Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooded garden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Wow! Is the soil/water level higher than the level on the other side of the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

lk67 wrote: »
    Wow! Is the soil/water level higher than the level on the other side of the wall?

A good foot id say.

oleras wrote: »
    A good foot id say.

Ok, that's some of the problem. The wall is holding back the water like a dam. This has been exacerbated by the great work you did on the lawn. Before you cleaned it the water would trickle slowly down through the moss and thatch. Now it flows quickly to the wall!

The amount of rain that has fallen in the last week or so hasn't helped of course.

I would think you need to dig a channel by the wall, bore holes every couple of meters through the wall, fill channel with gravel and replace the soil on top - but get a builder's advice on this.

Perhaps wait and see does it reoccur first, although it could be the reason you had all the moss to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Remember we haven't had huge amounts of rainfall like other years and the ground has been quite firm so pooling was always going to occur once we got real heavy prolonged rain like today.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Remember we haven't had huge amounts of rainfall like other years and the ground has been quite firm so pooling was always going to occur once we got real heavy prolonged rain like today.

It has all soaked away now, maybe i am worrying over nothing.

There was an awful amount of rain dumped in ~12 hours, its just never pooled like that before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's been raining on and off since the weekend - which itself dumped a huge amount of water on us - so the water table would have been very high. our garden flooded twice - on saturday and today, and that happens about twice a year.
    sounds like the easiest thing you could do is core a 4 inch hole in the wall at the lowest practical point as it seems to be acting like a dam.

the moss may have been acting like a sponge, but it probably would not have been effective enough to soak up all that water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A temporary setback caused by the removal of the surface layer (facilitating accelerated run-off) which accumulated at boundary wall, soil's ability to absorb additional water is slowed.

Situation will greatly improve once the new layer grows. If you want to avoid unnecessary damp areas near wall, you could consider digging 1 or 2 soakage pits ( 500mm wide x 900mm deep and fill with pea gravel to 500mm and top with soil).

Football pitches get water logged, your garden is suffering similarly.

Would going over it with a fork help with drainage and general air circulation or would it need to be a machine removing plugs ?

The grass has been in a sorry state for years and years so im only getting around to sorting it now nd would rather start off on the right foot.

Forked holes fill in in no time and you'll be back to square one. Do as I suggest dig 2 holes, 1 hour's spade work and your drainage problem is solved .

No matter what course of action you choose...

Given our climate you will still get moss build up every year. This needs regular treating to keep it under control.

• Advertisement

Given our climate you will still get moss build up every year. This needs regular treating to keep it under control.

Yes but moss proliferates in damp and shaded areas. If one tackles the cause, ie dampness (probably little one can do if the area is shaded?) ie improve the soil drainage, this will significantly reduce the re-occurrence of moss during/after the 'wet season'.

One would rarely see moss on dry/free draining ground?

No moss = no treatments required :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

lk67 wrote:
    Perhaps wait and see does it reoccur first, although it could be the reason you had all the moss to start with.

Agreed, dig a soakaway

Yes but moss proliferates in damp and shaded areas. If one tackles the cause, ie dampness (probably little one can do if the area is shaded?) ie improve the soil drainage, this will significantly reduce the re-occurrence of moss during/after the 'wet season'.

One would rarely see moss on dry/free draining ground?

No moss = no treatments required :)

Well of course.

But the OP had loads of moss, and digging a couple of soak holes or even a trench will not solve that, it just stops the flooding.

Unless a complete drainage system is introduced the OP's moss will return and will need to be controlled.

Well of course.

But the OP had loads of moss, and digging a couple of soak holes or even a trench will not solve that, it just stops the flooding.

Unless a complete drainage system is introduced the OP's moss will return and will need to be controlled.

Don't be so ridiculous, installing a complete drainage system in that garden would be akin to firing canons to kill flies. You started off suggesting a chemical treatment, more wasted money, wasted effort etc and which would have to be repeated ad nauseam.

Don't be so ridiculous, installing a complete drainage system in that garden would be akin to firing canons to kill flies. You started off suggesting a chemical treatment, more wasted money, wasted effort etc and which would have to be repeated ad nauseam.

Ridiculous? Did you actually read my comments or just react like a petty individual?

I mentioned the drainage point to highlight your lack of common sense, but I was being nice about it without the false smiley face you used. After all you basically repeated what I said in my solution post!

What country do you live in? Not Ireland obviously... are you aware of our climate?

Also I never mentioned chemical treatment, although it is an option. Are you aware of the organic treatments for moss? Obviously you're behind the times...

Pull back in your horns there and think logically. I'm not getting involved in an argument on a thread that's trying to be helpful. The OP can choose whatever solution they like.

This is why Boards makes me cross sometimes!

Ridiculous? Did you actually read my comments or just react like a petty individual?

I mentioned the drainage point to highlight your lack of common sense, but I was being nice about it without the false smiley face you used. After all you basically repeated what I said in my solution post!

What country do you live in? Not Ireland obviously... are you aware of our climate?

Also I never mentioned chemical treatment, although it is an option. Are you aware of the organic treatments for moss? Obviously you're behind the times...

Pull back in your horns there and think logically. I'm not getting involved in an argument on a thread that's trying to be helpful. The OP can choose whatever solution they like.

This is why Boards makes me cross sometimes!

Did I really, I didn't think so, drilling the wall? Oh and by the way, here you go with regular treating? :

Tomorrow is another day

Did I really, I didn't think so, drilling the wall? Oh and by the way, here you go with regular treating?

Ouch, I'll stretch for the Aloe vera...

Standard procedure when building, and still no mention by me of chemicals there as you (mis)stated. Thanks for confirming that!

(Why am I even replying?)

Advertisement