Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervision & Substitution.

Options
  • 08-05-2015 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi There,
    So , just as a matter of interest:
    1. How does S&S work?
    2. Does every teacher HAVE TO DO S&S?
    3. Is it only teachers that are part of a union that carry out S&S? and those that are NOT part of a union do not?

P.S. - I am not a teacher , I am just curious.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Not every teacher does it. However those that don't have to pay for the privilege of not doing it, about €1600 per year. All new teachers however will have no choice but to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Not every teacher does it. However those that don't have to pay for the privilege of not doing it, about €16000 per year. All new teachers however will have no choice but to do it.

Think you've an extra 0 there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

why would a non teacher be anyway interested in this scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Not every teacher does it. However those that don't have to pay for the privilege of not doing it, about €16000 per year. All new teachers however will have no choice but to do it.

Also teachers who were in the scheme had no choice but to do it either. Opt out wasn't allowed unless you weren't in the scheme in the academic year 2011/2012 I think.

theLuggage wrote: »
    Also teachers who were in the scheme had no choice but to do it either. Opt out wasn't allowed unless you weren't in the scheme in the academic year 2011/2012 I think.

You could opt out if you were in the scheme on a non pensionable basis.

• Advertisement

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Think you've an extra 0 there :)

Well spotted. Easy knowing that I am not a maths teacher. Must edit post.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

TheDriver wrote: »
    why would a non teacher be anyway interested in this scheme?

Well maybe I want to be a teacher.... Or maybe I am just asking a question because I want to , what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

jamie124 wrote: »
    Well maybe I want to be a teacher.... Or maybe I am just asking a question because I want to , what's the problem?

your explanation is sufficient Jamie124 thanks... back on topic folks

mod

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Has anyone reached their yearly limit on the substitution part of s & s? I am aware in some schools where there are more than 1 teacher per substitution slot that the first named in the slot nearly always gets 'picked' and will reach their quota a lot quicker whereas the 2nd or 3rd named hardly ever get a call.Should there not be a bit of transparency in this.There is one school where the Principal has chosen 5 slots but never gets caught!! It looks good on paper though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

ethical wrote: »
    Has anyone reached their yearly limit on the substitution part of s & s? I am aware in some schools where there are more than 1 teacher per substitution slot that the first named in the slot nearly always gets 'picked' and will reach their quota a lot quicker whereas the 2nd or 3rd named hardly ever get a call.Should there not be a bit of transparency in this.There is one school where the Principal has chosen 5 slots but never gets caught!! It looks good on paper though!!!

I know I have never seen either our Principal or our DP have their names on the list of those doing S&s but like in your case both of their names are on the rota....they also don't do any corridor supervision...neither have bought out so they should be doing their share

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

We do our corridor slots and do substitution as the need arises I.e. When stuck. Trust me it clocks up quickly. Every P and DP should be doing some it, especially break time supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

If somebody misses a day for sickness - either certified or "self-certified" - does that mean that the staff in those time S&S time slots have to cover the teacher (without being paid), or does the school have money to pay somebody to do it?

In what situation can somebody be paid for substitution or supervision nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

gaiscioch wrote: »
    If somebody misses a day for sickness - either certified or "self-certified" - does that mean that the staff in those time S&S time slots have to cover the teacher (without being paid), or does the school have money to pay somebody to do it?

In what situation can somebody be paid for substitution or supervision nowadays?

If it is certified leave, a sub can be paid.
    Self certified days are covered by S+S.

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    If it is certified leave, a sub can be paid.
    Self certified days are covered by S+S.

I *think* the first day of certified leave is not paid substitution. Open to correction. There were a load of new ones, including force majeur, but I don't know if they were implemented yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

ethical wrote: »

We had that problem, and we insisted that the names in the slots be called on a rota basis. It solved the problem and stopped a lot of resentment.

solerina wrote: »
    I know I have never seen either our Principal or our DP have their names on the list of those doing S&s but like in your case both of their names are on the rota....they also don't do any corridor supervision...neither have bought out so they should be doing their share

They certainly should. The problem with all these things is that while they annoy people, no one ever complains. We had a staff training day a few months ago, and had someone in talking to us about personnel issues in general. At the end, there was an anonymous questionnaire where people could vent about all these unfair things. We got the report back a few weeks ago - wow, you should have seen what came up. There's talk of a follow up to tackle some of these issues, but I suspect people will go back into their polite/scared shells

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

katydid wrote: »
    We had that problem, and we insisted that the names in the slots be called on a rota basis. It solved the problem and stopped a lot of resentment.

The way that I do it (if I have more than one person available in the slot) is that I pick the person with the lowest total hours. VSWare is great for that - it keeps a running total of hours done all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

If a teacher is away with a school group at a football match on their rostered lunchtime supervision day, must they find a teacher to swap their supervision days with? (I have seen some people swap their supervision, while heard of others that don't do anything about it and leave it to the principal to sort out, as they see it as not being their problem.)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

If a teacher is away with a school group at a football match on their rostered lunchtime supervision day, must they find a teacher to swap their supervision days with? (I have seen some people swap their supervision, while heard of others that don't do anything about it and leave it to the principal to sort out, as they see it as not being their problem.)

We would always be expected to swap with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

bearhugs wrote: »

Same here, which I think is very unfair as you are not relaxing during that lunch time, you are in fact supervising students with you at the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

I never swap with people when I'm away. When I was getting paid for it I did. There is a message up on our staffroom about swapping if you are away but my argument would be that I am already supervising during this period. I did ask my Union area rep about it but they never got back to me about it.

Why? You are working during that time.

People really have to stand up for themselves. EITHER you do the football matches OR you do the supervision.

I never get a swap. When I am away I am supervising for the entire time.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

I completely agree, you are supervising constantly when you're away. It's harder to organize a day away at a match, leaving work for your classes or whatever as well as swapping supervision. You're dead right we should stand up for ourselves more. I would be interested in the union policy, it's not something I've really thought to challenge in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

I contacted the union again and their line is this: If you are away on school business then you don't need to worry about getting anyone to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

doc_17 wrote: »
    I contacted the union again and their line is this: If you are away on school business then you don't need to worry about getting anyone to cover it.

Thanks. Was curious as to what went on in other schools. When I was in the situation, I was conscious that if I didn't swap days with someone, that it would be my colleagues that are also on supervision on that day that would be left to pick up the slack and thus get a bit annoyed with me over it.

Thanks. Was curious as to what went on in other schools. When I was in the situation, I was conscious that if I didn't swap days with someone, that it would be my colleagues that are also on supervision on that day that would be left to pick up the slack and thus get a bit annoyed with me over it.

But you're working, not off getting your nails done...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

I think our school is short of staff for s&s especially for supervision as some breaks and lunches are left unsupervised in various areas!! which isn't great to be honest , Let's hope NEXT SEPTEMBER more teachers sign up to s&s.

jamie124 wrote: »
    I think our school is short of staff for s&s especially for supervision as some breaks and lunches are left unsupervised in various areas!! which isn't great to be honest , Let's hope NEXT SEPTEMBER more teachers sign up to s&s.

Why would they? It isn't worth the measly bit of money they will EVENTUALLY pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

As far as I remember you can't actually opt back in. I was told this when I opted out - to consider what I may be losing out on down the road. Don't regret it yet anyway!

Advertisement