Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House offers with the same EA

Options
  • 08-05-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm just wondering how people approach putting an offer on more than one house (not at the same time) with an EA.

Let's say there's a house for sale at €240k and someone already has an offer in at asking. You like the house so you offer €245k. The other bidder returns and out bids you and at this stage you want to withdraw your interest in the property as it's beyond your maximum budget.

A week or two later you go view another property from the same EA that's asking €200k. If the EA knows at this stage you've already had €245k to play with is he/she going to tell the seller, "this guy has more money and you could ask for more".

Is this a scenario that could or does happen?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

I thought it's what your willing to pay for the house, it shouldn't matter how much you have

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Potentially it could happen- yes- and personally I couldn't advise anyone- buyer or seller- to trust an estate agent (regardless of who the estate agent is). You have shown your cards- if you are seriously interested in another property the EA has for sale- I'd get someone to bid on your behalf. By all means go to view the property. Don't let on you're particularly interested- and then get a family member or a friend to look at it separately- and if you're interested- get them to put in a bid on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

jeni wrote: »
    I thought it's what your willing to pay for the house, it shouldn't matter how much you have

Yes, that's what I would be expecting.
    I was just wondering if the EA is likely to let on to the seller that they could potentially ask for another few €K as the EA would know I had more funds available.

It's probably an unlikely scenario though so I'd thought I'd check if they had any experience purchasing a house that was cheaper than a previous bid which may have fallen through elsewhere.

Advertisement