves and educated themselves in the Classical Western tradition which has birthed and nurtured our modern civilisation then they wouldn't be bellyaching half as much because they would learn the importance of taking responsibility rather than demanding rights with no responsibility, and that is their downfall.

They demand freedom and then they complain when they are free.

What is to be done!?

• Advertisement

Did you know that the population of the UK is 52% female? Its probably the same here, why? Cos men are driven to early graves by the policies of the .01% who are getting exponentially richer at our expense.

Its not a gender thing - its an us and them thing. Feminists are fighting the wrong war. They used to fight the correct one back in the 70s but now they are obsessed by the politics of that chromosome to the exclusion of everything else.

I used to think this but then I heard a quote a while ago that was something along the lines of, 'the world that many men fear is a world where females occupy the roles and live the lives that men occupy at present'
    And while I think saying women, well western women, are 'oppressed' is a completely false exaggeration it just made me think about how different the world would be if that quote were true. Like imagine the majority of presidents, world leaders, bosses, CEOs managers, principals, judges, bankers and every other major powerful position in the world were mostly filled by women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Shenshen wrote: »
    But where skin colour is concerned - ask yourself if you honestly think your life would have been the same if your skin was darker than it actually is.

The ladies seem to think it's be better, the amount spent on fake tan is astronomical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Like people often say 'black people aren't oppressed , if they were then why would the US president be black?' and same for angela merkel or other wealthy or powerful women/blacks, it doesn't mean people in these groups can't be in more privileged positions than you as a white male. The point is that the vast majority of people occupying privileged and powerful positions are white males.

Those men and their advantageous position doesn't mean squat for an average man though just like Obama's presidency hasn't any real benefits for the average black man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

You have to wonder about the precious middle class hipsters who are so brainwashed with this made up guilt complex about having a fairly easy, stress free life whilst simultaneously being white &/or male.

It's like they have their own equivalent to transgenderism, except in this case it's a persecuted, sallow skinned minority just wanting to burst out of that pale, pasty aryan body they're trapped in. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Eta the women of those families do a lot better than the average white man too so maybe it's a financial privilege rather that a gender or race one

Socioeconomic status is definitely a factor. If you go for a job interview and speak with a middle class accent, you're more likely to get the job than if you speak with a working class accent. That much isn't controversial.

In interview situations it's also not controversial that we tend to ascribe positive attributes to to taller people, dominant people, broad shouldered people. Those 3 attributes are more likely to be possessed by men than women.

When men are good looking people ascribe all the positive personality traits to them. When women are good looking people ascribe the qualities of coldness and backstabbing.

It's built into our psychology. I don't know why it's there but to deny it's existence is the hallmark of the self-unaware moron.

And while I think saying women, well western women, are 'oppressed' is a completely false exaggeration it just made me think about how different the world would be if that quote were true. Like imagine the majority of presidents, world leaders, bosses, CEOs managers, principals, judges, bankers and every other major powerful position in the world were mostly filled by women.

Don't think the world would really be all that different tbh. Interestingly, and this is just my own experience, most guys I know have absolutely no hangups about and tend to get on very well with both woman colleagues and woman superiors at work or in teams - however, I know a lot of women who despise working for other women.

I'm not sure if the reverse is true - that a lot of men despise working for other men? Is this a thing? I couldn't really care less about someone's gender or other demographic attributes as long as they're not an asshole.

When women are good looking people ascribe the qualities of coldness and backstabbing.

Wait what? :confused:

Most beautiful woman I know also happens to be the nicest woman I know, I've certainly never ascribed negative personality traits to a woman based on her being physically attractive O_o

Am I unusual or is your argument balls? :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Being rich and well connected is what gives you privilege.

In the US most rich people are white. WASP.

OJ Simpson walked while 'poor white trash' still go to prison.

In the days after 9/11 most planes were grounded. But the Bin Laden family was allowed fly out because they were business associates of the Bushes. No conspiracy, just a reflection that rich people don't have to follow the same rules as the plebs.

• Advertisement

Wait what? :confused:

Most beautiful woman I know also happens to be the nicest woman I know, I've certainly never ascribed negative personality traits to a woman based on her being physically attractive O_o

Am I unusual or is your argument balls? :p

I'm talking about research relating to job interviews.

Look up the research for yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

As a white male , yes, absolutely it does exist. Those who claim it doesn't generally have a poor understanding of what is meant by it, in my experience.

And yet the vast majority of white males don't occupy priveliged and powerful positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

tritium wrote: »
    And yet the vast majority of white males don't occupy priveliged and powerful positions.

See this is the kind of stupid nonsense that people trot out here.

If you can't see why the above post is dumb on your own, there is no hope for you, and I won't provide false hope by bothering to explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ability trumps race every time. The prejudiced argument is a convenient cop out. Have a read about Roland Fryer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Being a heterosexual white cis-gender male mightn't confer any advantages in and of itself but it does reduce the likelihood of experiencing prejudice. Where the privilege nonsense falls apart is that any Westerner is privileged based on our access to technology, quality of life, place in the queue for resources, etc... So, in the SJW's heavily flawed logic, the only people entitled to have opinions on equality are poverty stricken, bisexual, trans-gender women with extremely severe disabilities in the Congo. Everyone else's is irrelevant, including that of the SJW.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So let me get this straight....You have a feminist woman, who is mixed raced, going on about "white men"
    Utter utter shite. She should go to the arse end of Africa where people are starving to death and start talking about how white men are more privileged than herself.

She's living in her own bubble with a camera and access to youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I am privileged because I am a white heterosexual male. To claim otherwise would be nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

It's real in America and in South Africa. Definitely. True for men in Muslim countries.

