Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vincent Browne - TV3 debate

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

fiachr_a wrote: »
    What's the story with these ghost Garda stations in County Waterford? One guy in the audience from Kilmac said they have to use Tramore while Conway said he's wrong, the others are still open. They can't both be right.

I think the guy was trying to make it out that the stations were being closed all over rural Waterford and he kind of got his facts wrong and Ciara Conway pulled him up on it. That guy seemed like he went in there with the intention of shouting at the politicians whilst giving himself high blood pressure in the process and while he was at it he seemed to be making up things up as he went along.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

obezyana wrote: »
    I think the guy was trying to make it out that the stations were being closed all over rural Waterford and he kind of got his facts wrong and Ciara Conway pulled him up on it. That guy seemed like he went in there with the intention of shouting at the politicians whilst giving himself high blood pressure in the process and while he was at it he seemed to be making up things up as he went along.

But what she forgot to tell the people was that many of the Stations outside of Waterford City, Tramore, Dungarvan and maybe Lismore are open for a short while each day. There might even be days when the stations dont even open.

That may be true. The guy who had his rant failed to mention that either. He said they were all closed all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

obezyana wrote: »
    That may be true. The guy who had his rant failed to mention that either. He said they were all closed all of the time.

Not sure about that ,didn't he say something about a button were you are been connected to a bigger station and had to wait for them to send a car. The green or orange light/man or something along those lines ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

A quick look here.
    http://www.garda.ie/stations/default.aspx

Shows some interesting facts.

Some Examples..

Kilmeaden opens for 3 hours Mon to Sat 10-1 o clock and an hour on Sunday 12 to 1.. Same for Kill and Rathgormack but the best is Leamybrien were it states than its open from 10-1 Mon to Sat IF a member is working
    but it does open for a half hour on Sundays 12.30 to 1,

Lets hope if you are a victim of crime in rural areas than its between 10 and 1 Monday to Saturday...:D

One thing I should add in the interest of fairness ,I am not from these areas so I don't know if these were proper stations at one time or if its a case of these stations always been like this .If these limited hours are due to cutbacks or not .

• Advertisement

Like you im not from those areas so im not really in the know but i would hazard a guess that even back in the boom times those rural stations were not manned at all times. Its a terrible thing to have to wait for the cops if something happens but to be fair even in the city you could be waiting half an hour or more for the cops to show up.

Advertisement