Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBM Websphere Question

Options
  • 08-05-2015 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I am new to Websphere and would like if someone could help clarify my understanding of my set-up in my office.

I have a web application that has 2 clusters, with 2 nodes in each cluster.

I know the set-up is deployed on 2 machines; A and B. I know that both machines are involved in each cluster, e.g.

Cluster 1 has a node from A and one from B.
    Cluster 2 has a node from A and one from B also.

I'm a little confused at how the set-up works. In the above, how many Websphere application servers are there? What is a cell?

Any help is very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I found this resource but it's still hasn't cleared it up.
    IBM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

I am new to Websphere and would like if someone could help clarify my understanding of my set-up in my office.

I know the set-up is deployed on 2 machines; A and B. I know that both machines are involved in each cluster, e.g.

I'm a little confused at how the set-up works. In the above, how many Websphere application servers are there? What is a cell?

Nodes, etc. in WAS are a bit of an abstract concept, but ultimately the hierarchy of organisation goes cell (top level) -> node -> server. In parallel with this, a cluster is a grouping of application servers, each of which is configured on/within a node, resulting in the alternative hierarchy of cell -> cluster -> server. So a cluster is a logical grouping of application servers, while a node is more of a physical location for these servers. The cell is the top level organisation "container" or scope and everything exists within that, albeit most stuff is defined at sub-scopes.

In your specific example, it sounds as though you have one cell, with 2 nodes and 2 clusters. Each cluster has a server physically located within each of the 2 nodes, i.e. you have the servers cluster1node1, cluster1node2, cluster2node1 and cluster2node2. To be really precise about it, clusters do not contain nodes, but they contain servers which exist within a node, if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

If I understand correctly, you have have two application servers here, each clustered across two nodes. Do you have access to the WAS admin console? It would probably make everything much clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Thanks all. I finally got it sorted in my head. You were right.

Advertisement