I think in the UK it's more about upper class male privilege, and THAT is very real. There are some clubs here or social circles you are more likely to be invited into if you are Irish and male.

People think or men think that this is negating their personal pain or struggle or their struggle as men. It's doesn't. It just means CERTAIN things. It does not mean I don't sympathize with genuine issues or personal struggle at all.

I do see it here with the Abortion debates. I mean come on the legislation is largely men ..you can't tell me that did not affect the fact that waiting for legislation on whether a woman who is suicidal can have an abortion or not. And that in and of itself is influenced by the church with is full of white SINGLE men.

It does not feel like privilege if you have always had it.

You could call lack of paternity leave ...female privilege ..they have it in sweden ...one of the most female friendly countries.

I believe most men are predisposed in their hearts and minds towards equality and see mainstream feminism as being so too. It's only on the net I see men say otherwise. It's only on the net I see extreme feminists.

I have certain privilege.... it changes according to perceptions of me ....or where i am etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

I wouldnt say it doesnt exist but I do think there is a lot more to it than white male = privilege. In some countries white people are nowhere near privileged and in others its more about class. A woman working in a university with a phd in gender studies is a lot more privileged than a lot of white males.

See this is the kind of stupid nonsense that people trot out here.

If you can't see why the above post is dumb on your own, there is no hope for you, and I won't provide false hope by bothering to explain.

With such a well thought out and cogent argument on your part how could you possibly be wrong!

but you are!

While you might like to indulge in guilt about being a white male I'm afraid you don't get to inflict that guilt on ever other white male. Since you're so certain that you enjoy white privilege maybe you could explain how exactly that manifests. How exactly are you more privileged than say oh, Carly Fiorina or Hilary Clinton?

• Advertisement

I'm talking about research relating to job interviews.

Look up the research for yourself

Ah, will do. Though I'm really not sure if you can apply the same criteria people use in interviews as you can to everyday social situations.

People think or men think that this is negating their personal pain or struggle or their struggle as men. It's doesn't. It just means CERTAIN things. It does not mean I don't sympathize with genuine issues or personal struggle at all.

The trouble is, SJWs use it as an excuse to invalidate literally anyone who discussed double standards against men or mens' rights, hence its toxic connotations. "You're privileged, stop whining", essentially.

I wouldnt say it doesnt exist but I do think there is a lot more to it than white male = privilege. In some countries white people are nowhere near privileged and in others its more about class. A woman working in a university with a phd in gender studies is a lot more privileged than a lot of white males.

There are loads of factors which influence how successful you're likely to be. Socioeconomic, class, education, area of birth, parents education, gender, race, age, attractiveness, ability to do the job.

Some factors are relevant such as education, behaviour and relevant experience. The thing is that we make judgements about people based on all the factors not just the relevant ones.

It can't be that hard to understand and pretending it doesn't exist is fairly ridiculous

Being a heterosexual white cis-gender male mightn't confer any advantages in and of itself but it does reduce the likelihood of experiencing prejudice.

Wholeheartedly disagree here. In the US under the Duluth model, cops assume any call about a domestic dispute involves a male perpetrator. You're far more likely to be labelled "creepy" if you're a man on your own walking through a park where kids are playing than if you're a woman doing the same. If people see a man and a woman having a heated argument, they're generally more likely to sympathise with and offer help to the woman. Etc.

Prejudice against men in general is everywhere in our society. Everywhere. And in my view, female privilege is being so blind to that, that some claim it doesn't exist at all. :rolleyes:

There are loads of factors which influence how successful you're likely to be. Socioeconomic, class, education, area of birth, parents education, gender, race, age, attractiveness, ability to do the job.

Some factors are relevant such as education, behaviour and relevant experience. The thing is that we make judgements about people based on all the factors not just the relevant ones.

It can't be that hard to understand and pretending it doesn't exist is fairly ridiculous

Men have unfair advantages in some areas and women have unfair advantages in other areas. All should be tackled and ended. But tallying up the number of double standards in favour and against, and assigning the words "privileged" and "oppressed" based on which group has even just marginally more of one than the other, is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Don't forget IQ Privilege. Can be attached to both males and females equally, but varies between races. So, if you have a higher IQ than average, through no fault of your own, you need to apologise for it, forever.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wholeheartedly disagree here. In the US under the Duluth model, cops assume any call about a domestic dispute involves a male perpetrator. You're far more likely to be labelled "creepy" if you're a man on your own walking through a park where kids are playing than if you're a woman doing the same. If people see a man and a woman having a heated argument, they're generally more likely to sympathise with and offer help to the woman. Etc.

Prejudice against men in general is everywhere in our society. Everywhere. And in my view, female privilege is being so blind to that, that some claim it doesn't exist at all. :rolleyes:

I'm talking about the grand scheme of things. To be honest, I've a very low opinion of the US police given their propensity for gunning down black people.

Misandry certainly exists, it's just a much smaller problem than misogyny.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

bnt wrote: »
    Don't forget IQ Privilege. Can be attached to both males and females equally, but varies between races. So, if you have a higher IQ than average, through no fault of your own, you need to apologise for it, forever.

It can vary between races but how much of that is down to the portion of wealthy people who are white and can afford to pay for a much better education for their children.

bnt wrote: »

Sums it up pretty well. The whole privilege angle is used in debates about inequality to guilt bomb some demographics into self-censorship, or failing that, shout them down. It's an utterly toxic ideology only used by people who are shooting for equality where they like it and the status quo everywhere else, under the guise of actually caring about others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement